Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Info on this format of audio!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 MarkLaf

MarkLaf

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 01:49 AM

I was rummaging threw my parents basement and found a piece by sony called and EL Cassette. Any ideas on how old this is or what the format ammounted to. There are also some tapes look like vhs tapes almost.

Thanks, Mark

#2 of 3 alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 02:32 AM

El Cassette was a failed format promoted by Sony. I can't recall the year it was released to the public - I think sometime in the early or mid 80's. The idea was to combine the cassette with reel-to-reel, and use wider tape for all the reasons that wide tape is better than narrow tape. It was to be more audiophile oriented. Nice idea, but one of the advantages of cassette is its small size, and El Cassette, of course, is anything but small and convenient. Not many cared about the advantages and so it was eventually dropped.

I believe there are some El Cassette enthusiasts still around, but I haven't encountered one for years.

Have you tried playing the machine? It would be interesting to know if it still worked.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#3 of 3 MarkLaf

MarkLaf

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 07:26 AM

I havent played it yet. According to my dad he packed it up to move in september 1980 2 months after i was born and its been in the box in the basemnet ever since then. I am going to take it out this weekend and see if it plays. Is this worht money to anyone like a collectors piece@

Mark