What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends: Complete 1st Season (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends: Complete 1st Season

Studio: Sony/Classic Media
Year: 2003
Rated: G
Film Length: 610 minutes
Aspect Ratio: Standard (1.33:1)
Audio: English Mono, Spanish Mono
Subtitles: None

In 1959 General Mills agreed to sponsor the children’s television show Rocky and His Friends, which would debut on September 29th, 1959 and end on September 3rd, 1961 before switching networks and names. No matter what title you call it the show was recently voted one of the greatest cartoons in television history and nearly forty-five years after its debut, Rocky the flying squirrel and his moose companion Bullwinkle are still favorites amongst kids and adults. Sony and Classic Media are celebrating the show by releasing this four-disc set, Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends, which contains the first full season.

Jet Fuel Formula is the first storyline that our heroes face and it incredibly runs for forty episodes. Rocky and Bullwinkle discover an explosive rocket fuel that launches them to the moon where they encounter moon men and various other creatures. When the government learns of their adventures they appoint Bullwinkle Director of Guided Mooses and demand that he get the secret for this fuel. However, the fuel was destroyed in their original mission so the moose and squirrel must frantically find a way to make it. Spies Boris and Natasha eventually show up to try and steal the secret of the rocket fuel.

Box Top Robbery is the second storyline but this one here only lasts for twelve episodes. Anyone with a decent I.Q. knows that cereal box tops are what keep this countries economy going. The country is thrown into panic when the news breaks that there is a ring of counterfeit tops making the round. The World Economic Council makes the announcement that Bullwinkle J. Moose, founding father of the cereal box tops, is behind this counterfeit ring. Bullwinkle gets together with his friend Rocky to track down the real criminal who of course turns out to be Boris.

This is where I come clean and admit that I’m not a huge fan of this cartoon. I really hated this show as a kid and tried to stay as far away as I could but I was looking forward to this DVD to see if my opinion had changed over the years. After going through these episodes on season one I realized that my opinion hadn’t changed but I still had a fairly decent time with the series. I’m really not sure what it is but Rocky and Bullwinkle are two very entertaining characters but I still can’t get over how bad the series itself is.

Watching all these episodes back to back had me thinking about Edward D. Wood, Jr., the infamous horror director who made such classics as Glen or Glenda? and Plan 9 From Outer Space. These films are certainly far from true classics but at the same time they are highly entertaining due to the camp value and how over-the-top and insane the actual stories are. The same holds true for Rocky and Bullwinkle due to the insane stories mixed in with the obnoxious supporting characters. The series seems like a strange acid trip where anything and everything is possible and that’s usually what we get.

Note: I’m not an expert on this series but the liner notes brought up a few issues that the fans might be curious about. Tiffany Ward, daughter of Jay, wrote the following: We’ve brought all the episodes together under one name, using the rare second-season opening (Dad’s favorite), beautifully restored the original prints, and replaced the music as Dad later requested, with themes he specifically produced for the first two seasons. All the episodes are under the title The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends.

VIDEO: The episodes are all shown full frame, which is the correct aspect ratio. Having never seen this first season on previous releases this here was my first viewing so I’ve got nothing to compare it to. I flipped through a few episodes on television and what I saw there is pretty much what’s on the disc. The colors are pretty strong in the animation area but there are still several minor problems. Several of the episodes appear a little too dirty and white speckles pop up throughout the episodes. There are a few scratches as well but the picture quality is pretty steady throughout each episode.

AUDIO--- The sound is Dolby Digital Mono and is rather disappointing as well. The way the series was recorded is probably the biggest problem but there’s still nothing here that separates this from what we’ve heard on regular television. The dialogue is a bit too low and there are various moments where I had to turn the volume up just to make out what the characters were saying.

EXTRAS--- Dear Bullwinkle: features Bullwinkle the puppet reading letters from fans Up next is a promo section, which features bumpers which were used to promote the first season. Rocky and Bullwinkle Saving Stamp Club is a complete episode, which was actually made as a promo for the Saving Stamp Club. Here the boys tell us what stamps are and how to use them while battling various villains. The Many Faces of Boris Badenov is another promo that shows various clips of Boris in different outfits trying to outwit the squirrel and moose. We also get some brief clips of Season 2, which is planned for a 2004 release. Finally we get a small booklet with an introduction by Tiffany Ward and a look at the two storylines and those involved in the production.

OVERALL---I’m certainly not a fan of this series but of course I’m not the one this DVD is targeted to. If you enjoy the various adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle then there’s no reason not to add this to your collection. With the retail price of $39.95 this set will surely make the fans happy. I had never seen any of the first season before but compared to various episodes I’ve seen on television, the image and audio quality really doesn’t appear any better or worse. The extras on the other hand were highly entertaining, more so than the actual show in my opinion.

Release Date: August 12, 2003

Kevin_Lodge

Stunt Coordinator
Can you tell us if there are any other cartoon shorts on the set besides Rocky and Bullwinkle??

I believe the series also featured shorts with:
* Fractured Fairy Tales
* Mr. Peabody and Sherman
* Dudley Do-Right

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Good day and Welcome to the reviewer's table!

An interesting choice to start with... and well put together.

The only time I ever enjoyed this series was waking up in a ski chalet with 11 others after a late/early competition of embibing in "sodas". I finally realized the humor was targeting adults (whether intentional or not).

That said, there is nothing here for me that remotely wants to rent this, let alone purchase it. Your review completely confirms that there are better ways to entertain ourselves.

Thanks again!

;)

Blu

Screenwriter
I know I shouldn't but I assumed that when it said Complete First Season meant that the shorts were included.
Now I am hoping that is correct.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Can you tell us if there are any other cartoon shorts on the set besides Rocky and Bullwinkle??
The only shorts included are those in the two storylines. Peabody and Sherman are included in some of the episodes however but I don't recall any of their own shorts. I only watched around 25 episodes however. If you know where their shorts should be just let me know and I'll check the disc again.

Or if you like, I could go back and take more direct notes on which episodes they are in.

Kevin_Lodge

Stunt Coordinator
I always thought that each episode had 2 or 3 rocky and bullwinkle cartoons (each part of a big story) with a few other cartoons thown in to fill the half hour.

I could be wrong, but I can't see that the 10 hour running time would cover just two story arcs (unless they each run a total of 5-6 hours).

If you could check some of the episodes and post reply here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Any Fractured Fairy Tales that you saw, Michael?

And a general question about the set: any chapter stops in the episodes? Thanks, and good first review. :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I went through the first two discs again and the bonus shorts are there. Here's an example:

Jet Fuel Formula: Episode 1
--Fractured Fairy Tales: Rapunzel
--Bullwinkle's Corner: The Swing
--Peabody's Improbable History: Ben Franklin

Jet Fuel Formula: E2
Jet Fuel Formula: E3
--Fractured Fairy Tales: Puss In Boots
--Bullwinkle's Corner: Little Miss Muffet
--Peabody's Improbable History: Napolean

Jet Fuel Formula: E4

All the odd episodes feature the bonus shorts and each one does have chapter stops where you can jump directly to the short you want. The menu screen also gives you the option of jumping to a short.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Good job with that review Michael. I'm looking forward to what you have next!

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
Okay,but shouldn't at least one episode be watched completely if you're going to review it?Thats all it would take to know how the show was set up.Personally,I agree,I never cared much for the Rocky parts,but Peabody and fractured fairy tails were inspired.From the orig.review you would not even know they were there.

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed reading your first review for HTF, Michael, which is as far removed from the stuff you used to review on the “DVD Maniacs” website and Forum as it can get! I used to watch the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons as a kid and remember liking them for what they were. I’m sure I’d find them silly and unbearably childish, though, if I were to watch them again today; so your negative impression of the set as a whole is quite understandable.

Actually, I’m glad you were given Artisan’s product to review: although the quality of their DVD transfers is often questionable, they've put out some great titles for a very affordable price - TOPPER (1937)/TOPPER RETURNS (1941), CLOAK AND DAGGER (1946), A DOUBLE LIFE (1947), PURSUED (1947), etc. I am looking forward, then, to what you’ll have to say about their upcoming Laurel & Hardy disc next month!

P.S. I’m NOT surprised, however, that you weren’t given the Warner DVDs to review :)!

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Each to their own, but I can't imagine anyone not finding these programs hilarious. My preorder is in.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gents,

The ARTISAN connection was my mistake.

I received a screener copy and it came in
the packaging that ARTISAN usually sends out.

I have updated the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks