Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question about movie music rights..............

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Declan

Declan

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 12:26 PM

I'm doing a documentry for the local museum. It's basically all old cine films from 1930's to 60's. I want to do an opening title sequence for it. The only snag is that the music I want to use is Thomas Newmans opening track to Road To Perdition. I dont know if the doc will be put on sale or if it will be a freebie handed out to people. So the question is about rights. Because it is such a very low key thing would I have to buy rights from dreamworks to use the track, I keep on hearing tracks from Gladiator and Signs on the local TV station to advertise certain programs, so I wonder how they get away with it, or do they buy the rights. I would be editing it down as well (the music that is) to fit a certain time frame. So would that have any bearing on it either. Sorry i'm not the best when it comes to this stuff..........I just leave it to the suits. Posted Image

Anyway......... any advice on this will be appreciated.Posted Image
"So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed"

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 12:39 PM

[quote] I keep on hearing tracks from Gladiator and Signs on the local TV station to advertise certain programs, so I wonder how they get away with it, or do they buy the rights. [quote]
Have you considered calling them up and asking them? They might have some tips on who to contact.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 12:51 PM

Broadcasting of music (new and prerecorded) on radio and tv stations is covered by contracts those outlets have with ASCAP and BMI, the main music licensing firms. Stations pay a yearly fee for unlimited use of pre-recorded music. Your use is different and would need to be cleared with DreamWorks or the label that released the soundtrack CD. Using music without permission is a violation of the copyright laws. Contact the company that released the CD and talk to them.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Declan

Declan

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 01:53 PM

thanks guys.

[quote] Have you considered calling them up and asking them? They might have some tips on who to contact. [quote]

Must do that tommorro. Dont think they'd want me to call them now at 10 to 3 in the morning.Posted Image Posted Image But yea thanks Michael, brain is'nt workin the best so i never thought of that. I must email Dreamworks and see what they say, again, Thanks guys.
"So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed"

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 04:37 PM

Don't email them, call them. Sorry I don't have a number, but if you can find someone with the LA Blue Book that'll have it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users