What's new

Very bad color banding when watching DVD (1 Viewer)

Alfred Seet

Auditioning

I was watching Futurama on DVD and noticed exceptionally bad color banding in areas of color gradients (such as the sky). See picture above as an example. Instead of a smooth blend of colors, I got distinct bands of colors.

I'm using a Philips Q50 DVD player, Pixel Plus TV, and Monster Component Video cables. Is this a problem with my TV, player, cables or is it the source material? Can I change any settings on my dvd player or TV to reduce this banding effect?

Alfred Seet

Auditioning
I used a digital camera to take screenshots, do forgive the quality. The color banding is quite obvious, look at the walls and ceiling. I tried adjusting contrast and brightness, doesn't have any effect.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I am guessing that it is either a deficiency of the DVD player (el cheapo?) or the source material (do you see it on all movies?)

Banding suggests that the digital circuits are not using enough bits. If I remember correctly, DVD is encoded with 256 levels for each of Y, Pb, and Pr. This means 8 bits are needed for each.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

David Watt

Auditioning
Encountered something like that with my Eagles DVD. It is encoded in NTSC but my player is set, by default, to PAL.

I set the player to "auto" and the picture comes out great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks