Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Using PC as a HT receiver

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   JonathanJB

• 7 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 07:08 PM

So far I have a Pioneer DVD player and Philips Widescreen TV. I'm considering building a dedicated PC with the right components to function as a: * Digital TV receiver/decoder * Dolby 5.1 receiver/decoder (e.g Sound Blaster Extigy) * DVD burner/copier Besides the obvious disadvantage - that a PC is bloody noisy - how well will a PC perform each of these functions ? What will the sound quality be like ? I was considering an entry-level Pioneer or Yamaha receiver, and perhaps to buy a Digital TV decoder in the next year or two. Maybe I can save some money this way.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Ben LG

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 09:43 PM

I would not use the Extigy for a home theater, the sound quality is horrible out of the box. I updated the drivers and the surround sound is still horrible with a pair of Megaworks 550. Oh yeah and its USB 1.1 so you will most likely get some kind of distortion in the sound as I did while your cpu is crunching.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Barry II

Barry II

• 15 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 02:30 AM

If you want great sound from your PC through a receiver then get a Delta 410 from M-Audio http://www.m-audio.n...io/delta410.php but there is no way you can simulate 5.1 output with same magnitude as conventional receivers. I'm not even sure there is Dolby Decoder you can purchase for a PC unless its software.

--Barry II

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 02:39 AM

Creative Lab's Audigy-2 handles Dolby Digital-EX and has a THX Seal. Considering the noisy environment presented by a PC, the sound is surprisingly good; however, not in the same league with more expensive receivers. If you add a tv-tuner pci-card (Hauppage even has one with an FM-stereo tuner), your pc can do a passable job of managing ht (for the computer room). Marty

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

• 43 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 04:54 AM

Creative OWNS THX guyz they bought it from Lucas Films or whatever hes called... so i would not be jumping up and down about them giving themselves their own seal of approval there is a rather long thread on the avscience forum about this sombody did it and it could not compare ... not yet anyway

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted July 24 2003 - 12:59 PM

A HTPC can be great as a media player, but personally I feel its not matured enough to be a full fledged prepro, much less a receiver. In fact, it will never be able to function as a receiver since it has no amplification. Even functioning as a prepro is hard if you're talking about audio/video switching. However, a HTPC does has its uses. I use mine to as a DVD/CD player/video scaler/media jukebox/TV tuner/digital VCR/among other things.
My Home Theater page. Click on the "home theater" link on the top menu bar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users