Photo

Two versions of LOTR, buy both keep both?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 01:12 PM

Hi all...

Here is my question. Do you guys usually get the theatrical release and then the extended platnuim release too?

I am just curious, I sold my orginal Fellowship disk when I bought the extended version and was wondering if you guys keep both versions, or what your opinion on the matter is...

Thanks
R~
My DVD Collection

#2 of 68 Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, Canada

Posted July 18 2003 - 01:19 PM

I bought both FOTR and kept both. I intend to do the same for TTT as well as ROTK.
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#3 of 68 Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 01:23 PM

Exactly like Richard: I bought both and kept both.

- I want keep the theatrical movie, and the bonus of the first release. It's the movie I've seen on theater ans I loved.

- And I need to have the extended edition with the new bonus features Posted Image

#4 of 68 Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 02:00 PM

I think I'll just rent the theatrical cut of TTT to tide me over and then purchase the Extended Edition. I know I'll never watch the theatrical cut again after I have the EE in my hands.

I made that mistake with FOTR and don't intend on duplicating it.

#5 of 68 Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 02:08 PM

I have both, as I prefer the theatrical cut over the EE, some of the extra scenes drag on and I feel are unnecessary (like the added Shire scenes). Also the EE version of the Fellowship entering Lothlorien is poorly edited (turns from day to night to day too quickly, also the characters' costumes change for some reason). I also plan to get both the theatrical and EE versions of the other 2 films as well.

#6 of 68 Terry Flink

Terry Flink

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 02:27 PM

I bought both versions of FOTR knowing I would "pass on" the theatrical version to a friend who is not interested in the bonus material or additional scenes. I plan on repeating this with TTT and ROTK as well.

#7 of 68 david*mt

david*mt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 02:25 PM

I bought the theatrical cut and later traded it when the EE came out. I will only buy the EE of TTT and the ROTK. In addition to the great extras and extra footage, the EE also has a killer DTS track and slightly better video.

#8 of 68 Dave H

Dave H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 02:44 PM

I prefer to watch the extended version and prefer the slightly increased video/audio quality along with it.

#9 of 68 PaulP

PaulP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 02:50 PM

I like having all available extras.

#10 of 68 Mike Mundt

Mike Mundt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 03:21 PM

If your a hardcore fan, you'll have both. The extras on the two discs are different. If your not that big of a you'll probably sell one of the two or only buy one version. I think its just a matter of how much you like the movie. For me I feel Lord of the Rings is one of the most well acted, sounding, visual, and edited movies ive ever seen. So ill buy and keep both along with other version that may come out years later.

#11 of 68 David Williams

David Williams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 03:42 PM

As Mike and Paul said, the extras are different on both sets so I have/will purchased both with the intention of only watching the extended version of the film.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#12 of 68 Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 04:10 PM

Quote:
I think its just a matter of how much you like the movie.

I don't believe I need to profess my love for a movie by purchasing every version released. I loved TTT but I can't see the sense in having a version I'd never watch again. For that matter, I can't see them ever improving on these 4-disc sets, which are so comprehensive!

I'm not purchasing the 2-disc versions anymore because the extras on the 2-disc FOTR set were cursory, made-for-tv pieces without much depth to them. The only extra that is worthwhile having from the 2-disc set are the trailers.

I'll gladly rent the 2-disc version of TTT on the 26th to enjoy the theatrical cut one last time and to see the 10-minute ROTK preview. Posted Image

#13 of 68 Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 05:20 PM

EE all the way! Better packaging, awesome commentaries, better EVERYTHING!!!
My favorites:

#14 of 68 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 05:46 PM

I've had the Academy screener DVD of TTT since February and I'm buying the theatrical DVD in August and the EE in November. I'm keeping them all.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#15 of 68 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 06:46 PM

I'm also buying and keeping both, just like FotR.
My Collection

#16 of 68 Rob T

Rob T

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 06:51 PM

Quote:
I think I'll just rent the theatrical cut of TTT to tide me over and then purchase the Extended Edition. I know I'll never watch the theatrical cut again after I have the EE in my hands.

Same goes for me. Posted Image

#17 of 68 Frank L

Frank L

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 08:46 PM

I kept both since, in effect, they're two different versions of the movie. The theatrical and the extended versions differ from each other considerably, and the only way to go appreciate them both is to keep them both. Plus, the theatrical version is the only one with the trailers for example.

F
Frank

#18 of 68 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 11:32 PM

I had never heard of LOTR before hype of the movies release came about. I saw it and fell in love. I own the 2-disc and EE of FOTR, will own both for TTT and ROTK too. If Peter Jackson does an "ultimate" release at the end, and re-edits all three films together for one long continuous epic, I'll buy that too. I don't buy the gift sets though.
Kyle McKnight

#19 of 68 Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 11:50 PM

The Extended Edition only for me. That said, I have both versions of FOTR, but only because I got the Theatrical Version for free, via the Blockbuster card deal. But I am actually thinking of trading that for something else now.

#20 of 68 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• PipPipPip
  • 14,086 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 19 2003 - 12:12 AM

I'm a huge fan, I have to have both. I know it's almost impossible to watch the theatrical version again after you've seen the extended edition, but still it's a fantastic souvenir of the film I saw and loved at the cinema.

So fanboyism, completism and nostalgism wins out!Posted Image Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow