What's new

Blue Note gets invaded... (1 Viewer)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I just picked up Otis Jackson Jr's "Shades of Blue: Madlib Invades Blue Note".

Madlib is a producer who was granted access to the Blue Note vaults for this release.

It's not a mixtape - but Madlib 're-interprets' many Blue Note classics. There are also numerous Blue Note artists on the release talking about Blue Note.

Madlib is mainly an underground hip-hop producer, but he's a big jazz fan - his Dad and Uncle both were in the scene. He's put out releases as Yesterday's New Quintet - all jazz/fusion/free jazz sounds.

I'd highly recommend 'Shades of Blue'. With luck, it'll turn hip-hop fans onto jazz, and jazz cats may check out some other Madlib tracks.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Didn't US3 also have similar access to the Blue Note vaults? IIRC correctly, the results were less than stellar.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Didn't US3 also have similar access to the Blue Note vaults?
Mike, I have no idea.

But what I like about Madlib is that he's a HUGE jazz fan himself. The enthusiasm he has shows on the back on the back of the YNQ 'Uno Esta'12" is impressive. He's got a bunch of essays of influences.

This is not to say that 'Shades of Blue' will be loved by everyone - I know people who think it meanders a bit, and that Madlib needs to tighten up his production.

But, come end of the year I'm sure 'Shades' will be on my list of favorite albums of the year.

Let me know if you check it out, I'd be curious to hear your impressions.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'll keep it mind. I'd pick it up now if I weren't so tight on funds.

Unrelated, but I finally got around to picking up an OutKast CD- Stankonia. I also bought a "clean" (censored) version of ATLiens, unknowingly, which I promptly returned.

I loved the sound of ATLiens and will try to pick up the normal version ASAP. Stankonia is also very cool, just loses focus towards the end.

I've found a new hip-hop group I love. :emoji_thumbsup:

Also picked up The Roots' Things Fall Apart. Excellent.

Unfortunately, when $$ is tight, hip-hop and classical are the genrese that get the least attention from me, so my rap collecting will be painfully slow.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Can't go wrong with Outkast. It's been a really good year so far for hip-hop. A lot of interesting releases. I can't speak for the mainstream stuff - but the Ninjatune sub-label Big Dada put out King Geedorah (an alias of MF Doom) which is my favorite album of the year so far.

Stones Throw has an incredible lineup - Jaylib, Madvillain, and Peanut Butter Wolf + Charizma all have albums due for release this year.

There's also a new Aesop Rock, another MF Doom pseudonym album (Viktor Vaughn) and a new Kool Keith album.

I thought last year was outstanding for hip-hop, but this year is shaping up to be even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks