What's new

VERY Inexpensive 6.1 set (1 Viewer)

TylerD

Auditioning
Hi, This'll be my first HT (I know very little about receivers and speakers), and I just want something that will be clear, detailed, and powerful... for the price. I have a DVD player with optical out and I need a Receiver and Speaker set. I'd like to stay under $500 for everything, but if need be I can push it to $600. I realize this issue may show up often, but I can't seem to find any answers.

It's extremely important to me that the set supports DD EX, DTS ES, and maybe that DTS Neo thing (although I don't know what that is, an explanation would be appreciated). As far as the receiver, I'd like it to also have component input and outputs (along with the traditional S-vid, and composite) and alot of settings to play around with (which I assume most have).

Also, I've been looking a few speaker sets like the Onkyo SKS-HT510 and the Yamaha NS-P236 and NS-P436. I havn't heard either, but they seem nice.. I don't know. Uhh, Any advice would be REALLY appreciated.

-Thanx Tyler

Steve Adams

Second Unit
ok, first, get the fluance av-htb speaker set, you cannot get better for that price. you can pick these up direct from them for 199.00. it includes 2 towers, a center channel, and 2 surrounds. For the receiver, look at panasonic's he 100, onkyo's 500, a few of the cheaper pioneers. You can actaully get the pioneer vsx 43tx from ebay for 499.00 that is a sweet deal! you will have a very nice sounding system with this combo.....i can assure you. or if you want to get a sub and rear center channel speaker, get the pioneer vsx-d912k, for 289.00 and get a cheap sub and rear center channel!

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
that's a really tight budget. reallllllly tight...

sony str-de695, yamaha rx-v440, pioneer vsx-d812k, jvc rx-7030, or kenwood vr-707.

all of those run for about 300. so that leaves you with about 300 to spend on speakers. for 300, you can get a good pair of bookshelf speakers then later on upgrade to full surround. if sound quality isn't an issue for you though, go for the cheap speakers. if you're going to go with cheap speakers, go with the sony receiver. it's cheap, but has a weak power supply (that won't really matter to you tho, since most likely your speakers won't be capable of running full range).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
On that budget, I would stick to a basic 5.1 system. Getting the best quality receiver and speakers within your budget (which is very tight) should take priority over marginal "formats" like DD EX and DTS-ES.

DTS Neo is essentially DTS's answer to Dolby ProLogic 2. If I had a choice, I would take the latter over the former (and you're more likely to find it at the budget level you've set yourself).

Here's a thread by someone engaged in a similar search:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=150409

And if you haven't already spent some time with our Beginner's Primer and FAQ, I recommend it. Link is in my signature.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've consolidated Tyler's threads on this subject, along with all the replies to date, in the Basics forum.

M.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Michael. With a budget this limited, I would advise limiting to a 5.1 system. Besides the fact that a 6.1 system means the purchase of one more speaker (thereby lowering the potential quality of them all), there are some point-in-time issues revolving around package values.

Since 6.1 is relatively new, the packages tend to not target the entry-level systems. So most of the packages will be for 5.1.

I’d choose between 5.1 as a whole, or spend my money on a 6.1 receiver (with all the features that you want) and begin with two front speakers and add as your budget allows.

If you go with 5.1, I think that the Acoustic Research HC6, which can be found for under $400 is a very good option. There are lots of entry level receivers that will power this system that can be had for $150–$200.

Good luck.

TylerD

Auditioning
Thanx alot guys!, I really appriciate the help. And, I'm sorry Admins, I didn't think it would be a problem posting the same message in two sections. My mistake, thanx for fixing it. :)

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Tyler,

Im telling you, get the fluance! they rock. they are a new company that are trying to make a name for them selves by offering amazing deals on their systems. and they are worth every penny and more! Where else are you going to get a complete speaker system with towers for 199.00....and they sound incredible!

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
And here is the Onkyo 6.1 HTiB that basically combines the components pointed out by Bill_Will for $500. I can't attest to the quality of it though as I only heard it in a crowded Fry's setup.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I would say go with the Onkyo set up for now. Then later when more $$ is available keep the receiver and upgrade to better speakers.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
the fluance set and a good receiver will blow any home theater in a box in the weeds for sound quality. You will just need a sub for bottom end.

TylerD

Auditioning
Wow, thank you soo much for the advice, I'll definitely consider the fluance (even tho it gets pricey for a full 6.1 set), but as of now I'm leaning more toward the onkyo or yamaha speaker sets and the pioneer vsx-d812k receiver... That seems like decent system for a beginner, but please keep the replies comin, I'd like to know if THAT system sounds good. (pun intended ;))

TylerD

Auditioning
Sorry for the double post, but I was wondering which one you guys think is better:

Sony str-de695
Pioneer vsx-d812k

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
My personal preference would be either the Onkyo that I suggested earlier or the Sony over the Pioneer. But just about anyone you ask will have different opinions. It's best to try to hear them yourself and make sure they have the inputs/outputs that you require.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend the onkyo HTIB from onecall too. I heard the speakers and they sound great for the price. The receiver is better then most bundled receivers. This will allow you to keep the receiver and upgrade speakers later on. I would think the receiver is equivalent to the tx-sr501

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
I would like to know how the older JBL SCS 135S or 150S would compare with the sets included in the Onkyo HTiB set. I mean 5 satellites speakers and a sub, and an 2~300 receiver would also fit the poster's bill (preferably HK's 125 - possibly refurbed or online order). Any opinion on this set versus the Onkyo HTiB speakers would be appreciated.

I am curious since I also want to set up an inexpensive HT, and would like HK 125 or 225 as the heart of my bedroom HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks