-

Photo

BEAST FROM 20,00O FATHOMS, BLACK SCORPIAN & GWANGI October 21!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 02:45 AM

I just saw on DVD Drive-In DVD Drive-In that BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, THE BLACK SCORPIAN and VALLEY OF GWANGI are coming on October 21st of this year. It seems all will have featurettes, and GWANGI will be 16x9 widescreen and have easter eggs! Way to go!

#2 of 32 ONLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,358 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 23 2003 - 03:24 AM

Thanks for the info, great news, Beast and Gwangi are super classic Ray Harryhausen monster flicks, a must buy for me.
Valley of Gwangi has superb stop-motion effects, notably a scene where cowboys are trying to rope Gwangi, can't wait to have this on dvd!Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 04:07 AM

Alan, nowhere on the page that your link leads to is there any info about the 3 films that I can find.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 04:47 AM

The information is there at DVD Drive-In, perhaps reload when you get to the site, or try back later.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 04:56 AM

once again, looks like more beautiful use of the original poster art by WB on "Beast".

looking forward to these, but man is this fall going to be expensive...

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 06:27 AM

Most excellent news for Beast and Gwangi. My Harryhausen collection nears completeness!

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 07:26 AM

Quote:
My Harryhausen collection nears completeness!

We are so close!
Fox needs to pick up the pace on One Million Years B.C. (hopefully with restored footage).

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   derek

derek

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 09:24 AM

SWEET!!! I'll be getting Gwangi and Scorpion as I have 'Beast' already on LD. I caught the 'Black Scorpion' on TMC I think about a year ago. Wasn't Willis O'Brien involved in this one though? I remember seeing unfinished scorpion effects where the onscreen creature was just a simple 'shadowed scorpion figure' guess they ran out of time and budget.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 11:18 AM

yep my Ray Harryhausen will be getting close to completion as well

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 02:06 PM

"SWEET!!! I'll be getting Gwangi and Scorpion as I have 'Beast' already on LD"

No offense, but this is hard for me to comprehend. Wouldn't you surely want to trade in a lumpy old 1992 laserdisc with press rolls (most likely) for a sharp new remastered DVD of BEAST? Plus the new featurette will most like have interviews with Harryhausen and Bradbury!

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 08:14 AM

Gwangi

http://www.dvddrive-....ofgwangi69.htm

Extras include a featurette entitled "Return to the Valley," which includes an interview with Harryhausen, as well as a number of animators from Industrial Light and Magic who talk about the effects and how the master inspired them. There is also an Easter Egg that has Harryhausen sharing an anecdote about his daughter's attachment to one of the Gwangi models.

Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

http://www.dvddrive-....omtwenty53.htm

Extras included the featurette "The Rhedosaurus and the Roller Coaster: Making the Beast" which is a new interview with Ray Harryhausen, accompanied by production photos. Harryhausen talks about being approached by producer Jack Dietz, what it was like working alone for the first time, as well as the monster's creation and the special effects. A second featurette, "Harryhausen and Bradbury: An Unfathomable Friendship" has the two longtime friends reunited before an audience at the Warner Bros. Lot to reminisce about old times and share some friendly anecdotes. The two men are delightfully grown-up kids as they demonstrate their diehard love of fantasy. Rounding out the extras are trailers for BEAST, THE BLACK SCOPION, VALLEY OF GWANGI and CLASH OF THE TITANS.
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,772 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 12:16 PM

I have not seen GWANGI since I was about 8 years old. I loved it back then. Ill be picking this one up for sure. Kudos to WB for using original poster art on many of their classic titles.

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 02:38 PM

these have been announced for some time now....I pre-ordered them early last month. all great titles and no-brainers for my library.
My DVD/Film Library
dvd folders under construction:wink:

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted October 18 2003 - 02:30 AM

I'm awaiting the arrival of these next week. I've had Beast on LD for years & Scorpion on VHS for some time. I've have not seen Gwangi for many years & then only on TV. It will be wonderful to check out these new DVDs.
Cogito, Ergo Sum

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   BruceKimmel

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted October 18 2003 - 04:10 AM

Got 'em. Have only looked at a bit of Gwangi so far, which looks just fine. Very grainy, as always, for the opticals, but the non-optical stuff looks great, the score by Moross sounds great, and it's lovely to finally have it in enhanced widescreen. Watched a bit of the documentary, too, which has lots of fun stuff in it.

I'll check out the other discs today.

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted October 20 2003 - 08:52 AM

Any word on the audio. I suspect they will be all in DD mono. I believe my VHS tape of TVOG is in stereo though.

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   MarkBourne

MarkBourne

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted October 20 2003 - 09:29 AM

Reviews for BEAST, GWANGI, and THE BLACK SCORPION are also up today at dvdjournal.com.

Warner Home Video gave all three films a fan-friendly, respectful DVD treatment. They look and sound remarkably good. (Maybe I was just paying attention more this time, but after seeing GWANGI a bazillion times since I was about six, for the first time I noticed how enjoyable its musical score is.)

For appreciators of Willis O'Brien and pre-CGI stop-motion effects, even SCORPION is worth getting for the extras. The Harryhausen-Bradbury shared interview on BEAST is worth the sticker price all by itself. (And yeah, BEAST's one-sheet poster art gives it one of the most eye-catching snap-cases on the shelves.)

Someone at Warner deserves thanks for the affectionate attention given to these "junkie old B movies" that could so easily have been sent to bare-bones, discount-bin purgatory.

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted October 20 2003 - 02:08 PM

I received my shipment of these today. I'll be watching a couple tonight.
Cogito, Ergo Sum

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,265 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 01 2003 - 07:03 AM

In honor of the the 'Beast from 20,000 Fathoms' coming out on DVD this year, I used the movie as the theme for my halloween pumpkins this year.

You can use the link below to view pictures of them I took last night. The pics are on Ofoto.com, but you don't have to register or logon to view them.

Link to Ofoto Pics
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Joe S

Joe S

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted November 01 2003 - 12:31 PM

Those pumpkins are amazing, Johnny. How exactly was that done?

Joe S.