What's new

The Restaurant (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yes, another reality TV show, this time, it takes place in a restaurant, and I'm afraid that after watching this show, I won't be able to eat at any restaurant with enough confidence that my food hasn't been...prepared well, or has been mistreated.

It starts tonight, Sunday on NBC in the 10 p.m. EST timeslot.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The show was pretty good. Looks like NBC has a winner.

I also see that NBC will be showing "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy" later this week. Its also running on Bravo.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While you wonder how much if this is played up due to the cameras, the high pressure of providing timely service in a restaurant is fertile ground for anxiety and manic actions and reactions in the kitchen, away from the tables. I think it's compelling enough to watch the grand opening in next week's episode.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
It's been interesting so far and I am also looking forward to next week's blaze. Although, I can see it could get old fast.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I didn't see the show but I wonder how this guy could think this is good for his restaurant business? If everyone gets to see the behind-the-scenes disasters that take place then why would anyone want to eat there? Is one of the episodes going to be about a roach or rat problem?

Did he ever explain why he is stupid enough to do this show?

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Is one of the episodes going to be about a roach or rat problem?
They already touched on the rat problem. :eek: FYI, a lot of restaurants have rodent and pest problems, you just don't know about it unless you live in a city where restaurant shutdowns are published in the newspapers.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I don't think I'll be home to watch this. I would like to know how it goes and how people like it. I've seen it all now.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Saw episodes 1 and 2 and am totally hooked. I worked and a restaurant for a while, started as a host, moved to server, ended up as floor manager, so none of the disasters on the show were surprising. Granted, the place I worked at wasn't a trendy NY spot costing millions to get off the ground and run by one of People magazines "Sexiest Men Alive," but I could still very much relate. My reputation as a TV snob might be out the window after saying this (normally I'd rather stand in line to be searched by airport security than watch a reality TV show), but I found this show to be the most interesting hour of TV I've seen since "24"! Am I the only one who loved this?

Pieter

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I taped it last night and watched it when I got in. I kinda wondered how much if any of it is staged? I mean who in their right mind would give a waiter their credit card to go across the street to buy some wine? I was kinda disappointed to see so many of the staff complaining about having to work so hard the first night.Having a sucessful restaurant business is very difficult, many fail during the first year of business. Hard work and sacrifice are what it takes to make a business profitable folks. My advice to the complainers is,If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! I'll check it out again next week to see if any of the whiners can't take it.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I'll say, this is an interesting concept, and seems like it's REAL reality TV. I've been interested by the commercials we've been airing, and it is like a guy running a small business, only more interesting. Everything that was good about the movie/doc Startup.com could be here... we'll see!

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
It's a pretty interesting show!

That waiter who went to look for the red wine has a major attitude -- I'd be surprised if he lasts. One of the first things Rocco told the staff during training was to get ANYTHING their customers desire -- yet, this guy's immediate response is "We're out of red wine"!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I kinda wondered how much if any of it is staged?
There is an article in this week's TV Guide (apparently available in the magazine only, not online), that explains some of the setup. As I recall, they have nine cameras running around and mics stashed all over. You sign a release when you go in the restaurant. You can opt to sit at a "hot table", where you will definitely be filmed; I forget if they encourage you to make something happen.

//Ken

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
The French GM seems like a bad stereotype, but the broken arm incident may not be helpful for his long term survival as well.

Rocco is an interesting guy, slamming insults and charming people all in one feel swoop, he is a magnetic personality.

Really good show, I wonder if this show will end at this location after its initial run, and next time they choose a new restaurant or if they somehow find a way to revisit this locale.

It was good tv to see Rocco slam the hammer down on some of these slackers.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
The thing that gets me is if the guy's elbow or arm is really broken he'd be really hurting and not be moving it around, plus it would be swelling up like crazy. Did I hear it right when someone said the guy broke some of the plates with his face when he fell?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
This weeks episode makes Rocco come off as a complete ass. I understand he is the owner and all that but treating your employees like shit in front of their tables when you really don't know the personalities of your employees yet is just opening the door for a lawsuit. Not to mention the guy who fell. Can you say workers comp? Or worse when they ask him to come in and he gets all dressed up only to have them tell him to go home?

I'm loving all the negative comments of the customers. Too funny.

Another thing that is annoying me in the extreme is the HUGE blatent advertising by coors and amex. Its almost to the extreme as far as dropping names goes. Makes the whole thing look like its staged just to make an hour long commercial for coors and amex.

The french guy is a major ass. It must be New York, thats the only thing I can think of.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I was let down by this week's episode. It was very similar to episode 2. Staff being shat upon, customers having terrible experiences, and Rocco being largely oblivious. I wanted some development, some resolution to last week's disasterous opening day. Instead it was the same conflicts, and no resolution. I kind of felt like Rocco's customers, sitting around for an hour waiting for something to happen and in the end being disappointed with the results. I hope next week offers something new.

Pieter

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't eat there after seeing this show, that's for sure. There are some whiney waiter on that wait staff.

Do they have camera crews following all of these waiters around? That's got to be either really expensive or staged (when Gideon gets the call at his pad, or when Topher calls Carrie at her apartment after the restaurant has closed for the evening).

Anyone think Topher just doesn't know how to enter orders on their computuer order system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks