What's new

Help me watch the Terminator films (1 Viewer)

Todd K

Second Unit
Hello fellow HTFers:

To start off, I'll admit that I've never seen a Terminator movie. I've decided to watch the first two on DVD. I want to make sure I'm watching the correct versions when I do so. At this point, I am not so much interested in supplements as I am in watching as much footage (deleted or not) from both films.

For the first movie, I assume this is really my only choice:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...740100-4039123

This appears to have the theatrical release along with a smattering of deleted scenes. Are these cut scenes the only ones that have been released to the public?

Now for the second movie, I realize that I have to choose between the Extreme edition and the Ultimate edition. I'm leaning towards the Ultimate edition, since it seems to feature the longest possible cut of the film as one of its three versions. Am I correct in thiking that this longest version is the same as the other two, just with extra scenes thrown in? Or are there other differences between the cuts that just extra scenes? I have heard that the longest version has some kind of alternate ending; does this mean it just has more ending tacked on to the director's cut, or is the original ending removed and replaced?

Well, those are my questions in a nutshell. Basically, after I'm done viewing these, I would like to have seen all the footage available.

Thanks,
Todd

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
If this edition of T1 is the same as the R2 edition, then yes, it's the correct choice.

With regard to T2, I'd advise watching the original theatrical edition first and *then* watch the Ultimate edition. The alternative ending splits people - suffice to say it doesn't alter the substance of the movie, and some people see it as silly whilst others think it's interesting. The other extra scenes largely flesh out what you've seen rather than add anything of dramatic worth. Also, don't watch any of the extras until you've seen both movies. If I recall correctly, there are some spoilers.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I agree, re: T2... watch the theatrical edition first. The extended and special extetended editions are NOT director's cuts... the scenes were cut for reasons of pacing and tone.

The added scenes in the extended edition do give some more background, but they also make the second act drag. The coda on the special extended cut is not nearly as coherent as the standard end, even though they say essentially the same thing. The scenes are nice to see in context, but should not be viewed initially, IMO. The theatrical edition is the preferred cut. James Cameron would agree... and says as much in some of the interviews.

-Scott

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Also it's important to note that the third version of T2 was the alternate ending was nullified by T3. Unless the novelization had a totally differend ending then the movie, which is certainly possible, but otherwise the original ending is the "canon" one.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Yeah, what they said.

I even think the pacing of the theatrical version is too slow in some spots, so I would certainly steer clear of the extended version. You can always watch the longer version later, though; some of the additional scenes are certainly interesting.

Todd K

Second Unit
Thanks folks.

If I watch the theatrical version of T2 first, will I be able to find the extra scenes easily without watching the entire special edition?

Also, I'm still a little vague on the difference between the special extended version and the everything version -- is the difference in just the ending?

Todd

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Pretty much. I believe the ultimate edition has the alternate ending as well as one additional scene inserted into the movie. Frankly, I'll muddy the waters by saying I prefer the special edition. I like the added scenes.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

This is the one "extended edition" of Cameron's films that I think completely benefits from the additions. I think Cameron's too close to T2 and can't see that the added scenes, particularly the first I mentioned, are needed. IMHO, of course. :b

Might as well go ahead and watch the orig. theatrical cut first though, and the extended second. It's the way prolly' most have seen T2.

I'm envious--wish I could watch these again for the first time!

KyleK

Second Unit
T2: Ultimate Edition
Theatrical Edition
Special Edition - Longer cut w/ theatrical ending
Easter Egg Extended Cut (Title 3) - Even longer cut w/ original ending

Abundant extras, but the commentary is just interviews spliced together.

T2: Extreme Edition
Special Edition
Easter Egg Theatrical Cut

Features James Cameron's first real commentary, an excellent doc on the evolution of digital effects and an HD version of the theatrical cut.

You really can't go wrong with either one, but to have the 'full set' you gotta get both!

Kyle:D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Jim, that's exactly the scene that makes me prefer the special edition. I think that was necessary information.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Todd K:

The Ultimate Edition has more extras than the Extreme Edition, but has pretty bad edge enhancement. The Extreme Edition has much better video quality.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Yeah, Greg, I think it plays much better with this scene.

Cameron said in the new commentary that the audience realizes the T800 is a learning machine and can slowly acquire human traits. But I always felt, before I even knew this scene existed, that his learning was too abrupt; that it seem to start at a specific point for no real reason. Now I know why it seemed to start at a specific point!

Great commentary on the new disc, BTW. Really feel like you get into Cameron's head (no pun intended...!)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I love the scene in question, too... however, it made an already dragging second act drag even more. It's a common problem in Cameron's films (see True Lies... second act is extremely off-track... but I still like the movie. Much as I hate to admit it, they should have cut the whole sub-plot involving Curtis' "affair").

It's a great scene in T2, but I agree with Cameron's reason for cutting it. That's what Special Edition DVDs are all about... they let us see these wonderful scenes that had to be cut... for whatever reason.

The Theatrical version is the one preferred by the director in this case... but he wanted fans to see the longer version, as well... on the DVD.

I still recommend the Theatrical cut for first viewing. It shouldn't be hard to find the added chapters and watch them later.

-Scott

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Make sure you watch T1 in Mono, as the new 5.1 sound effects are quite different than the original theatrical experience.

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
I disagree, I like the 5.1 sound of The Terminator, and since they've never seen it, they aren't missing anything by skipping the mono sound.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Which ending does the EXTREME EDITION HAVE? Can someone post the differences in the various endings, in spoiler tags of course?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
So, from what you have said Jim, the EXTREME EDITION sans the coda is better, as it fits in better with T3, (which I haven't seen yet). Oh also, I didn't realize both UE and EE had both versions fo the movie. I think I'm gonna get the EE then, and probably watch the Extended Version, whenever I watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks