What's new

CD adaptor for cassette player (1 Viewer)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I'm wanting to get one of these little units because my car's cassette player is fairly new and I was too cheap to buy a cd/cassette/am,fm/ player unit. That said, it looks like these adaptor units are easy to use. What i want to know is are they all about the same or are there some that are better and more durable. It looks like they all use a cassette tape shaped apparatus to plug into the cassette player. Thanks all!

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Whats best about these car kits, is that you can use them with a cheap $30 MP3 discman, and have hours of uninterupted music on one disc, rather than having to change out discs after you tire of them.

Other than that, a 10-12 disc changer with RF modulation can be had for around $100 in the low end models.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input Mark. Can anyone else comment whether they've had a similar experience using one of these adaptor units?

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I spent about 30 minutes just now searching google for anything about a cassette adapter causing damage to a head unit, and found nothing. There is no documentation of this "problem" that I could find anywhere. If these were actually damaging people's equipment, I would think it would be much more publicized, and I don't think so many companies would be selling them due to liability reasons. I mean, they have been around for almost 20 years, and even new technologies are utilizing these adapters - Satellite radio car kits come with them!

On another note Karl, I did find a few pages on my Google search that indicated some head units have problems recognizing the adapter. Some will continually reverse direction when no signal is being sent from the adapter, and a few decks that have some sort of pre-tensioner device for tapes will eject the adapter when it doesn't find any actual tape in it. It does seem that these are very rare problems though, and none of the people that mentioned these said anything about damage... they just couldn't use the adapter.

Hope this helps.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jason, I guess the next thing to do is go buy one of these and try it out. This is a fantastic forum and it will really take off as soon as more people check it out. The car audio/video market is huge and everyone can benefit from what they learn here.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I just bought one about a month ago. The sound quality isn't that good, but I really didn't expect it to be.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
What brand and model did you get Paul? Also, would the cd audio be limited to what frequency response the cassette deck is capable of?

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
would the cd audio be limited to what frequency response the cassette deck is capable of?
Yes.

As I mentioned in this thread you might also consider an FM Modulator. This will save you from having to run wires up to your head unit. I am not sure which would offer better sound though, as I have never used an FM Modulator and haven't used a cassette adapter since about 1988.

Another benefit to an FM Modulator is that you could use it with any stereo, even if it doesn't have a tape deck (i.e. AM/FM clock radio). May be overkill though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks