Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best way to sell my car online?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   StephenK

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 03:09 AM

Hey all,

I need to get rid of my car, (moving to a bigger place and can't afford to do both). I listed it on Yahoo classifieds, but I'm not getting enough "eyeballs". Anyone have any ideas how to get the widest exposure? I'm in NYC btw. Cars.com charges $35 and autotrader.com charges $45.

FYI, this is a mint 2002 Audi A6 3.0 with 6,650 miles. Kills me to lose it.

Thanks
Steve

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 05:19 AM

I've tried both cars.com and autotrader and wasn't pleased with either. I ran an ad in the local paper and sold it 2 days later.
BTW my local paper runs an ad in the paper and on cars.com for like 60 bucks.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 07:42 AM

I'm searching for a car right now.. I mainly use autotrader.com and cars.com.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted October 09 2003 - 03:23 AM

OK, I fiugured I would dredge this up instead of starting a new thread.

I am getting ready to try to sell my 2001 Jeep Cherokee. I looked at listings at Autotrader.com and every single listing is from a dealer. Do no private sellers use it anymor?. I will try my local newspaper but I'm looking for max exposure here. Any other tips?
Revenge is like serving cold cuts-

Tony Soprano

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   StephenK

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted October 09 2003 - 04:46 AM

Lee,

I posted at Cars.com, Autotrader.com and yahoo classified. I think I got about 6 series leads from yahoo, 3 or 4 from cars.com and 10+ from autotrader. ymmv.

Good luck

ps it sold off the yahoo ad, but after I sold it, a better offer came from autotrader.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted October 09 2003 - 08:40 AM

I had good luck with EBAY motors myself.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   DonnyD

DonnyD

Screenwriter

• 1,154 posts

Posted October 09 2003 - 11:28 AM

I tried to sell a Yamaha waverunner in my local paper for several weeks with no serious offers........ then ran it on ebay and it sold in 4 hours. This was in May at the beginning of the water season and it was a mint machine..... Ebay was good to me and no BS during the sale.
"There comes a time in the lives of men, when taken at the tide, you're liable to ****ing drown..." R. Farina
"or go broke due to upgraditis..." D. Davis

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted October 10 2003 - 02:22 AM

So does EBAY motors allow you to place a set price ad? I guess I could just put a high reserve on it, I just don;t know that much about selling stuff on ebay, much less the auto side of things.
Revenge is like serving cold cuts-

Tony Soprano

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter

• 1,063 posts

Posted October 10 2003 - 03:26 AM

one more vote for autotrader.com

i put my car on at.com last year and it sold for my asking price in two weeks. i was pleased.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Tim K

Tim K

Second Unit

• 402 posts

Posted October 10 2003 - 03:43 PM

I sold my 2001 Grand Cherokee using cars.com and autotrader.com back in July. It sold to a guy from Autotrader after about 2 1/2 weeks listed. Well worth the prices paid as I got what I was hoping for.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted October 10 2003 - 04:37 PM

Quote:
So does EBAY motors allow you to place a set price ad? I guess I could just put a high reserve on it, I just don't know that much about selling stuff on ebay, much less the auto side of things

What I did was include the right to cancel the auction. If the price didn't get to my own minimum I could have just pulled the plug. I wouldn't use a set price because you may get more.

I wouldn't include a large reserve - that can drive away bidders.

I would caution you to check the comments on each bidders feedback as the auction nears the close. I had one person with a history of failing to pay on car auctions who almost won.

If you want more info feel free to ask. I would also suggest you go there and check out what the auctions for other cars like yours look like.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted October 11 2003 - 10:59 AM

Hrm, an old thread.
since my last response I sold a car, ran it in the paper, online at cars.com and at autotrader, the paper generated the most calls, but no one serious, I might have had the car priced too cheap, at least 1k less than the rest in the paper.
I listed it on ebay and sold it within a couple days to a local buyer, he used buy it now to pay exactly what I was asking in the paper.
As a sidenote it was a 16y/o kid, buying his first car, a subaru WRX. Coming soon to a telephone pole near you Posted Image
I have been lucky, I sold a car and two motorcycles (totalling just under 30k Posted Image )on ebay without a hitch. My last car sold over the weekend from the paper, I was hoping to have that kind of performance this time around, no such luck Posted Image