Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Wizard of Oz 2-disc SE - Any Chance?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 08:44 AM

I know the current Warner SE is generally regarded as a fine disc, although not without faults. The current disc is almost 4 years old so I was wondering if there is any chance of TWoO getting the excellent 2-disc treatment in the near future. I've gotten by renting this long. Posted Image

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Brenton

Brenton

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 08:48 AM

The Warner version has amazing extras, considering the age of this film. I can imagine that all the extras-resources had to be beyond tapped out to bring us this material. I just can't even imagine what could possibly exist that could be added. We all know that the Jitter-Bug sequence is nowhere to be found. The only thing I would change is to make the mood of the menus not be so "tooty-fruity kids' flick" and have a more sophisticated style that reflects how much of a national treasure the film is. But that doesn't really matter much, and certainly doesn't warrant a new version. And it definitely wouldn't push it over to two discs.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,497 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 24 2003 - 09:38 AM

Lowry Digital Images has expressed interest in doing a new transfer via a combination of Ultra Resolution (Singin' In The Rain: SE) and their restoration processes.

I personally think UR will be just fine...but I enjoy LDI's work.

Among the possible extras that could be added:

Music-only track
Original Mono
Commentary/Commentaries
Full-length Wizard of Oz cartoon (a restored version is out there)

Plus, they could make this into one of their "Night at the Movies" releases. Daffy Duck & Egghead would be a nice cartoon to present before it. Posted Image

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,505 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 09:39 AM

There are supplements from the previous MGM laser package and the Criterion Laser that do not appear on the DVD (Commentaries for example, thankfully I have the MP3s Posted Image )

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,238 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 10:21 AM

I think I would be great to have Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" synched up to the film as a secondary audio track. I wonder if it would be at all possible
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 11:49 AM

The 1 disc edition of this dvd has so much material on it, its not even funny how they managed to fit it all on 1 dvd. Every thing you ever wanted to know is on here.No need for a 2 discer, by the way , the pink floyd thing happening on dvd is about as likely as seeing 1 of those flying monkeys in real life. Posted Image
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Alistair_M

Alistair_M

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 12:34 PM

I've got the region 4 release and I don't really rate the picture quality that highly.

If you look at this site (the excellent dvdbeaver.com) the region 1 is much much better. The region 1 has an excellent transfer - very filmic.

http://207.136.67.23...pare/wizard.htm

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 12:53 PM

The definitive Oz transfer should be improved by: 1. Better sepia tones 2. Better framing 3. Correction of Technicolor registration problems 4. Original mono with entire soundtrack 5. Entire isolated score

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 01:08 PM

[quote] I think I would be great to have Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" synched up to the film as a secondary audio track. [quote] Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought that. It would never ever happen, but it would be nice.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,322 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted July 24 2003 - 01:46 PM

I think a 2-disc Special Edition of my favourite movie would be great. There is a lot more extras that they could include such as: - Commentary by Garland/Oz Historian John Fricke - Original Oz Films - Original Cartoons - Early 90's Cartoon Series (some episodes) - Old Interviews - The Making of 'The Wizard of Oz' (Documentary from 1979 based on the book by Aljean Harmetz, not the one on the current DVD) - Extensive photo galleries such as the photos from The 50th Anniversary Pictorial History Book - Old TV Intoductions from such hosts as Dick van Dyke and TV Promos - Oz 40th Anniv. on TV: Interviews from Star Oz Fans (Played throughout the 40th Telecast of Oz) - Restoration comparisons - A new, longer Making Of There is a lot more extras that could be compiled if Warner wanted to take the time. I would also love to see it restored again from Lowry with the suggestions that ScottR made. What do you all think? Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users