What's new

Can you plug into an outlet that's controlled by a lightswitch? (1 Viewer)

Jerry Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
I ask this because I have everything plugged into my AVS2000 and my AVS plugged into that outlet. I have the switch taped so nobody accidentally turns it off, but a friend was over yesterday and he said it damages the HT gear due to power fluctuations or something. My AVS doesn't show a line fault at all, but now he's got me all paranoid, and since I could not find anything on this subject after 4 hours of searching I thought I would make a thread. So is plugging my home theater gear into this type of outlet damaging or have the potential to damage my gear? TIA

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No, it would be allright. Just check if the switched outlet has a max. Ampere indication (or max. Watts). You should not exceed that, if it is present. I assume that you're talking about an on/off switch, not a variable one (I would strongly recommend against the latter).

And it would be a bad habit indeed to switch off everything by that switch (unless in case of an emergency, e.g. smoke or fire).

Cees

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I agree with Cees, but I do hope you have your equipment plugged into a surge protector. Most of today's HT equipment uses the same type of digital circuitry found in the desktop computer, and it's subject to the same risks from spikes and surges.

M.

Jerry Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
Michael-

I do have a surge protector (Monster HTS-5100) and it is plugged into my voltage stabilizer (AVS2000) which is plugged into this one outlet. Both read that the line is fine by the way.

Cees-

Now if my equipment were pulling too much juice from this one outlet the AVS2000 or HTS-5100 (plugged into the AVS) would just shut down right?

Also, the "switch" chooses between one of the 2 outlets. In the up position it switches to the top single outlet, and in the down position it switches to the bottom single outlet. Would this be a variable one? And if it is why would you not recommend it?

Thanks again for your help guy's.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jerry,

That sounds like a straight forward two-way switch. If your equipment would draw too much in total (for that switch), it would not necessarily lead to a shut down of your voltage stabilizer (because the stabilizer cannot "know" what the limitation of your switch is). The switch circuitry might get too hot.

But the good news is: that switch would seldom be a limitation. On the back it will probably say (if it says anything at all) something like "10 Amps" or more.

Cees

Gary Silverman

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry, Are you sure about the switch "choosing" between the top and the bottom of the receptacle? That would be very unusual. Normally, a switched receptacle would have one half switched and the other half hot all the time. Sometimes, a cheap electrician would switch the whole thing.I'm thinking that if it really seems to switch from top to bottom when you operate the switch,that someone accidently installed a 3-way switch instead of a single pole switch. Still, that wouldn't be a hazard, just an inconvenience, and easily corrected. If that's the case, you should replace the switch, and, correctly wired, you would have half of the recptacle hot all the time for your
AVS2000. You could get rid of the tape, AND your worries.

Jerry Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
Gary-

Yes, I'm positive. I have a Circuit and GFI tester (GFI-302A) that I used to test the outlets. You are right though, I need to get an electrician out here to make it hot 24/7 to put my mind at ease.
Cees-

Thanks so much for the info. I'll be getting an electrician out here by the end of the week to fix this.

Thanks for your responses guy's. :D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks