What's new

A really cool place to get blank CD/DVD cases for really cheap. (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I bookmarked US Plastic Corp. awhile back for plastic bottles, etc. and noticed that they also sell blank CD and DVD cases.

Take a look here and see what I mean.

Parker

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
If anyone wants cases by the dozens, I am in the process of converting a couple thousand DVDs from my collection to a caseless filing system. I have several large boxes of cases of every design --including hard-to-find snapper cases, which aren't sold separately--and have no idea what to do with them all. No artwork; just cases. Please contact me if you want to buy in bulk and are willing to pay half what US Plastic wants, plus shipping.

Or if you have any idea what I can do with them all, I'd appreciate the tip. Local recycling centers will be my next stop soon. Thanks.

Paul>Wh

Agent
I went to the San Diego Fry's and found they had them for quite a decent price. 10 for $5 I don't know the quality when compared to the others, but it seems like an alternative as well.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Randy:

Out of curiosity what type of caseless filing system are you going with? Or is this something that you are making yourself?

Paul:

What was that for? A single DVD or multiple DVDs?

Parker

Thane

Stunt Coordinator
Randy: I too am very curious about the specifics of your caseless filing system. My collection is approaching 2000 as well and space is about used up! Do tell...:)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I'm using a filing system suggested by SteveK in another thread. (Sorry, I haven't replied to your last email yet, Steve.) It relies on sleeves and storage boxes made by Univenture.

I bought the sleeves from Sleeve City, which had the best prices. The storage boxes that Univenture makes to hold the sleeves are not elegant, as Steve points out, but they are good looking and designed to fit the sleeves perfectly. I bought them directly from Univenture, which appears to be the sole seller.

I'm putting the boxes with sleeves in some nice-looking, but affordable wood-laminate lateral filing cabinets, which I bought from Office Depot. (I can't find the exact ones I bought now, but this model approximates the look, minus the handles.) I reinforced the bottom of each drawer with some leftover shelving from another project, because they're designed for hanging folders.

There's space in each drawer for filing folders with the original artwork. I'm keeping a small number of keepcases to reconstruct any disc into its usual form--mostly for double-dipped DVDs that I want to sell and replace with a new version. The rest of the keepcases are going out the door.

Everything is being filed alphabetically and tracked by DVD Profiler. Using three filing cabinets, I figure I'm able to store up to about 3,000 DVDs.

The rest of my collection is filed in normal keepcases in my 11-foot wide entertainment center, which has lots of shelf storage, and on permanent wall shelving. Both have reached capacity.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
what is the best price found for Double-AMARAY-the genuine thing?
also anyone know how to get hold of the 2-CD "Brilliant Boxes"-the kind with the hinge on the right side-that fold out. Bags Incorporated has simply extortionate prices...

Wade K

Second Unit
I've bought several hunderd THINpaks through U.S.Plastics and haven't been disappointed. Very good service all around.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Randy- I'm glad to hear you liked the idea of the Univenture sleeves that I suggested previously. Im surprised you were able to find a lower price than buying them directly from Univenture, but obviously you needed to buy a large quantity of sleeves and I'm sure you did a lot of price comparison before ordering the sleeves.

I now have roughly 250 DVDs, and they all fit in 3 of the Univenture boxes. I shudder to think how much room they would require if I kept them all in their original boxes! I like the idea of the sleeve better than a binder, as it is much easier to rearrange them to keep them in alphabetical order (or however you like to file them).

With the cabinets you describe, you obviously have a bit more elegant filing system than what I currently have. But since you have 10 times the number of DVD's I have, it's definitely worth finding something a bit more attractive. Once again, I'm glad you found my suggestion worthwhile...and I hope it saved your marriage! (I remember your half-facetious comment). Glad to hear they worked out for you.

Steve K.

P.S. If Randy runs out of cases, I still have mine available as well, just taking up space in several Rubbermaid containers. I've never tried to get rid of them just in case I ever decide to go back to using them, but I really don't see that happening, as my DVD collection continues to grow but my space to store them doesn't.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I like the univenture boxes, but what are the viewpaks and jewelpaks that come with them? And why buy the boxes and sleeves separately if you get a type of sleeve with the box? So how many of the safety sleeves (are you using those or the archival sleeves from sleeve city) can you fit in the box, Randy?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
So how many of the safety sleeves (are you using those or the archival sleeves from sleeve city) can you fit in the box, Randy?
I'm using archival sleeves, which have a double lining, for two-sided discs (to protect both sides) and to hold both discs of single-sided, two-disc sets. I'm using the regular safety sleeve for single-sided discs. Univenture says 70 discs will fit in one box, but I think 80 is doable. I haven't actually filled one box yet, because I've assigned each box a letter of the alphabet and haven't filled any one yet. This is a massive project to convert a few thousand discs, and it's taking forever working on it off and on.

By the time I'm done, I'll have about 2,000 DVDs still in their cases on shelves on the wall and in the entertainment center and a little more than 2,000 with no cases in the filing cabinets with room to grow--for the time being. Then I'll probably add another cabinet. And more sleeves. And more boxes.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
This is definitely for me

In a college dorm situation I have a safe installed in my room with a pair of binders holding all my dvds that I store in the safe.

But I really loath that they get out of order because I don't want to harm them by rearranging all the time, not to mention that for the double sided discs it really bugged me.

I couldn't find a place they were selling just the empty boxes, could you post a link to them?

Thanks, this is much better than simply adding another binder!

Adam

Rob T

Screenwriter
I was in Staples today and they are selling black and clear keep cases in sets of 5 for $6.86 CAN. It's kind of getting expensive but I got a set of black ones anyways.

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
A chap from Mo. sells me CD jewel cases for $.18, and DVD for $.25 when purchasing a case. In that he travels a wide area, I pick up when he's in Dayton, Oh. for a show, thereby eliminating any shipping cost. He can be contacted at [email protected].

Bob Engleman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks