Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Stallone talks Rocky 6

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 Christopher P

Christopher P

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 02:57 AM

On a local sports radio show here (with the guy who was involved in Sue Bird controversy if any of you know about that) Stallone was pimping Spy Kids and talked about Rocky 6, saying the story was done, and if he was a betting man, he would bet it will get made. He almost sold me on the idea too, talking about how the Rocky movies are about more than just boxing, how they're about the drive we feel inside of us. I guess I've never really heard an interview with him either because I would surprised at how well-spoken he was. Thought I'd share.

Chris

#2 of 23 Damian James

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 03:18 AM

That reminds me of a line from the movie Spaceballs that went something along the lines of, "Up next, Bongo's review of Rocky 5... Thousand! Bongo?"
Hello there! Might I have a moment to speak with you about a new set of kitchen knives?

#3 of 23 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 04:01 AM

Which movie had the ROCKY XVIII poster (or something like that) with a geriatric Rocky....I think it had a subtitle that read: "One, Last Time"

Was it Airplane II?

#4 of 23 Christopher P

Christopher P

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 04:08 AM

Yes Airplane 2, I remember that. Stallone is also scheduled to be on Jim Rome's radio show this morning too, not sure what hour though.

Chris

#5 of 23 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 04:18 AM

Should this actually come to be, it would confirm Seth Paxton's theory of "has been" actors going back to the womb when the going gets tough. Like Ford with Indy, Ahnuld with T3 etc...

--
Holadem

#6 of 23 WadeB

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 04:42 AM

Sly ust be making heavy rounds as he was on the local sports talk in Atlanta as well, and Christopher, you are right, he is very well spoken and seemingly quite the film buff. Despite his resume, he noted that character and story were what drew him to films and that his favorite movie is The Lion in Winter. He also properly pointed out that Easy RIder opened the door for a lot of good films in the 70's. Anyhow, I was impressed, and the hosts seemed a bit surprised at some of his responses.

#7 of 23 Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 05:47 AM

Why do I feel this is all just a competitive thing between Stallone and Schwarzenegger?

#8 of 23 Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 06:04 AM

Damnit! I missed his interview on the Jim Rome show. Did anyone catch it and want to recap?

Thanks!

#9 of 23 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 06:16 AM

I think Rocky should fight a cyborg.

#10 of 23 MichaelW

MichaelW

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 10:09 AM

It also could be all about the money -

Keep in mind that Rocky IV is still the top grossing sports movie of all time... $300.4 million in 1985 (followed by Jerry Maguire $274 in '96; Space Jam, Rocky II, Waterboy, Days of Thunder, League of their Own, Remember the Titans, Rocky III, Rocky...)

Of course, conspicously missing from that list? Rocky V. Posted Image

Most of what we now consider the best sports movies were not box office hits.
I didn't do anything. I'm a nice man, I mind my own business. So you tell me that's that before I beat the hell from you. I have so much strength in me, you have no idea. I have a love in my life, it makes me stronger than anything you can imagine. I'd say that's that, matress man!

#11 of 23 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 24 2003 - 03:00 AM

I remember reading a plot synopsis about the new Rocky film about a year ago (I think on AICN, though I can't remember for sure). It actually sounded pretty cool,
Bringing back past character (like Mr. T), reflecting on Rocky as he prepares for his final comeback, ala George Foreman. It sounded like it would be in a pseudo documentary style.

I'd probably check it out, as I like most of the Rocky films, and Sly does have a lot more talent than many people attribute to him based on his action films in the 80's, Nighthawks being a personal fave.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#12 of 23 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 03:23 AM

Kidding aside, I would support this project, if done right. I don't think the character got a proper send-off in Rocky V.

#13 of 23 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,096 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 04:19 AM

Since I grew up loving all the Rocky films (four was my favorite, as a kid, I thought the first was kinda boring Posted Image), I'd be first in line to see Rocky six. Posted Image

#14 of 23 Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 10:48 AM

Quote:
Bringing back past character (like Mr. T), reflecting on Rocky as he prepares for his final comeback, ala George Foreman.

Well wasn't that the plot of every Rocky movie, except for maybe I and V?

-- Matt

#15 of 23 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 24 2003 - 11:38 AM

Quote:
Well wasn't that the plot of every Rocky movie, except for maybe I and V?

Agreed, he always "came back". I think the difference with this one is the general tone, shot more like a documentary, as opposed to the traditional dramatic film. Of course, I read that at least a year ago, so who knows what the current script is like, I'm just excited to see how it transpires.

It would be nice to see Stallone in a major project that isn't going direct to video (I don't consider Spy Kids 3 a Stallone project, per say.)
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#16 of 23 Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 03:03 AM

My problem though with this, is that the dude had brain damage in Rocky V, not something that does not just goes away. So I don't buy him fighting again. And I am a HUGE Rocky fan. (Hell I even own a copy of Leroy Neimans Rocky painting).

But if he does have to comeback... Well that means another 2 acts of Adrian moaning about it, only to give her approval at the end of the 2nd act which then gives Rocky the confidence to win.

-- Matt

#17 of 23 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 03:09 AM

Stallone was on Letterman last night and said he'd finished the script. He did refer to George Foreman as something of a model.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#18 of 23 John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 10:16 AM

Rocky V was a great movie, but I couldn't stand him losing his fortune. What a rip off. I'll be in line for VI hoping he gets it all back and ends the story the right way.

John
Long Live XBox and DVD!!

#19 of 23 Scott_lb

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor

• 592 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 05:01 PM

Stallone was on Conan tonight and stated that in the movie Rocky would fight against a guy named "XL" (pronounced like the program "Excel") who looks like an Allen Iverson. He stated that it would be a sort of generation vs. generation bout.
"My name is El Nino which in spanish means.... The Nino!" - Chris Farley

#20 of 23 Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 05:37 PM

"Rocky five plus Rocky two equals...Rocky VII! 'Adrian's Revenge'"

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Posted Image The lemon tree episode was just on last week, too! If you don't know what I'm talking about, then shame.
"-king sixty-three hundred dollar suit! COME ON!" - Gob

John 3:16My DVD CollectionMy CD Collection

Forum Nav Content I Follow