Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What do you sleep on?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 01:21 PM

I keep getting literature about the "sleep number" bed. You know the one that has tunable firmness using air pockets to sleep on. Anyone have one these? If so what do you think? And just to answer my own question - pillowtop Serta something or other. Comfy but thinking of going from the queen to a king.
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   David Preston

David Preston

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 05:21 PM

I'll let you know soon I just ordered a new bedroom suit and new mattresses. I forgot the name but they are had a great feel in store. They were kinda pricy but I think they will be worth it.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 05:42 PM

Thanks, you reminded me that it's late and I need to go to bed! Posted Image

6" natural latex foam base (each 3" layer customized hardnesses) ($600 or so)
3" organic cotton/wool futon topper. ($400)

I have never slept in a better bed. I've tried Select Comfort, I've slept on really good hotel beds, sertas, etc. and on every trip, my wife and I can't wait to get home to our bed. Check out your local futon store, they might set these kinds of things up. That's where we got our bed. The foam alone is a great bed. I have a tempur-pedic pillow, which I really like, and I don't know how the TP mattresses sleep, but I've heard that they are really good. They are a closed foam, though, so they won't breathe like wool or latex foam will. (Maybe if you had holes in it...)

ps: I did always want Tempur-Pedic after reading Neuromancer... seemed cool and cyberpunk. It would have to be pink, though... Posted Image

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   John Thomas

John Thomas

Screenwriter

• 2,637 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 05:46 PM

a bed. duh.

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 05:54 PM

For the last while, I sleep downstairs, on the floor, with kid #1, while my wife sleeps upstairs on a bed with kid #2. As soon as we can convince kid #1 that this room is no longer scary, I can of course, return to sleeping in a bed Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 09:12 PM

I've got one of those memory foam mattress pads on my bed. As an insomniac, it's been a lifesaver.
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   MikeH1

MikeH1

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 03:14 AM

I sleep on a old mattress on the floor with no boxspring or anything. I would like to upgrade to a nice bedroom suite but that would cut into my HT and computer upgrade allowance.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 04:52 AM

I have always had severe back problems ever since the age of 12, and beds have always bothered my back even more. I tried the most expensive hard beds/soft beds and nothing seemed to make any difference. Finally, I tried a water-bed and I've been using one ever since. Now my back doesn't hurt as much, and it's EXTREMELY comfortable to sleep on. BTW, I have the wavy kind...now they make stiff water-beds, but I wouldn't want one of those.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 08:32 AM

John Thomas, you stole what I was going to say! Posted Image
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 01:49 PM

I have a Tempurpedic bed. It is really nice in the winter, because it tends to trap heat. It is really helpful for my very-slightly gimped back too. I love this bed. Best I've had. However, if you live in a hot climate, it may be wise to use less blankets!
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 07:53 PM

The real key to finding the right bedding is to wear clean, comfortable clothing (the "clean" part includes your socks) :>) to the store and "test sleep" the mattresses that seem to be contenders. That means at least a half hour on each one, and in a position on the bed that is like you would be in at home when sleeping -- not the stiff "coffin-dweller" position I see so many people in when they are supposedly trying out mattresses for "comfort". No one mattress design is going to suit all people. But that said, in my experience, Ekornes Svane bedding can't be topped. (Except with its own "topper".) :>) I tried the Tempurpedic mattress and pillow first at the same store as the Ekornes Svane (laid on it for almost an hour and actually slept most of that time, which is a good sign). :>) It was a bit disconcerting at first just how firm the Tempurpedic mattress was until the body heat kind of "melted" the space-age foam material into a conforming depression supportive in a way that a coil or air mattress cannot hope to be. It seemed a bit slow in "restoring" to neutral and re-conforming when I shifted position, but I guess the idea is that it will be so "comfy" and supportive without restricting circulation that you won't be changing position very often in one sleep session. I was just about sold. But then I went over to the Ekornes Svane display and laid on the mattress and box spring with their 4 inch thick space-age foam "topper", and I knew right away it was going to be a tough competition. After another near-hour of laying on the Ekornes Svane, I was sold on it. Like the Tempurpedic, it firmly but gently and correctly conformed to the body's shape and position as I lay there, but unlike the Tempurpedic, it "restored" almost immediately and re-conformed virtually instantly if I changed position. I felt like it was truly serving my comfort instead of having to fight it (or be "patient") for it to do its work. As an experiment I had the salesperson take the Ekornes Svane "topper" off the Ekornes Svane mattress and box spring and tried the mattress w/o the topper and then tried the topper on a "budget" mattress they had nearby. The mattress without the topper was just another overpriced, albeit well constructed, firm mattress. But the Ekornes Svane "topper" on the budget mattress was equally as comfortable as when it had been on the Ekornes Svane mattress. The "topper" is the magical part that really conforms to the body -- so that is what I bought (for $400) and put it on top of the too-hard old mattress I had been ready to replace at home. All the "topper" needed was a firm foundation to support it, and that it has. I did buy the Tempurpedic pillow, though. That $100 piece of space-age foam (covered in an all-cotton case) is simply miraculous. It really relaxes the neck, and conforms to the head in a properly supportive way that has to be experienced to be believed. I sometimes augment it with a down pillow underneath it to give it more elevation when I am lying on my side, with part of the down pillow extended out to support my arm. But if I am on my back, the Tempurpedic pillow is perfect "as is". Hope you find the right mattress for your sleeping comfort.
Burke

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 12:40 PM

I sleep on a really nice chair that has fold out legs and reclines quite a bit. I'll fall asleep in my chair and then about 50% of the time I'll wake up during the night and hop into my bed. I sleep on the chair because I have a hard time falling asleep on a bed, I'm cursed.

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 01:20 PM

I have a queen sized spring air with a pillow top. Its REALLY comfortable.
Michael Alletto

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 01:25 PM

My stomach. I'll be here all week, folks!
"The feel of the experience is the important thing, not the ability to verbalize it." -Stanley Kubrick

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   John Thomas

John Thomas

Screenwriter

• 2,637 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 03:31 PM

"Company time." Oh! Move over, Steve!

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 04:09 PM

How long were you in the store Burke? I've got it figured at about 2 hr. 40 min. Posted Image

The fact that you could actually sleep in the store is amazing to me. Do they have a little room where they close the door and turn down the lights? Or are you out there in the middle of the showroom with customers milling about, small children rushing about playing hide and seek and cashiers calling for price checks over the PA? I need more info. Posted Image

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 05:23 PM

[quote] I need more info. [quote] Because I had already done some research and asked informed questions they knew I was a serious customer. Also that was the store where I had bought my Ekornes Stressless Recliner, so I was a repeat customer -- the salesperson from whom I had bought the chair recognized me and said hello. However, it is my impression that they would be helpful to anyone who comes in and looks like they are really interested in the furniture and doesn't look like Charles Manson or Ted Kaczynski. :>)

If you would like more specific info about the store, feel free to email or PM me.
Burke

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 02:51 AM

zzZZZZzzzZZzzzzZZZZzzzzzz.... *snort* Huh? Whuzza? Sorry. Napping here... ...zzzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZZzzZzzzZzZZzzZZZZzzzzZZzzzz. ...

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted July 23 2003 - 04:49 AM

I have a bed of cast-off straw and filthy rags I've stolen from drifter's corpses. :wink:
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users