What's new

American Movie Classics Promo (1 Viewer)

wally

Second Unit
While surfing last night I stopped in to watch a few minutes of Sands of Iwo Jima on AMC. During a channel promo they talked about upcoming movies being shown P&S and then again in letterbox. They advertised the letterbox version as “Getting More of the Movie” or something like that. Anyone else see this?

I know other cable networks show movies OAR, but do they promote OAR as the preferred method of viewing like AMC?

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
do they promote OAR as the preferred method of viewing like AMC?
If AMC says that it is preferred, then why don't they just show all their movies in OAR like TMC does. I rarely watch AMC b/c of numerous commercials and the lack of many OAR films, but I welcome what might be a step in the right direction for them.

IIRC, TCM, a long while back, used to demonstrate what was lost in P&S; I think they now just count on an educated audience, like us HTF types!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
TMC is The Movie Channel.

TCM...otherwise known as Turner Classic Movies... is the only channel on TV that is OAR-only. (Yes, I know they air some non-OAR, but they only air it if they have no other choice.)

Recently, they've shown films such as Austin Powers (first movie), Ferris Bueller, The Hudsucker Proxy, and a few other contemporary films in their correct ratios. They recently replaced the P&S version of The Elephant Man with a new letterboxed transfer (likely the one used for DVD)

TCM occasionally airs a promo with Martin Scorsese discussing the benifits of letterboxing. AMC used to have a really neat promo using clips from Oklahoma!, The King and I, and South Pacific with comparisons.

wally

Second Unit
TCM...otherwise known as Turner Classic Movies... is the only channel on TV that is OAR-only. (Yes, I know they air some non-OAR, but they only air it if they have no other choice.)
Kind of odd since Uncld Ted is the father of colorizing. At least he's moving in the right direction.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Kind of odd since Uncld Ted is the father of colorizing. At least he's moving in the right direction.
a

Actually Ted sold out awhile back and has resigned from the AOL/Time Warner board. He's made no bones that he's somewhat bitter about how things went after he left.

TCM is a great channel because the people who run it treat movies with respect. Bob Osborne is a great host and is as knowledgeable as they come. I wish they could lure Bob Dorian out of retirement to act as an alternate host. In my opinion, AMC lost all credibility when they got rid of Dorian.

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator
AMC supported letterbox a lot more in the past. I remember watching some great Hammer films letterboxed. What happened to them? That channel stinks now [IMO].

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I also saw a promo advocating widescreen. Ron Howard and Martin Scorsese were in it to name a few, IIRC it was on TCM but maybe I actually saw it on AMC and didn't realize.

TCM also has these little cool promos in between movies, "One Reel Wonders" and "The Sunny Side of Life." Only about 20 seconds a piece but I enjoy em. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks