Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why are Americans so stubborn about $1 coins?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#1 of 91 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:29 AM

After just spending 5 weeks in Europe, I can't help but wonder why Amercians are so damned stubborn about accepting $1 coins. I found it to be so much more conveient using the 1 and 2 Euro/Pound coins over paper bills. Especially in vending machines. Ever try to stuff a dollar bill into a vending machine? In my experience it only works about 50% of the time. Overall I preferred pulling a coin out of my pocket for simple things like newspapers and Coca-Cola as opposed to pulling out my wallet.

I've seen Americans get violently upset when they've been given a dollar coin as change. I once saw someone kick the shit out of a stamp vending machine at the post office because he got 4 dollar coins in change.

Maybe there is a reason that I'm just overlooking, but the resistance just seems silly to me. What do you guys up in Canada use for $1?

Jeff

#2 of 91 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:34 AM

We have one and two dollar coins, no paper.

#3 of 91 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:41 AM

Australia has both $1 and $2 coins and of course it logically follows that the larger (in diameter) coin is the $1 denomination.

Flying across the Tasman you will find that the larger coin in New Zealand is the $2 coin.
¡Time is not my master!

#4 of 91 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,682 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:42 AM

Probably the weight and bulkiness is one of the problems. Ten $1 bills fold up nicely in your pocket or wallet. Ten $1 coins are a heavy mass bumping your leg everytime you take a step.

I don't like to carry loose change, period. It all goes into a jar on the nightstand to be sorted a couple times a year, rolled, and changed into more paper money at the bank. Posted Image

Not to mention the US Treasury screwed up from the very start when they made the first $1 coin look exactly like a Quarter.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 91 OFFLINE   Shane Bos

Shane Bos

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:43 AM

The bonus to having $1 and $2 coins is that when you empty your pockets of change into that jar on the night stand and eventually when you get around to rolling it you have way more money than you thought you did. Also alot easier to find enough money in hte ashtray for a quick burger.

#6 of 91 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:49 AM

But strippers all across America would revolt if dollar bills were replaced by coins...
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#7 of 91 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:47 AM

i'm like malcolm. i hate carrying change in my pockets. it all goes in my coin jar. (i just recently cashed out about 60.00 in change)

if i had to carry all those flippin $1 coins in my pocket i'd go bonkers.

#8 of 91 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:51 AM

boy patrick - i'm not even gonna touch that one... Posted Image

#9 of 91 OFFLINE   Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:53 AM

Been to New Zealand...I'm trying to remember what the coins look like, and if I took any back with me.

I know this is kinda off topic, but their bills are the most amazing ones, and possibly most counterfeit proof, I've seen. The bills have transparent plastic parts, with what looks like an engraving or watermark on he plastic of some person (can't remember who). Those have gotta be hard to fake.

Back on topic, Canada has both $1 and $2 denominations, called Loonies, and Toonies, respectively. The Toonie is the largest coin, and is Silver with a Gold center. The Loonie is all Gold (not real, I'm sure).

Tho it is convenient, with the removal of the $2 bill a couple years ago, the Toonie really does add more weight to your pocket.

#10 of 91 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:54 AM

As someone who has spent considerable time in coin happy Europe, I am very, very glad that we are sticking to our $1 bills. Much more convenient to carry and much less likely to get lost.

Vending machines: for sums above $1 they should accept credit cards. Problem solved.

I hate loose change. The best time I had was during a visit to Bulgaria in the early '90s, when inflation had made all coins completely worthless, thus there were no coins in circulation whatsoever -- bills only. I totally loved it.

Long live our old-fashioned stubbornness -- in this case, anyway.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#11 of 91 OFFLINE   Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 09:00 AM

I prefer the coins, for the most part. Sure, i don't go walking around with lots of coins in my pockets, but also wonder about the "$10 change is inconvenient, but paper isn't" argument. Hell, if I have $10 cash, its either in fives, a ten, or half a twenty. Posted Image

That being said, Canada has a great debit card network (an advantage to having national banks) and between that and my AMEX/VISA I rarely use cash. Usually have just enough cash for the 6/49 and Super-7

"Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it."

#12 of 91 OFFLINE   Joel Mack

Joel Mack

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:59 AM

Quote:
But strippers all across America would revolt if dollar bills were replaced by coins...

My thoughts exactly.

#13 of 91 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,876 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 17 2003 - 09:08 AM

"You don't think I'd go into combat with loose change in my pockets, do you?" - Col. Bat Guano
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#14 of 91 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 09:16 AM

Quote:
Ever try to stuff a dollar bill into a vending machine? In my experience it only works about 50% of the time.
Huh, I almost never have a problem unless the bill is fairly beat up. And since I keep the things in my wallet rather than crumpled up in my pocket, that doesn't happen too often.

Honestly, I just don't see $1 coins often enough to have much opinion one way or the other on them. I wouldn't mind them, especially if more vending machines took them, but I don't necessarily think they'd be more convenient - given the choice between rooting around in my pocket which contains keys, coins, gum, pens, slips of paper with notes or directions or other information on them, any business cards I may have accumulated during the day, etc., or getting a couple singles from my wallet... I'll go for the latter.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#15 of 91 OFFLINE   Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 09:21 AM

I never liked the buggers, but I'm coming around. We have a local theater that always gives dollar coins as change, and of course the Post Office (I also say I guy about kick the shit out the machine when it would not accept the coins back to purchase more stamps!). I also liked using them in Canada, and am getting more confident using them in U.S. Initially, I was afraid that I would have to explain to merchants that it was really money. You kind of hold it out opened handed like foreign money, as if saying "Is this okay?" But I am starting to hand them over with confidence. I think it might actually take this time. The old excuses just don't hold true (it used to be reluctance at the size of the Kennedy, the politics of the Susan B., the similarity to the quarter, the hostility of merchants who did not have an extra tray in their change drawer). The gold coin also looks really cool--makes me feel like Harry Potter to have one in my pocket.

#16 of 91 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 09:27 AM

Not to mention the US Treasury screwed up from the very start when they made the first $1 coin look exactly like a Quarter.

That's my main beef with the $1 coins, otherwise I'm one of those people that prefer coins to bills (must be my Swedish heritage Posted Image). A vending machine I use as lot dispenses $1 coins in change and I often make it a point to pay with a $5 just so I can get coins back. Posted Image

They're more durable and easier to use, that's why I like them by the way, plus it just "feels better".

The gold coin also looks really cool--makes me feel like Harry Potter to have one in my pocket.

Hehe, you got it!
/Mike

#17 of 91 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 09:31 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I just don't see $1 coins often enough to have much opinion one way or the other on them.
A few months ago I got one back as change and I thought "what the hell is this?" That's the only time I remember ever seeing one.

But I have formed an opinion - gimme paper.

#18 of 91 OFFLINE   Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter

• 1,709 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 09:38 AM

Quote:
Vending machines: for sums above $1 they should accept credit cards. Problem solved.

Well, except that suddenly the vending machine has to be connected to a phone line at all times and also everything is at least 5% more expensive to cover transaction fees and monthly charges from the different card companies. Also, the card companies hate small amounts and penalize retailers whose average ticket size is small, so chances are the cost to the vending machine operators would be higher than the 2-3% that the average retailer pays.

Oh, and I forgot about the cost of the phone line. That'd cost extra, too.

I like the $1 and $2 coins. Yes, they make my wallet fatter. They're also very easy to identify because of size, shape, colour and edging. I find them simple to deal with, and according to our government we save a bunch of money every year, since singles and doubles are the bills that wear out fastest.

#19 of 91 OFFLINE   Jason_H

Jason_H

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 09:58 AM

I have been to Australia a few times, and I really liked the $1 and $2 coins. Much more convenient, IMHO. But what I REALLY liked is that tax is included in every price that you see AND all prices are rounded to the neared 0.05. No friggin' pennies! It just makes sense.

#20 of 91 OFFLINE   TylerN

TylerN

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 10:04 AM

Just in case the non-Canadians are wondering, here's what the loonie looks like:

Posted Image

And the toonie:

Posted Image

The toonie is a physically a bit larger than the loonie.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow