Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I miss my atari 2600

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Myo K

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 03:10 PM

i remember tearing that thing apart when i was young, i miss playing those nostalgic games, too bad those things are going for a few hundred collars now from collectors :/

i just found my genesis! and hooked it up to my wega tv, too bad i can get s video from this thing Posted Image, i wonder how itd sound on my surround system(at a friends house at the moment).

i then began to look for the super nintendo and realized my mother threw it away Posted Image....

im gonna try an get some of the old games back, i have an 8-bit nintendo on hold at the shop Posted Image, i tore my original one apart too, so i must get another :/

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator

• 249 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 04:12 PM

I hooked up my SNES a few months ago. I started playing Pilotwings and Castlevania IV. I love those games.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 02:09 AM

They're not that expensive; I picked up a 7800 (also plays 2600 games) with a few games on ebay for ~$60.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 01:40 PM

This might help:

http://www.gamestop....oduct_id=321721

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 04:19 PM

Still have a 2600 with about 70 games. Every once and a while I dig it out and hook it up to play a few games.
~Brian

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 02:12 AM

Damn, Carlos. Thanks for the info. Yar's Revenge and Missle Command. I'm so there.Posted Image Posted Image

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   KevinRB

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 02:28 AM

Yeah, check out Ebay... You can get an Atari 2600 system with around 30 games for under $50.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 03:56 AM

Quote:
This might help
Of course, it's worth remembering that it's not quite the same - the people who've used it and the Activision version on www.atariage.com say that you do notice some differences, and three of the ten games didn't even use a joystick originally, but paddles. I can't imagine playing Circus with a joystick, for instance.

But, it does have RealSports Volleyball, which isn't necessarily one that people put at the top of their list of 2600 games, but I've yet to meet anyone who didn't play and like it quite a bit.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 06:31 AM

Resurrected!

Just picked up the Atari 10 in 1 stick. I played Yar's and Missle Command for a couple of minutes in the store. Seems pretty cool to me. I'll have more of a kick giving it to my Dad and watching him play it. Those were two of his favorites back in the day.

Here's some posts about it:

Reviews

I'll be playing it tomorrow. I'll post some feed back if there's interest.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor

• 920 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 01:02 PM

I love my Atari. Some of the best games ever are on that system.

And you can't play Kaboom! any other way...

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter

• 1,011 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 03:38 PM

best way to get an atari is garage sales
i got a 2600 with 3 games for 2bucks.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 12:17 AM

Well, I played around with the new stick. I took to Yar's Revenge like a fish to water. Me and my Dad played Missile Command for about an hour.

I tell you what. I haven't had that much fun with a video game since I don't know when. $25 for this thing was a steel.Posted Image Posted Image

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 02:30 AM

How does "Circus Atari" play on it? It was one of my absolute favorite paddle games, and it wasn't bad with a mouse on an emulator, but I can't see playing it with a joystick.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 04:34 AM

I don't think I'm familiar with that game. Do some searching at the links I've posted above. Won't be long before you find a review by some over-picky hardcore atari dweeb.Posted Image

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 04:49 AM

I'm a regular reader of AtariAge... I was just asking how Circus plays as a joystick game; you did say you'd post reactions if people asked. Thought it might be interesting, especially if you hadn't played it with a paddle before (or for a long time), to see if it comes across well.

Quote:
Won't be long before you find a review by some over-picky hardcore atari dweeb. Posted Image
Which is just so much worse than an over-picky home theater dweeb complaining about cropped pictures or lack of DTS. Mocking others' hobbies isn't cool.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted August 15 2003 - 03:17 AM

Sorry Jason. Didn't mean to strike any chords.

Everyone is bashing this thing because a couple of sounds may be a bit different on a few of the games. I picture an overweight 35 year-old smelly guy living in his folks house. This guy never goes outside, and spends his days crouched in front of video games, just nit-picking away.

"Worst. Graphics. Ever." Like the comic book store guy on the Simpsons.

These people irk me.Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow