What's new

Finally: The Fly (1986) and The Fly II (1989) Special Editions are coming in Fall of 2005! (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
peter staddon made the annoucement in the feedback to the studio: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=1

its at the bottom on page 2.. this a awesome news.. now if I could only get the se for conan the destroyer (from universal) I would be happy..

I would like to see the famous deleted scenes, and behind the scenes interviews, commentaries, etc on the dvd.. I hope that dvd producer Van Ling can make the dvd..
here is address for an awesome site about the 5 fly movies:http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/zelazny/119/
they talk about the famous deleted scenes, and the alternate ending.
JACOB

comments anyone?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Its about damn time! This classic, along with EVERY other film Cronenberg has ever made that doesn't have a SE already, is long overdue for SE treatment.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would like to see a brand new interview with cast and crew about the movie.. like they did with total recall and Terminator 1. behind the scenes stuff on the special effects, commentary by cronenberg, goldblum, and g. davis. deleted scenes, trailers, etc

JACOB

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the majority hates the fly 2.. but there is a small group that does like it.

the real question.. would director david cronenberg want to put the deleted footage back into the movie or have the deleted scenes separate..

maybe they can have an easter egg of the fly 2 on the dvd?
JACOB

Greg K

Second Unit
I would think the deleted scenes will be separate. As long as we see them at *all*, it's cool, right?

I'm quite giddy at the moment. Wow.

Anyway, although Fly II is a rather poor film, I find it's one of those bad movies that are actually fun to watch and pick apart. Also, it has cool effects, and many references to the first film (and part of a deleted scene from that film, as well).

The Fly II would make a good SE too. Chris Walas commentary would be a must, as would behind-the-scenes info, and the few deleted scenes (the most interesting one involves Martin vomiting corrosive enzymes on the windshield of a car full of teens heckling him). I'd snap up a Fly II SE, you bet!

Greg K

Second Unit
Yeah, once the 1986 version gets the SE treament, the original would also be a good candidate.

Problem is, director Kurt Neumann is dead, as is Vincent Price.

The 2000 AMC documentary The Fly Papers discussed all 5 films, and had interviews with David Hedison and other Fly 58 survivors (as well as Chris Walas, who could do a great Fly II commentary, I think).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I guess I may be in the minority, but of the 4 Fly films I've seen (never even knew there was sort of a fifth), I think Cronenberg's Fly is the best and the original a close second, so I'd rather see these two together, if anything. I mean, it's the original that is related to Cronenberg's, Fly II has nothing to do with his film. I think the other two common Fly versions are already adequately represented...

GregK

Screenwriter
Congrats on the announcement Greg K!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: I know you have been pushing for an SE of this one for some time now. ..As for myself, I'm still holding out for the "Escape from New York" SE.

(The "other" GregK)

Greg K

Second Unit
Yeah, I was just watching Carpenter's The Thing CE last night. That's a great DVD, especially the "Terror Takes Shape" documentary. We can only hope The Fly gets similar (better) treatment.

Greg K

Second Unit
Indeed. I can only hope the deleted scenes, rare photos, etc. have not deteriorated or been lost over the years.

Let's hope for the best.

Greg K

Second Unit
I have a slightly revised version of Charles Edward Pogue's script, and a Cronenberg draft. Including both of these (as DVD-ROM extras, perhaps?) would be a good way to show how the script evolved. There are many common elements, but you can see where Cronenberg's stuff makes things better.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I definitely will get the SE of The Fly and get
rid of my double feature disc. I don't like The
Fly 2 at all. I hope commentary or interviews with
Goldblum is included with the SE. :D

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I also have both the early draft and the final version of the fly scripts. the early draft had some elements that was later used in the fly 2.. the whole part about the ceo company boss being the villain and the hero killing the other people that were the enemies, like in the fly 2. It was a much longer movie..the early version was set in the 50s where the scientist was married. Cronenberg did a great job updating it for the 80s.

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks