What's new

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
anyone catch this show? it is too too funny.

essentially five gay guys (each with their own specialty: clothing, cooking etc) team up to help a straight guy dial in his fashion sense, etc.

what i like about the show is that the gay guys seem sincere about trying to help out the straight dude. plus they make some really funny comments. they're almost over the top, but in a good way.

i give this show three snaps in the unheard of z-formation!

http://www.bravotv.com/Queer_Eye_for_the_Straight_Guy/

todd s

Senior HTF Member
This show was like watching a Saturday Night Live skit. The one gay guy that picks the clothes was so over the top. He acted just like the stereotypical gay guy. Although, my wife and I first thought it was Bill Brochtrup from NYPD Blue(He's the desk PA).
The show was very interesting. I like the fact that people were not eating the real expensive food they flew in.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I love this show! Carson is especially hilarious with his one-liners! I thought the transformations were remarkable, and it was so nice seeing the delight of the straight guy and his friends and family with the results. And the almost "proud parent" reaction of the gay guys as they saw the new confidence they helped instill in the straight guy.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I thought the show was really funny. Carson is definitely over the top, but I thought the funniest line of the first ep was at his expense.

Jai (at least I think it was Jai) and Carson were helping Butch try on some jeans and Jai said something to the effect of "Better tuck in those pockets before he does it for you" to Butch. Carson was being a bit overly flirty with him.

I think some of the guys on Team Q are overly specialized which may lead to problems in later episodes. I mean, are there really that many straight guys who need help with clothes, grooming, decorating, food and culture?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
David, yes. All straight guys are completely clueless about everything. At least if tv's any indication.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
My wife wanted to watch it so I did and it was such a funny show. Too bad we did not record the second airing but it is set up for next week. Some of the guys were acting stereotypical I guess but there are gay guys that act like that. I do think they are probably kicking it up a notch to make more intersting TV or maybe being in a group changed their behavior slightly (I know I act a little differently around a bunch of friends).

We have been addicted to watching similar shows over the summer like What Not To Wear and Faking It on BBC America. I guess you could say this is So Graham Norton meets What Not To Wear.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I though this show was really fun. What makes it so entertaining is that you get the feeling that the straight guys really want the help, and are taking the advice to heart. The "Fab 5" are not trying to change their target's fundamentals, they just want to polish them up.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
What sets this show apart from so many of the others is that, even when they're snarking, the Fab 5 have a good natured approach. Plus, there were a lot of very useful tips (i.e. working the hair gel in from the back). The one liners and quips were too funny. I know it's bad but when Carson (Fashion) said "Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you" I fell out of my chair laughing. I'll definitely watch this show again.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Loved IT! I am pretty tired of the reality show overload. I haven't bothered trying out the last few that came out of the major networks this year. I really thought that Bravo was selling out with their two new gay reality shows but this one is a winner.

I am glad I gave this one a try. The five are funny and they give some good tips on stuff most men never bother learning the proper way.

I get the biggest kick out of watching these straight men try to deal with their discomfort with the Fab 5, especially Carson. I love it when they jump if they get touched or get treated like a hot chick passing a construction site.:D

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> are there really that many straight guys who need help

They only need to find one guy per episode. I don't think they'll run out. :)

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
I get it! Sexual orientation determines non-sexual behavior!

Wait! I thought saying that got me in major trouble! I guess that was last week.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason...

I've seen one episode (the jewish guy with the unibrow), and that was great entertainment. The wife seemed underwhelmed though for some reason! Fun show.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
David, yes. All straight guys are completely clueless about everything. At least if tv's any indication.
Yup, and in the same vein, all gay guys are experts at cooking, cleaning, hair styles and grooming and clothing options. At least, that is the new message tv wants to send out.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
:rolleyes:And in the same vein, comedy should be non-offensive to all types of people. At least that is the message from our PC society.

Stereotypes in the media and society are nothing new. Might as well complain about death and taxes. Why can't they have their fun, especially when all the players are willing participants?

You can have a show with a Straight 5 but who would watch?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
even when they're snarking, the Fab 5 have a good natured approach.
that was my major selling point. even though they're campy, they're still sincere.

you really get a feeling that they want to help. you know deep down inside those guys are rolling their eyes (did you see the horror that was that jewish guy's home!) but they tackle it with ferver (sp?). that's really cool.

yeah, carson (?) is over the top, but i think he may be the funniest of them all. when they were going to buy the pearl necklace, wasn't his comment something like "everyone likes a pearl necklace!". :laugh:

let's not get into stereotypes here ... i've known some gay guys who could use some help from these gay guys.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I thought the show was great, the Fab 5 did have a good natured approach and want to help the guy out, but sadly some people are looking to much into this. It's funny, and you can learn some things. Some guys(The Blond guy) is a little over the top but it he is a funny guy and it works. "Just call me Patty Duke cause I am a miracle worker." Also, that Pearl Necklace comment was too funny. "Your bathroom would look like that if you just cleaned it once in awhile."

When the guy threw out some French saying you can see the Fab 5 jaws drop.

I also thought the wife was a little underwhelmed, did you see her taking a bite of the fuaguot(sp?) mouse and than wash it down with bubbly?

Obviously these guys are only gonna make-over the true slobs and not the guys that could use a little help here and there.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
fuaguot(sp?)
Foie Gras (fwah - grah) = Duck liver

The good stuff is usually sauteed, while the lesser grades are used in mousse. And yes, the reaction to the food was quite amusing. "They don't like my foie gras recipe?!?" That guy (food) seemed almost heartbroken.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i've had foie gras before, at some hoity-toity restaurant. it was pan seared, and covered in some sauce.

it was pretty freakin' good.

i think this stuff was different. i'm not sure i would have liked it whipped into a mousse either. but i would have done just like the wife....chug some wine and it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks