Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2003 Emmy Primetime Nominations

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 ONLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,122 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 01:02 AM

Six Feet Under leads the way with 16 nominations. Law and Order missed out on their 12th consecutive nomination for a drama, which would have been a record. DRAMA: CSI Six Feet Under Sopranos 24 The West Wing Lead Actress Drama Series: Frances Conroy - Six Feet Under Edie Falco - Sopranos Jennifer Garner - Alias Marg Helgenberger - CSI Allison Janney - The West Wing Lead Actor Drama Series: James Gandolfini - Sopranos Peter Krause - Six Feet Under Martin Sheen - The West Wing Kiefer Sutherland - 24 Michael Chiklis - The Shield Comedy Series: Curb Your Enthusiasm Everybody Loves Raymond Friends Sex & The City Will & Grace Lead Actor Comedy Series: Larry David - Curb Your Enthusiam Matt Leblanc - Friends Bernie Mac - Bernie Mac Show Eric McCormack - Will & Grace Ray Romano - Everybody Loves Raymond Tony Shalhoub - Monk (name corrected) Lead Actress Comedy: Jennifer Aniston - Friends Patricia Heaton - Eveybody Loves Raymond Debra Messing Will & Grace Sarah Jessica Parker - Sex & The City Jane Kaczmarek - Malcolm in the Middle Reality Competition Program: The Amazing Race American Idol Survivor
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Brad Porter

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

• 1,757 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 01:36 AM

[quote] Tony Shalhose - Monk [quote]
Unless you're making a strange editorial comment, that should be "Tony Shalhoub".

Three comments:

1. Did they just repeat last year's nominations in the major categories(with the exception of Law & Order)?

2. Has Allison Janney been considered a lead character in the past or did she ascend to that position when Rob Lowe left?

3. CCH Pounder, Gilmore Girls, Bonnie Hunt - all robbed!

Here's the supporting actor nods:

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series

Everybody Loves Raymond - Peter Boyle as Frank Barone
Everybody Loves Raymond - Brad Garrett as Robert Barone
Frasier - John Mahoney as Martin Crane
Frasier - David Hyde Pierce as Niles Crane
Malcolm In The Middle - Bryan Cranston as Hal
Will & Grace - Sean Hayes as Jack

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series

Alias - Victor Garber as Agent Jack Bristow
The Sopranos - Michael Imperioli as Christopher Moltisanti
The Sopranos - Joe Pantoliano as Ralph Cifaretto
The West Wing - Bradley Whitford as Josh Lyman
The West Wing - John Spencer as Leo McGarry

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Cheryl Hines as Cheryl David
Everybody Loves Raymond - Doris Roberts as Marie Barone
Sex And The City - Cynthia Nixon as Miranda Hobbes
Sex And The City - Kim Cattrall as Samantha Jones
Will & Grace - Megan Mullally as Karen

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series

Alias - Lena Olin as Irina Derevko/Laura Bristow
Judging Amy - Tyne Daly as Maxine Gray
Six Feet Under - Lauren Ambrose as Claire Fisher
Six Feet Under - Rachel Griffiths as Brenda Chenowith
The West Wing - Stockard Channing as Abigail Bartlet

Brad
We apologise for the unnecessary truncation and lack of formatting control in the signature. Those responsible should be sacked.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

#3 of 18 ONLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,122 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 01:54 AM

Sorry about the Shaloub typo - that's what I get for cutting-n-pasting too swiftly with little in terms of proof-reading.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 02:22 AM

D/loaded the nominations from the Emmy site. That must be one heck of a long ceremony!

It seems like the nominations panel had a small pile of tapes to sift through - the same shows kept popping up again and again.

BTVS got one, I noticed; that's probably more than it deserved. OTOH Farscape got none, which is far less than it deserved. You don't expect genre shows to ever get the writing/acting/direction nods they deserve, but in such areas as make-up and special effects, Farscape is surely at least as good as Enterprise.

Are these nominations based on popularity alone? Beats me how Matthew Perry got nominated for his performance in The West Wing otherwise...[/Friends snipe]

[quote] Has Allison Janney been considered a lead character in the past or did she ascend to that position when Rob Lowe left? [quote]
Lead actress? I don't think Rob Lowe's departure made any difference. Posted Image Janney is the shining light in TWW. It's really an ensemble show, but if I was going to pick leading characters, it'd be her and Sheen.

Oh, and didn't Alias do well! But c'mon, Garber over Rifkin? Ha!

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 02:24 AM

Glad to see Shalhoub get some attention.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,234 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 17 2003 - 05:08 AM

If there is any justice, Edie Falco will win Best Actress Drama for The Sopranos. Her performance in the final episode of the season is reason enough and was one of the best I have ever seen.

Amazing!
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,325 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 05:43 AM

I'm just really happy for 24 getting Best Drama and Lead Actor nominations.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 06:04 AM

It does seem like the Emmys nominate the exact same shows every year. At least they gave some love to Curb Your Enthusiasm and Alias. Frankly, I would've preferred seeing Alias get nominated for Best Drama Series over 24. The former had a much better 2nd season IMO. I'd normally be pissed about Buffy getting only one nod(and in the FX category at that), but honestly, its final year was also its worst ever. Now Angel on the other hand got royally screwed. Ok, I know it's a pipe dream to ever think that the Emmy voters would nominate it in the major categories, even though it deserved it. But hell, you'd think it would've gotten something! How about the brilliant fight scene choreography in nearly every episode(Gunn vs. the bodyguards in "Players" being the standout)? What about Best Makeup for the Beast? Best FX? Then again, I'm starting to wonder if it's not really the Emmys at fault but rather the WB. Not only did Angel get the shaft, but so did Gilmore Girls and Smallville. Does that network do anything to promote their shows?
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   KerryK

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 06:36 AM

I'm disappointed that Dennis Haysbert wasn't nominated. But I don't know I'd remove to make room for him!

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Travis_S

Travis_S

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:34 AM

I was hoping Xander Berkeley would get a nod from 24, but oh well.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 10:58 AM

I was hoping that NYPD Blue would have gotten at least one nomination. I know the show has received numerous nominations in the past and just figured the show still has what it takes to win a nomination. I still say it's one of the top 5 drama series on tv.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Brad Porter

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

• 1,757 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 12:48 PM

After some brief reflection at work today, I need to add to my third comment in my post above...

The Wire got robbed!

Ahhh, that feels better.

How many original episodes of Sex and the City aired last year anyway?

[quote] (Regarding The West Wing) It's really an ensemble show, but if I was going to pick leading characters, it'd be her and Sheen. [quote]

Now that I've looked it up, she did win in the lead actress category last year. I guess with an ensemble show you can pick any regular cast member and call them a lead.

Answering my own first question,

Drama series: The Sopranos takes the spot held by Law & Order

The comedy series nominations are identical.

Comedy lead actor: Kelsey Grammer and Matthew Perry are out, Larry David, Eric McCormack and Tony Shalhoub are in.

Drama lead actor: Michael C. Hall is replaced by James Gandolfini.

The comedy lead actress nominations are identical.

Drama lead actress: Amy Brenneman and Rachel Griffiths (recategorized as supporting actress) are out, Marg Helgenberger and Edie Falco are in.

The comedy supporting actor nominations are identical.

Drama supporting actor: Freddy Rodriguez, Dule Hill, and Richard Schiff are out, Michael Imperioli and Joe Pantoliano are in.

Comedy supporting actress: Wendie Malick is out, Cheryl Hines is in.

Drama supporting actress: Mary-Louise Parker and Janel Moloney are out, Lena Olin and Rachel Griffiths are in.

So basically The Sopranos returned to contention and reclaimed several of the nominations it had held in the previous year.

I'm also mad that Junkyard Wars didn't get nominated in either the reality/competition program or the nonfiction (alternative) categories. If Trading Spaces can get nominated, then Junkyard Wars was robbed!

Brad
We apologise for the unnecessary truncation and lack of formatting control in the signature. Those responsible should be sacked.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 03:56 PM

I would have liked to see some more lovin' directed at Alias... oh, like Best Drama instead of maybe 24 (Mountain lions?) And I guess no one really got their hopes up for a Buffy shout-out by the Academy (sigh.)

It really irritates me that people are already saying that Edie Falco has it wrapped up. Go, Jennifer, Go!

Boy, they really need to stop Xeroxing these noms!
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 10:49 PM

I thought sopranos last year except for the final episode was pretty crappy. Something other then it should have been nominated. Even though i thought sopranos wasnt great Falco did deserve to be nominated for the last episode. It was excellent Glad to see 24 and Keifer were nominated, same with Mike C from the shield capt

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator

• 249 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 05:22 AM

Actually, I was really excited to see Garber get it. I love his performances each and every week. Rifkin is good, but I think Jack Bristow deserved it more.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,996 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 11:16 AM

American Dreams, Boomtown, and Without a Trace got robbed big time. No Penny Johnson Jerald, Xander Berkeley or Dennis Haysbert for 24 either. But Yes, Dear did get a nomination. Gotta love the Emmys.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 01:27 PM

Rob P S , I really thought American Dreams had some good episodes too. My other favorite show got passed also, NYPD Blue. I guess the Emmys nominations aren't picked by the viewers right? Boomtown has alot of fans here at HTF too.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   JohnAP

JohnAP

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 04:59 AM

The emmy's rerun mentality has become something of a joke. The voters obviously have just a few shows they watch and don't pay attention to their screeners. Complaining about it is almost pointless at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users