Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

John Woo retrospective in Calgary July 18-20, 2003

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 04:37 PM

http://www.info.gov.....24/0624115.htm

Quote:
Hong Kong Film Festival to make its debut in Calgary

The first Hong Kong Film Festival (HKFF) ever staged in Calgary will showcase seven of the best films directed by international renowned Hong Kong director John Woo. The HKFF is launched in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver from late June to late July to mark the sixth anniversary of the establishment of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

Quote:
Presented by the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office (Canada)(HKETO), with the full support of Fairchild Radio FM94.7 in Calgary as its producer, the HKFF entitled "Gems from Asia's Hollywood - A Retrospect of John Woo" will be screened on July 18, 19 and 20 at The Uptown (612-8th Avenue SW) in Calgary. Proceeds of the film festival will be donated to Alberta Children's Hospital.

The seven films to be showcased at Calgary's Uptown theatre on July 18, 19 and 20 are: Hard-Boiled, Shaolin Men, To Hell with the Devil, The Killer (subject to change), Laughing Times, A Better Tomorrow and A Better Tomorrow II.

Who else is going? Posted Image

(listens to the silence)
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter

• 1,442 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 04:57 PM

Max,

I would certainly attend if I lived in Calgary; my sister does, so maybe in the future if there's a big one with talent attending, I may consider it.

I'm assuming John Woo isn't attending. Posted Image

Jason
Buy National Treasure on DVD today..."The best movie I saw on Saturday night from 7pm to 9:30. The DTS track is freakin' awesome!" --Multiplex Drone

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 05:01 PM

Heh. Tell your sister...then she can tell her testosterone-laden friends to go. Posted Image
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 06:15 PM

John Woo is still working, so I wouldn't think this qualifies as a retrospective.
My Collection

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 05:08 AM

Years ago, Mr. John Woo attended a similar event at the Seattle Art Museum and he was extremely gracious. After each showing (I went to screenings of THE KILLER and HARD BOILED) he stood outside and signed everything everyone brought. I had him sign a photo of his "trademark" guns pose from THE KILLER and it's a treasured item.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

Forum Nav Content I Follow