What's new

Witnessing Mother Nature's fury (1 Viewer)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Man, do I feel lucky today. Memphis got hit yesterday morning with a freak storm cell that produced straight-line winds close to 100mph. And where was I? On the Interstate heading to a customer's. Amazingly, no one was injured when all the electricity poles and light poles snapped like twigs and went sailing across the roadway. It was a truly awesome sight, and gives a man a greater respect for the power of nature. As I drove down Kirby Parkway, which has some beautiful homes, it was horrifying to see some of them demolished by centuries-old trees that had been snapped about 4 feet up the trunk.
So at this point, over 250,000 citizens of Memphis and Shelby County are without power, and many are without water, since their pumping stations haven't been brought back online. We're still powerless, but my office is up and running, and I being the network guy, get to babysit it all day in case we relapse.
Luckily, my wife and I are fine, as is our property. The only things I was worried about was my wife, who's expecting our first child, and my cats. So our apartment and cars coming through unscathed was icing on the cake. But the poor sap who regularly steals my wife's parking space got a heavy dose of karma when he went out to check his Jeep Cherokee, only to find it impaled by a one-foot-diameter oak branch. It went straight through the roof and didn't stop until it lodged itself on the rear axle. But he was pretty upbeat about it, and actually greeted me with, "At this point, I wish you had complained about me parking in your spot!" Pretty decent guy. At least he has a good perspective on things. There's a lot of people who got hit a lot worse than us, and for them I truly mourn. This has been a tough year so far for West Tennesee.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Wow! Quite a story there John! Glad you, your wife and your cats are okay!

Gotta love karma paybacks though. ;) Perhaps he'll stay out of your wife's parking spot now?

Hope not too many people got hurt in the storm!

Frederick

Second Unit
This has been a pretty rough year for storms. Chicago almost floated away last week. We're talking HEAVY rains, microbursts, everything but actual twisters. It rained so bad one day last week that the park that my son goes to for summer camp was surrounded by a moat. Every street around it was flooded.

Freddy C.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Wow Spence... glad to hear you are OK. I saw the story this morning on boston.com and called my parents to see if any damage hit Jackson... that's all they needed, after the tornadoes. Luckily, Jackson seems to have been spared this time.

I saw that Memphis Intl was practically shut down and that Northwest was advising people to cancel travel involving Memphis until Sunday. I hope it gets better soon - I'll be flying into Memphis (on NWA) a week from this coming Friday :)

Glad to hear you guys are OK.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah, our area got hammered. The conservative estimate is that we probably won't get power until the weekend, since the downtown area is going to take so much work to recover. but it's cool. My wife went to her mom's, and the cats and I are just hanging out, reading "The Wheel Of Time" by candlelight.

Oh, and Daniel, wrong forum, my friend. Wrong forum.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Piloted by Capt. Eazy-E and Dr. Druuuuee!

Two hard hittin' thugs from the west siiiiiide.
Even if E to da Muthaphackin E-A-Z-Y was still alive, I don't think we'd see him and Dre together anywhere, much less on an airplane :D

I looked for ya on AIM last night too Spence, but alas, no Spence... I need a ride to da Mound when I get in so I can deliver a package :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks