Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What to do in Hong Kong?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 12:00 PM

Hey everybody.

Going to Hong Kong for a business trip and I have one day all to myself. Whoo hoo! Anybody been there? What do you suggest someone with one day to spare do in this city? I'm staying at the Kowloon Shangri-La and would like to keep activities near there if possible.

TIA!!!
Todd

#2 of 8 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 12:15 PM

Go shopping at the nearby HMV for movies and music. I believe there's a Starbucks across the street as well. It takes less than 15 minutes by cab or the subway (MTR), but definitely go to Mong-kok for more shopping. It's down Nathan Road, which is the main strip in Kowloon; nothing but shops. Oh, definitely check out the nightly street market on Temple Street, which is about 3 blocks off of Nathan Road. Highly recommended. Check out the waterfront at night and you will witness one of the most spectacular skylines in the world Posted Image

Going there myself in August. Note to self....pick up Air Supply SACD.

Edit....wear light clothing because it will be hot and humid.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#3 of 8 Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 12:35 PM

I was there a year ago on business and got a day off, we went on the Ferry and went up on the tram for a view of the city. It is quite spectacular we enojyed some lunch overlooking the city. Afterwards we went and did a bit of shopping.
Top 10 Film Lists: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Film Lists: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

#4 of 8 greggor

greggor

Second Unit

• 303 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 01:56 PM

Todd,

I was there about 7 years ago for a few days and we had an excellent feast at a restaurant called the Jumbo floating restaurant. If memory serves me correctly I believe it is in aberdeen which is a short ride from Hong Kong. I'll bet its changed alot there since my last visit. let us know where you went and what you did.

Greg

#5 of 8 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 03:39 PM

I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't in HMV or another chain store, too many bootlegs around. Make sure you DO try to find some good restaurant out of the tourist areas for some real Chinese food

#6 of 8 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 04:18 AM

If you want to buy music or DVD, HMV is really overpriced. You do occasionally run into bargains there, buy that's rare. "Win Win Shop" is a local chain that carry most everything that's legally available, even vinyl and laserdiscs. Prices are good as was the selection.

Oh, definitely do the ferry and the tram up the hill on HK Island.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#7 of 8 Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for the great recommendations all!

I'll be back Thursday to recount the adventure. Posted Image

Todd

#8 of 8 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 02:42 AM

May be too late, but have a drink in the bar at the Peninsula and take the ferry across to the island. Take the tram up to Victoria Peak and walk around the peak. If you get over there in the early morning, go to the park to see the men with their birds.

Make sure that you only eat local food. And absolutely make sure that you have dim sum.
¡Time is not my master!