What's new

What to do in Hong Kong? (1 Viewer)

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everybody.

Going to Hong Kong for a business trip and I have one day all to myself. Whoo hoo! Anybody been there? What do you suggest someone with one day to spare do in this city? I'm staying at the Kowloon Shangri-La and would like to keep activities near there if possible.

TIA!!!
Todd

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Go shopping at the nearby HMV for movies and music. I believe there's a Starbucks across the street as well. It takes less than 15 minutes by cab or the subway (MTR), but definitely go to Mong-kok for more shopping. It's down Nathan Road, which is the main strip in Kowloon; nothing but shops. Oh, definitely check out the nightly street market on Temple Street, which is about 3 blocks off of Nathan Road. Highly recommended. Check out the waterfront at night and you will witness one of the most spectacular skylines in the world :emoji_thumbsup:

Going there myself in August. Note to self....pick up Air Supply SACD.

Edit....wear light clothing because it will be hot and humid.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I was there a year ago on business and got a day off, we went on the Ferry and went up on the tram for a view of the city. It is quite spectacular we enojyed some lunch overlooking the city. Afterwards we went and did a bit of shopping.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Todd,

I was there about 7 years ago for a few days and we had an excellent feast at a restaurant called the Jumbo floating restaurant. If memory serves me correctly I believe it is in aberdeen which is a short ride from Hong Kong. I'll bet its changed alot there since my last visit. let us know where you went and what you did.

Greg

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't in HMV or another chain store, too many bootlegs around. Make sure you DO try to find some good restaurant out of the tourist areas for some real Chinese food

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
If you want to buy music or DVD, HMV is really overpriced. You do occasionally run into bargains there, buy that's rare. "Win Win Shop" is a local chain that carry most everything that's legally available, even vinyl and laserdiscs. Prices are good as was the selection.

Oh, definitely do the ferry and the tram up the hill on HK Island.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
May be too late, but have a drink in the bar at the Peninsula and take the ferry across to the island. Take the tram up to Victoria Peak and walk around the peak. If you get over there in the early morning, go to the park to see the men with their birds.

Make sure that you only eat local food. And absolutely make sure that you have dim sum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks