Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A Dribble of News about ENTERPRISE (II)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 10:05 AM

SciFiWire: "Enterprise Meets The Xindi "

dateline: July 21, 2003 9:00 a.m. ET

Quote:
Brannon Braga, executive producer of UPN's Enterprise, told SCI FI Wire that that viewers can expect to see five species of the Xindi, the new alien threat facing Capt. Archer (Scott Bakula) and his crew, in the show's upcoming third season. "Our five Xindi species are a Xindi humanoid; a Xindi reptilian; the Xindi sloth, which is evolved from a furry, arboreal creature, an arboreal primate; the Xindi insectoid; and the Xindi aquatics," Braga said in an interview.

The humanoid, reptilian, and sloth Xindi will be portrayed by actors in prosthetics and costumes, Braga said. The Xindi insectoids and aquatics will be computer-generated.

"We're calling them the Xindi aquatics, and they're like dolphins and whales," Braga said. "When they're in meetings, they have to live in a big tank, in a big and murky tank. When the aquatics and the insectoids speak, of course, there's going to have to be subtitles, because the languages are just too weird."

Enterprise will come in contact with all five Xindi species, but the aliens likely won't act in unison. "There are going to be some questions as to which Xindi species believes it's the dominant species, as you might imagine would happen in a situation like that," Braga said. "In some ways Star Trek lives or dies by how interesting its alien villains are, and I think the Xindi are an interesting concept." UPN will re-launch Enterprise, in September, with a season opener appropriately entitled "The Xindi."

[Sigh]. Brannon tells us again.

---Why is it that Braga's or Berman's explanations of what they do always have a "by-the-numbers" feel to them?

---And, how 'bout "Star Trek lives or dies by how interesting its stories are"?????

---Finally, where are the monkeys?!? Don't they have any monkeys?!?
"Delenda est . . . . "

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 10:38 AM

Hey, give them credit for at least trying to come up with a more interesting alien than "guy with rubber on forehead". That's progress, in some form.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,831 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 11:00 AM

Cyan in small text font is really tough to read...
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 03:09 PM

Wow. This is the first post I can think of I've had to cut and paste into something else in order to read it. I guess my eyesight is getting worse.. *shrug* maybe this 19" monitor needs to go.. Posted Image Yeah, that's what I'll tell the wife.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 02:54 AM

Quote:
Finally, where are the monkeys?!? Don't they have any monkeys?!?

How bout a whole species of monkeys in human clothing. Man, that's comedy!
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 03:04 AM

Quote:
Hey, give them credit for at least trying to come up with a more interesting alien than "guy with rubber on forehead".

Agreed. Sounds like they are putting some effort into the Xindi. Although now I'm wondering... five species? So does the term "Xindi" describe their planet? Their solar-system? An alliance/empire of sorts?

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 07:53 AM

Read yet another article addressing the problems with Trek in this weekws Entertainment Weekly (the one with Tobey Mc Guire on the cover).
They agree that they need either new writers or a rest for the franchise.

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 08:43 AM

> Cyan in small text font is really tough to read...

Yeah- I found if I highlighted it, it was OK to read. No need to copy it.

Are they gonna explain why these Xindi species are never mentioned in the Trek universe after the time period of Enterprise? Or have they given up on the idea of continuity?

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 09:51 AM

Continuity? Who needs your stinking continuity!
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 11:37 AM

Quote:
Are they gonna explain why these Xindi species are never mentioned in the Trek universe after the time period of Enterprise? Or have they given up on the idea of continuity?
Honestly - who cares? They never mentioned the Gorn, or the First Federation, or any number of other things that appered in TOS on TNG. Kirk & company ran into multiple types of androids and yet everyone acted like Data was some kind of big deal 100 years later. Berman, Piller, Behr and company happily threw out how TNG described the Ferengi and Trill in order to make Quark and Dax more interesting characters.

Questions about whether i will be dotted and t crossed in continuity are the least important concerns for Star Trek; it's not even on the same chart as "good writing". Continuity is a fluid thing anyway; any long-term franchise inevitably undergoes adjustments.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 01:45 AM

UPN announced at the TCA press tour that the Season 3 premiere of Enterprise will be on September 10. Looks like they're trying to get a two-week jump (at least) on Smallville.

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 05:17 AM

More Enterprise news on Sci Fi Wire today:

Quote:
"What you see are guys that have spent the entire hiatus trying to position the show and new scripts and new ideas, and they're rethinking everything," star Scott Bakula (Capt. Archer) said in an interview at UPN's fall press preview. "I'm saying to them every day, 'Think out of the box.' ... And they're saying, 'Let's do this.' And everybody is doing that. They spent all of their energy creating this new place. And now they're peopling it. And we're discovering it."

Executive producers Brannon Braga and Rick Berman and the cast revealed several key changes in interviews and during a press conference on July 22:
•The Enterprise crew will be joined by new characters, members of a Military Assault Command Operations, or MACO. "They're kind of semi-recurring and will be used on certain away missions," Braga said. Those characters have yet to be cast.
•Archer will get a little darker, a bit more driven in his mission to stop the Xindi. "The idea of being the peaceful 'We-come-in-friendship' [guy], ... that guy is gone," Bakula said.
•T'Pol (Jolene Blalock) will no longer be under the control of the Vulcan High Command and will begin to explore emotions and humanity. She'll also get a new look: new hair, new costumes. "We've got color, and that's always exciting," Blalock said.
•Trip (Connor Trinneer) will grieve for his sister and struggle to balance a need for revenge with his sense of duty to Starfleet. Seeking help from T'Pol, he may find himself more intimately involved with her than ever before.
•The Temporal Cold War and the Suliban storyline will become an integral part of the Xindi arc later in the season, Berman said.

Enterprise returns to Wednesdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT, starting Sept. 10.

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 05:27 AM

I kind of like the idea of monkeys dressed in uniforms. Maybe comedy would be a point of departure.

Yes, Rex, it all has a by-the-numbers feel to it; I've been mouthing off to that effect for ages.

Jason, true, the Gorn were never revisited, but it always did bug me about Data's ongoing pathos about "being alone in the Universe" and the Federation's endless obsessions with Data's uniqueness as an artificial lifeform while also knowing that Kirk, Spock, Uhura, Checkov, and Mr. Mudd defeated an entire planet of androids beautiful androids in "I, Mudd." And then there was Nomad, while not a human-resembling android, who had a thing about biological lifeforms. And on and on.

Good writing trumps, sure, but for so sprawling a franchise we need some continuity.

As for next-season Enterprise, I'm not looking forward to it in the slightest. If Braga and Berman don't seem to care why should I?

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,553 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 05:30 AM

Finally, the Star Trek franchise makes a major leap into the 90's in the way it depicts aliens.
Quote:
"We're calling them the Xindi aquatics, and they're like dolphins and whales"
How imaginative. We've never seen creatures like that before, have we?
Quote:
"...of course, there's going to have to be subtitles, because the languages are just too weird."
Oh, give me a break. It's not like they're from Holland, or anything. Just make them speak English like everybody else in the Universe.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 05:33 AM

Exactly, Brian!

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 08:19 AM

If there like Whales do you think the Probe from Star Trek 4 will show up?

"There be Whales here."

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 09:06 AM

Or we could have whales wearing Picard-era Starfleet uniforms. After all, continuity means nothing to the present regime. In fact, the Xindi should be whales, and thus shatter the myth of those creatures as benevolent mammals possessing dignity. Let's bring out the inner-Ahab in all of us. Whales are our enemies, but we think they're our friends because they're wearing Starfleet uniforms from the 24th century.

Man, this is hot stuff! I need to submit a story pitch to Paramount today. Or sometime this week, at least.

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 750 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 09:58 AM

Quote:
---Finally, where are the monkeys?!? Don't they have any monkeys?!?
Yes, they're writing the show this season! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 10:12 AM

Good one Marvin.

Posted Image

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 07:14 PM

To me continuity means much less than telling good stories and creating good characters. Yes, this show has problems but I would consider continuity to be the least of them.

And this from someone who has been a fan of the show since the TOS days (at least the repeats in the early 70s).

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow