What's new

Hey the White van guys tried to sell speakers to me. Ha, ha, ha (1 Viewer)

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
It was great. It made my day.

They caught me in the parking lot of Home Depot, in Wichita Falls, Texas.

The White van pulled up with three guys in it. The driver said to me, "Hey dude, you wanna buy some bad ass speakers?"

In almost disbelief and with a big grin on my face I looked at the van, looked back at him and said, "Alright, the White van speakers guys!"

"Sure I'd love to see what you got."

I could barely contain myself, ha, ha, ha.

"What do you have there?" I asked. "Digital Designs, Dodd Digital, Dahlton's...?"

He said he was with Dahlton, and those other companies sold crap. Their stuff was good.

Starting to laugh now I then introduced myself, and told him who I was and that I was a loudspeaker designer and manufacturer... and owned GR Research.

"Oh really," he says, with a look of surprise...

I then told him he was more than welcome to bring some of those speakers by to GR Research and I would be more than glad to shoot some responses on them, take an impedance response, etc, and he could see for himself how good his speakers were.

He said he would actually be interested to see for himself how they measured.

I gave him my web address and phone number but did not hear from him, bummer!

He gave me his card too.

His name was Shawn Haugh. He is with T & M Enterprises Inc.

I have an Irving, Texas address and phone number if anyone is interested. He, he...

Here's their web site: http://www.dahltonloudspeakers.com

Danny Richie

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Hey, that's pretty funny. It's probably a good way to get rid of them too. Too bad you didn't humiliate them because I really don't care for people that run scams.

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Danny Richie:

who actually manufactures these speakers, where (China?). It the scam to sell in vans or do they have a dealer network?

Nice frequency chart, it looks like one of the rides over a any "Six Flags" parks!

Thanks for telling us about your encounter.

JaimeB

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Danny,

One correction... It's Dogg Digital and when reffering
to said speaker you usually have to prefix it with something
along the lines of: y0 y0 man did you hear about dem new
Dogg Digital speakerz? Dey is da b0mb DiGgity y0! :D

I expect to see a new line in a few weeks... Gee Arr Research ;)

EdNichols

Second Unit
Speaking of Dogg Digital, I have viewed their web-site and it is pretty funny when you read the fine print. The prices on their "digital" speakers start at $1499/ea. But if you read the fine print you will see "MSRP does not reflect bonafide selling price in the metro trading area" In other words when product is sold from the back of a white van.

If you read further, you will see they have a generous 2 week money back guarantee. But in small print you will also see that if they are returned you'll be charged a $300 handling fee.

Sounds legit to me!!!!!

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Danny,

This is great this topic popped up. Yesterday my cousing had a job training here in Austin and when he told me what they were selling and he said speakers and I asked what color vehicle they driving and he said WHITE.
I said DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I told him what to expect and he said he didnt care and that as long he is not selling and just getting paid to watch he was cool,, untill he has his other interview at the YMCA this Friday. But anyways, he and 2 guys in of course the WHITE VAN took all the way off to Houston and he (my cousin) tagged along for the training (hehehe) and as he watch hhow these 2 guys approached customers boy was he telling me they lied off there A$$es and they hooked about 4 people buying the crap speakers they called Dodd Digital. He told me one of the guys bought them for 500.00 and the other sets for about 250.00 or so. I could not think to myself and say what the heck is wrong with some people? Dont they ever go to like CC or BB and check there stuff out and pay much less and a name brand they heard of? lol.
But anyways my cousing was telling me the crazy stuff these guys do to sell the speakers and crap and its all a rip off. He told me he's not going to do that to people and its wrong.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Speaking of the Dahlton speakers at the web link posted:

I believe their speakers are built in China by the "same company" that builds most of Fluance speaks.

The Dahlton models seen at the site are all shown at that China site (the China company's name escapes me at the moment)..Been posted here before along with a link.

Would have been nice to see any of the Dahlton speaks measured. Would they be the complete trash of the likes of Dog Digital, etc.
One of the Dahlton's Mini 5.1 set carries supposed "THX logo", can't read the small fine print where the truth may actually "LIE"..:rolleyes

(Sweet graphs) on the other brands speaker. A perfect match for good neutral amp with low impedance drive....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gheesh, way to funny
Geoff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Brett

I'll see if I can dig it up. Got the link saved some where, Goldwood dosn't sound right..

Regards
Geoff

Edit:
Hey Brett, you where half right! ;)

Check the company I spoke of out here ..

My understanding is that they sell/build speaks for companies all over the world and they are badged accordingly. From low end to pretty high end. Appear to be a very good sized company in China.

Lot'sa speaks to look at...

Geoff

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
some white van guys tried selling me speakers too last year.

story goes...

blah blah blah... small talk
guy: buy speakers
me: let me look at them
guy: they're really nice, top of the line
me: really? let me look at them
guy: ok sure
me: *looks*
guy: well, they retail for 1000
me: whoa... that's really high
guy: they're really great speakers
me: *looking a bit more* well for that price, i would expect the tweeter to use no less then a 2nd order buttersmurf bandpass filter.
guy: neither would we think of using any less. only the best materials are used to produce these speakers.
me: so you guys use 2nd order buttersmurf bandpass filters?
guy: yes sir
me: buttersmurf?
guy: yyyes
me: you sure it's not butterworth?
guy: umm.. *looks at me*. fuck it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508