Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Wizard of Oz 2-disc SE - Any Chance?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 08:44 AM

I know the current Warner SE is generally regarded as a fine disc, although not without faults. The current disc is almost 4 years old so I was wondering if there is any chance of TWoO getting the excellent 2-disc treatment in the near future. I've gotten by renting this long. Posted Image

#2 of 10 Brenton

Brenton

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 08:48 AM

The Warner version has amazing extras, considering the age of this film. I can imagine that all the extras-resources had to be beyond tapped out to bring us this material. I just can't even imagine what could possibly exist that could be added. We all know that the Jitter-Bug sequence is nowhere to be found.

The only thing I would change is to make the mood of the menus not be so "tooty-fruity kids' flick" and have a more sophisticated style that reflects how much of a national treasure the film is. But that doesn't really matter much, and certainly doesn't warrant a new version. And it definitely wouldn't push it over to two discs.

#3 of 10 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted July 24 2003 - 09:38 AM

Lowry Digital Images has expressed interest in doing a new transfer via a combination of Ultra Resolution (Singin' In The Rain: SE) and their restoration processes.

I personally think UR will be just fine...but I enjoy LDI's work.

Among the possible extras that could be added:

Music-only track
Original Mono
Commentary/Commentaries
Full-length Wizard of Oz cartoon (a restored version is out there)

Plus, they could make this into one of their "Night at the Movies" releases. Daffy Duck & Egghead would be a nice cartoon to present before it. Posted Image

#4 of 10 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 09:39 AM

There are supplements from the previous MGM laser package and the Criterion Laser that do not appear on the DVD (Commentaries for example, thankfully I have the MP3s Posted Image )

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#5 of 10 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 10:21 AM

I think I would be great to have Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" synched up to the film as a secondary audio track. I wonder if it would be at all possible
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#6 of 10 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 11:49 AM

The 1 disc edition of this dvd has so much material on it, its not even funny how they managed to fit it all on 1 dvd. Every thing you ever wanted to know is on here.No need for a 2 discer, by the way , the pink floyd thing happening on dvd is about as likely as seeing 1 of those flying monkeys in real life. Posted Image
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#7 of 10 Alistair_M

Alistair_M

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 12:34 PM

I've got the region 4 release and I don't really rate the picture quality that highly.

If you look at this site (the excellent dvdbeaver.com) the region 1 is much much better. The region 1 has an excellent transfer - very filmic.

http://207.136.67.23...pare/wizard.htm

#8 of 10 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 12:53 PM

The definitive Oz transfer should be improved by:

1. Better sepia tones
2. Better framing
3. Correction of Technicolor registration problems
4. Original mono with entire soundtrack
5. Entire isolated score

#9 of 10 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 01:08 PM

Quote:
I think I would be great to have Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" synched up to the film as a secondary audio track.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought that. It would never ever happen, but it would be nice.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#10 of 10 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,176 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 01:46 PM

I think a 2-disc Special Edition of my favourite movie would be great. There is a lot more extras that they could include such as:

- Commentary by Garland/Oz Historian John Fricke
- Original Oz Films
- Original Cartoons
- Early 90's Cartoon Series (some episodes)
- Old Interviews
- The Making of 'The Wizard of Oz' (Documentary from 1979 based on the book by Aljean Harmetz, not the one on the current DVD)
- Extensive photo galleries such as the photos from The 50th Anniversary Pictorial History Book
- Old TV Intoductions from such hosts as Dick van Dyke and TV Promos
- Oz 40th Anniv. on TV: Interviews from Star Oz Fans (Played throughout the 40th Telecast of Oz)
- Restoration comparisons
- A new, longer Making Of

There is a lot more extras that could be compiled if Warner wanted to take the time. I would also love to see it restored again from Lowry with the suggestions that ScottR made. What do you all think?

Andy