What's new

Not sure about buying Knights of the Old Republic (1 Viewer)

Scott Varney

Agent
Please help me make up my mind as to if I should purchase Knights of the Old Republic for the Xbox. I'm a huge Star Wars fan but my only experience with RPGs was one of the Final Fantasy games (one of the PS1 games). And to be honest, I didn't like Final Fantasy, I felt as though I was watching the game instead of playing.

Was this Final Fantasy experience atypical of RPGs? Is Knights of the Old Republic a better game for the non-RPG player? To give another example of my taste, my favorite game of late is Splinter Cell.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Im not a big RPG fan at all. Buy Knights of the old republic. one of my new favorite games

capt

NickC

Second Unit
you say your a huge Star Wars fan? The what are you waiting for, buy , buy, buy... Word has it is one of the best Star wars games, if not the best....

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
It's not really a hardcore rpg at all. It's easy to get the hang of and if you like star wars, you'll enjoy it quite a lot. Especially if you've read the comics. I can't even remember which series that was anymore, Tales of the Jedi was it?

Howie A

Second Unit
Your kidding right?
I have never wanted to play anything even resembling a turn base nonlive action rpg.
Now I can not get this game out of my xbox. (I have most of the new good games but I cant find time to play them now) I think I might play through it a few times to see the branching story and how much I can change the events that take place..
Are you still reading "Go to the closest store now and pick up this epic game that cant be missed!!"
You'll be missing out if you dont.. :D

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Hmmm....

It's rare you'll find a topic on the HTF (or any other forum, for that matter) where you'll see so many posts without seeing one person who disagrees.

[Persuade] Go get this game. It's great!

Leroy

Second Unit
What Bryan said that Brian said! :D

Aside from Phantasy Star on the SMS I haven't been into RPG's at all. That said, this game is just plain fun. The combat system (which Is what normally turns me away from RPG's)work, and works well. You feel more involved in the battles than you would in a pure turn-based system

Anyway, get it. You won't regret it.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Okay, I'll be the jerk who throws the yellow flag when everyone else is throwing green... :)

You said:

I'm a huge Star Wars fan but my only experience with RPGs was one of the Final Fantasy games (one of the PS1 games). And to be honest, I didn't like Final Fantasy, I felt as though I was watching the game instead of playing.
While KOTOR plays very differently from the Final Fantasy games, it's still an RPG and thus shares a lot of the core elements with the FF series (as well as all RPGs). So when you say you didn't like Final Fantasy, it really depends on what specifically you didn't like about it that will determine whether or not you will like KOTOR.

Personally, I love the game--in fact, it's probably one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and it's definitely creeping up on my all-time great games, period, list. But here are some similarities to FF that you should be aware of:

As with all RPGs, you start out as a relative weakling, and a huge focus of the game is leveling up by killing monsters for experience, and gradually gaining better equipment, abilities, and character stats. Also, the combat is not quite truly turn-based, but there are turn-based elements to it. Meaning you tell your character to attack, and he attacks until you tell him to do something else. It isn't like Splinter Cell, where your success in a battle depends on your skill with using the thumbstick to aim, etc. It is dice-based, meaning that a dice is rolled (figuratively) and that determines whether or not you hit and how much damage you do. You have no control over the fight other than choosing the action you will take. (It sounds a lot more limiting that it really is, actually it's very cool the way it's done, but it should be pointed out that the game is doing the fighting for you--you do not control every swing of the saber.)

There is also a broad, over-reaching story and tons of side-quests, which serve to flesh out the Star Wars universe and provide the opportunity for your character to level up. Party management is a key aspect as well, as you are responsible not only for your character, but an entire group of people who eventually end up joining you (just like FF, you can take two others with you at any one time). The CPU will control their actions by default, but you can switch to any of them on the fly and queue up a different action.

So there are some definite similarities to FF that you should be aware of. It's a great, great, game and I agree with everyone that you should at least give it a rental to see if you like it (ESPECIALLY if you are a Star Wars fan), but depending on what, exactly, you didn't like about FF, you might also object to that element in KOTOR.

Frederick

Second Unit
I have to agree with everyone else. I'm not big on RPG's at all. Even the FF series never really grabbed me. But I can't stop playing this game. Last weekend I was up `till 3 am playing this game. I can't remember the last time I played a game that hard. It just draws you in. You really should consider picking this one up. I doubt if you'll be disappointed ...

Freddy C.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
To me, the distinction between a game like KOTOR and a Final Fantasy-type RPG is that the encounter/combat system in KOTOR is much smoother because you have the freedom to either let the guys go and let the outcome of the battle come naturally, or you can slow things down and micromanage the strategy if you think that's necessary. You can also move your character around the battlefield for better positioning anytime you want because there's no distinction between the world you explore and the battlefield.

When I think of FF, I usually think of getting into an encounter with some bad guys, and then the game suddenly transports you to a rigid arena setting where you have to meticulously control everyone in turn, then wait for the bad guys to take their turns, then you go, etc. until one side is wiped out. It's a totally different vibe because it's almost more like a board game, whereas keeping things in motion makes things feel more immediate IMO.

James St

Supporting Actor
To me, the distinction between a game like KOTOR and a Final Fantasy-type RPG is that the encounter/combat system in KOTOR is much smoother
I agree. The battles are more up tempo which keeps the game flowing. Also you don't get mysteriously attacked every fifteen steps you take. You can usually see the enemies you are about to face.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Good point, Andy, and well said. I tried not to imply that the two battle systems were completely similar, but that is an important distinction you pointed out. What I was trying to get at is if Scott likes the total control over a character's actions in a game like Splinter Cell (meaning jump, duck, sneak, crouch, snipe, etc.), and doesn't like games where your level of control is on a broader level like "attack", "cast this spell", "throw grenade", etc, then that might be something for him to consider.

JayV

Supporting Actor
I'll be the voice of dissent. DO NOT GET IT! I urge you not to rent it, either.

KOTOR is a time thief and will consume your life. And now I must go contemplate adding a Darth Malak jaw to my monkey logo.

-j

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I love this game. I was skeptical at first, but all I can think about is what feat to get next. I'm GOING CRAZY!! MUHAHAAHHAHHAA!!!!:angry:

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm like alot of other people here in that I can't put the damn game down! Last night, or should I say, this morning, I ended up finally going to bed just after 6:00am.

...I'm tired. :frowning:

Anyhoo, I personally think that, so far, the story in this game beats anything Mr. Lucas himself has put out in the last 2 movies. Just my opinion.

Okay, here's a question for gamers: What's the most important aspect of an RPG? In my opinion, it would be the story.

ChrisV

Second Unit
There are two reasons not to buy Knights of the Old Republic, and they are both easily remedied:

1. You don't have an Xbox — so buy an Xbox.
2. You have a life — so don't sleep.

No problem ;)
This game is awesome. Fun with a capital F U (provided you're dark-side of course :p) ).

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
My X Box has been collecting dust for many months now but I'm a big Star Wars fan and I hadn't heard anything about this game. Thanks HTF:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks