What's new

BEAST FROM 20,00O FATHOMS, BLACK SCORPIAN & GWANGI October 21! (1 Viewer)

AlanBrom

Second Unit
I just saw on DVD Drive-In DVD Drive-In that BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, THE BLACK SCORPIAN and VALLEY OF GWANGI are coming on October 21st of this year. It seems all will have featurettes, and GWANGI will be 16x9 widescreen and have easter eggs! Way to go!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Thanks for the info, great news, Beast and Gwangi are super classic Ray Harryhausen monster flicks, a must buy for me.
Valley of Gwangi has superb stop-motion effects, notably a scene where cowboys are trying to rope Gwangi, can't wait to have this on dvd!:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Alan, nowhere on the page that your link leads to is there any info about the 3 films that I can find.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
The information is there at DVD Drive-In, perhaps reload when you get to the site, or try back later.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
once again, looks like more beautiful use of the original poster art by WB on "Beast".

looking forward to these, but man is this fall going to be expensive...

derek

Second Unit
SWEET!!! I'll be getting Gwangi and Scorpion as I have 'Beast' already on LD. I caught the 'Black Scorpion' on TMC I think about a year ago. Wasn't Willis O'Brien involved in this one though? I remember seeing unfinished scorpion effects where the onscreen creature was just a simple 'shadowed scorpion figure' guess they ran out of time and budget.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
"SWEET!!! I'll be getting Gwangi and Scorpion as I have 'Beast' already on LD"

No offense, but this is hard for me to comprehend. Wouldn't you surely want to trade in a lumpy old 1992 laserdisc with press rolls (most likely) for a sharp new remastered DVD of BEAST? Plus the new featurette will most like have interviews with Harryhausen and Bradbury!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Gwangi

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/t...ofgwangi69.htm

Extras include a featurette entitled "Return to the Valley," which includes an interview with Harryhausen, as well as a number of animators from Industrial Light and Magic who talk about the effects and how the master inspired them. There is also an Easter Egg that has Harryhausen sharing an anecdote about his daughter's attachment to one of the Gwangi models.

Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/a...omtwenty53.htm

Extras included the featurette "The Rhedosaurus and the Roller Coaster: Making the Beast" which is a new interview with Ray Harryhausen, accompanied by production photos. Harryhausen talks about being approached by producer Jack Dietz, what it was like working alone for the first time, as well as the monster's creation and the special effects. A second featurette, "Harryhausen and Bradbury: An Unfathomable Friendship" has the two longtime friends reunited before an audience at the Warner Bros. Lot to reminisce about old times and share some friendly anecdotes. The two men are delightfully grown-up kids as they demonstrate their diehard love of fantasy. Rounding out the extras are trailers for BEAST, THE BLACK SCOPION, VALLEY OF GWANGI and CLASH OF THE TITANS.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I have not seen GWANGI since I was about 8 years old. I loved it back then. Ill be picking this one up for sure. Kudos to WB for using original poster art on many of their classic titles.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
these have been announced for some time now....I pre-ordered them early last month. all great titles and no-brainers for my library.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm awaiting the arrival of these next week. I've had Beast on LD for years & Scorpion on VHS for some time. I've have not seen Gwangi for many years & then only on TV. It will be wonderful to check out these new DVDs.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Got 'em. Have only looked at a bit of Gwangi so far, which looks just fine. Very grainy, as always, for the opticals, but the non-optical stuff looks great, the score by Moross sounds great, and it's lovely to finally have it in enhanced widescreen. Watched a bit of the documentary, too, which has lots of fun stuff in it.

I'll check out the other discs today.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Any word on the audio. I suspect they will be all in DD mono. I believe my VHS tape of TVOG is in stereo though.

MarkBourne

Stunt Coordinator
Reviews for BEAST, GWANGI, and THE BLACK SCORPION are also up today at dvdjournal.com.

Warner Home Video gave all three films a fan-friendly, respectful DVD treatment. They look and sound remarkably good. (Maybe I was just paying attention more this time, but after seeing GWANGI a bazillion times since I was about six, for the first time I noticed how enjoyable its musical score is.)

For appreciators of Willis O'Brien and pre-CGI stop-motion effects, even SCORPION is worth getting for the extras. The Harryhausen-Bradbury shared interview on BEAST is worth the sticker price all by itself. (And yeah, BEAST's one-sheet poster art gives it one of the most eye-catching snap-cases on the shelves.)

Someone at Warner deserves thanks for the affectionate attention given to these "junkie old B movies" that could so easily have been sent to bare-bones, discount-bin purgatory.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
In honor of the the 'Beast from 20,000 Fathoms' coming out on DVD this year, I used the movie as the theme for my halloween pumpkins this year.

You can use the link below to view pictures of them I took last night. The pics are on Ofoto.com but you don't have to register or logon to view them.

Link to Ofoto Pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks