Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Name this game please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 09:23 AM

I am trying to remember the name of a PC game that saw in the stores years ago (maybe 3-5 years?) It was a horror game based on some Edgar Allan Poe story. The setting of this game was some spooky house. I remember the look of the animation to be almost claymation in apperance but I don't know if it actually was.

If you know the name of it could you also tell me if the game was any good. I remember the screenshots on the back of the box being pretty creepy.
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 10:04 AM

Is it "D"?

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Joel Hurley

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 10:23 AM

Grim Fandango?

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   James_Kiang

James_Kiang

Screenwriter

• 1,171 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 11:24 AM

I was thinking Alone in the Dark, but that was more Lovecraft inspired and not claymation looking.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 11:53 AM

Sounds like the old CD-ROM game "7th Guest". But Im not sure. Dont know if the game was based on a book. The game had a Myst kind of gameplay. Static screens and click to move to another location. Lots of puzzles, I remember.
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 11:55 AM

If it was first person, it could be Realms of the Haunting... A rather underrated game at the time, but it's garned a cult following since then.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Steve Hunt

Steve Hunt

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 12:34 PM

I think the game your thinking of is The Dark Eye.

Clicky clicky http://www.the-under...game.php?id=273

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Evans

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 03:35 AM

I believe Steve has this one correct. The look of Dark Eye is definitely the most claymation-esque of those titles and is, as noted, based on Poe's stories.

Realms of the Haunting doesn't look like that at all, though its cult following is well deserved. The very definition of underrated title, it's one of the spookiest games in the early horror genre.
Mark Evans

"I'm sure that's it. Maybe I should write a horror novel on passive resistance instead."
- Gabriel Knight

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 04:08 AM

The Dark Eye is definitely the one I'm thinking of. Thanks a lot!Posted Image

Anyone play this one? Is it worth playing?

Also, thanks for the suggestion on other titles. I might have to check them out.
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,272 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 11:02 AM

I was also thinking 7Th Guest... Great game!!!! One of the very first CD ROM games, with nice Video sequences.... But it was more than 5 years ago... That game was around 93 messa thinks......
Steve Simon
HTF Administration
(Retired)

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 03:14 AM

Doesn't surprise me. I have a hard time remembering what I ate for breakfast. Anything beyond that gets all muddled together into one big memory pool.:b
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Ray Warner

Ray Warner

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 08:30 AM

I've played The Dark Eye. I'd pick it up if you're a Poe fan, but beyond that, it's a bit hard to recommend.

Essentially, you play through a few of Poe's murder stories. It's a little weird because you typically have the option of playing as the murderer or the victim, which sort of kills the narritive if Poe had set the story from the point of view of the killer.

Nevertheless, the visuals are spot-on, and it's enjoyable enough. Pick it up; it can't be that expensive.
XBL Tag: DeusJester (pronounce it DAYS-Jester)
Current Project: Trying to make my Dreamcast think it's a Naomi board. It's working so far!