Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Possible Firefly movie....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,934 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 01:06 PM

I just saw this:

Joss Whedon To Write Firefly Feature Film
Source: Sci Fi Wire
Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Joss Whedon, creator of Fox's canceled SF western series Firefly, told Sci Fi Wire that he is close to a deal to write and direct a feature film based on the short-lived show.

"What's happening with that is that I'm writing a script," Whedon said in an interview. "And I have some interest. But I won't know really until I finish a draft whether or not it's genuine. ... We have a pretty decent shot. It's not a crazed pipe dream."

Whedon said that any deal for a Firefly movie would be contingent on getting the original cast back as the crew of the space transport ship Serenity.

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 03:35 PM

Is it going to be on the DVD with the rest of the episodes?
Posted Image
Ok, I can dream, can't I?

It would be funny if the movie was a hit and the series started back up, wouldn't it?

Glenn

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 03:47 PM

The series comes out December 5th, so no it'd be a seperate item.

They're hoping the series will be more successful as a movie franchise, and since half the cast already have new shows and development deals, it's done as a series

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 04:08 PM

How does one like Josh Whedon get another chance to do a tv series, let alone a movie based on the short-lived series? Wasn't Firefly a rather mixed bag? Is there any word on whether or not this will be direct to TV or not?
"-king sixty-three hundred dollar suit! COME ON!" - Gob

John 3:16My DVD CollectionMy CD Collection

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 04:20 PM

The one episode I managed to see reminded me of Cowboy Bebop...the one where a bounty hunter intercepts the ship and gets on board.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 06:18 PM

I don't think it was a mixed bag at all unless you mean it ranged from very good to freaking fantastic.
My Collection

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 09:32 PM

I am with Rudolph. Posted Image It is also very interesting to see Whedon writing a movie script again instead of just touching them up.

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 01:52 AM

Quote:
How does one like Josh Whedon get another chance to do a tv series, let alone a movie based on the short-lived series?
Right now, he's just writing a script, which doesn't mean much commitment from the studio. As to how he gets another chance, sure, Firefly didn't connect with a large enough audience, but Angel is in its fifth year and Buffy ran seven, and made Fox some good money both in terms of sales and ancillary merchandise. He's certainly worth giving whatever they're paying him for the Firefly feature screenplay, if it keeps him at the studio.

Of course, it could still wind up sitting in a box somewhere in Fox's vaults next to that musical animated Dracula script he was writing for Don Bluth.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#9 of 33 Guest_DAN NEIR_*

Guest_DAN NEIR_*

Posted July 17 2003 - 03:02 AM

It's JOSS!!! not Josh. Somewhere Jeff's head is exploding. Posted Image

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 06:58 AM

I can't believe I never connected those dots, Max. The show was very, very much like Cowboy Bebop. No wonder I loved it.

(I'm with Rudolph also.)

Bebop got a movie.
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 07:02 AM

which bombed in Japan and killed future movies (unless they're commissioned by US companies). No comparisons to Bebop if you want Firefly to live Posted Image

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 09:51 AM

I wouldn't think a Firefly movie would be horribly expensive. IIRC, they still have the Serenity. It was disassembled, but not scrapped. So that takes care of their main location. THey might be able to pull it off for $30-$40 million.
My Collection

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 03:42 PM

Quote:
which bombed in Japan and killed future movies (unless they're commissioned by US companies). No comparisons to Bebop if you want Firefly to live

But unlike Firefly, we got 26 episodes... Posted Image

Jason

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,378 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 17 2003 - 05:00 PM

Quote:
I don't think it was a mixed bag at all unless you mean it ranged from very good to freaking fantastic.
Another voice in the choir for this!Posted Image
Quote:
I am with Rudolph. Posted Image It is also very interesting to see Whedon writing a movie script again instead of just touching them up
Yep, first solo credit since movie-Buffy if you don't count animation and that shit-fest Alien: Ressurection.
Quote:
As to how he gets another chance, sure, Firefly didn't connect with a large enough audience, but Angel is in its fifth year and Buffy ran seven, and made Fox some good money both in terms of sales and ancillary merchandise.
Not to mention that Firefly's ratings, while poor for Fox standards were downright decent for the WB and were acceptable for a Friday night. If it had been given a week night or the old X-Files spot, who knows where it would be right now.
Quote:
I wouldn't think a Firefly movie would be horribly expensive. IIRC, they still have the Serenity. It was disassembled, but not scrapped. So that takes care of their main location. THey might be able to pull it off for $30-$40 million.
Exactly. Each episode only cost around $2 or $3 million, a lot by TV standards but penny change in the movie world. Now movies are by their very nature more expensive, but even so it shouldn't cost too much more that $30 million. Specially since none of the stars have made it really big yet, unless you count Gina Torres' bit role in Reloaded.

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,887 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 12:53 AM

Quote:
Specially since none of the stars have made it really big yet, unless you count Gina Torres' bit role in Reloaded.

Gina's role in "Reloaded" had more to do with her being Mrs. Laurence Fishburne than anything else. Posted Image
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 03:18 AM

Quote:
Not to mention that Firefly's ratings, while poor for Fox standards were downright decent for the WB and were acceptable for a Friday night. If it had been given a week night or the old X-Files spot, who knows where it would be right now.
If they were acceptable for a Friday night, Firefly would still be in production. And even if its ratings were good enough for WB, that doesn't mean that Firefly would have achieved those ratings on that network - not only does it have somewhat lower household penetration, but there's a good chance WB would have paid less per episode, which would have cut into the production values...

And putting Firefly on another night, or Sunday at 9pm (where it wouldn't have gone, because Angel was there and Mutant Enemy supposedly has no-compete clauses) might just have exposed it to harsher competition as opposed to being the only action hour/show targeted to its age group on at the time.

I loved Firefly, but let's not be under the illusion that it was anything but an expensive gamble.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 09:24 AM

Jason, Fox apparently has odd ideas about what acceptable ratings for a Friday are. No show has lasted more than one season there since Millenium ended in 1999.

Firefly was simply too expensive for a low-traffic night like Friday.
My Collection

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,378 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 19 2003 - 12:34 AM

Quote:
If they were acceptable for a Friday night, Firefly would still be in production.
I didn't say acceptable by Fox's standards. But Firefly's ratings were[EDIT: should be weren't] much below average for the night.
Quote:
even if its ratings were good enough for WB, that doesn't mean that Firefly would have achieved those ratings on that network - not only does it have somewhat lower household penetration, but there's a good chance WB would have paid less per episode, which would have cut into the production values...
It couldn't have been made at the WB, I have no illusions about that. My point was that it matched the ratings standard of his previous shows, not that it should have launched there. The production values would have definitely suffered on WB (Galactica redux?). That said, considering that the WB attracts more of a niche market than other channels, I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings held up darn near as well. Still, Friday's a death zone any way you slice it.
Quote:
And putting Firefly on another night, or Sunday at 9pm (where it wouldn't have gone, because Angel was there and Mutant Enemy supposedly has no-compete clauses) might just have exposed it to harsher competition as opposed to being the only action hour/show targeted to its age group on at the time.
Yes, but considering that Angel is just clinging to life as it is it may have been smarter for them to switch Angel's night as opposed to Firefly's. And while Sunday at 9 is tougher competition, it's because there's a much larger audience to divide up. Law and Order wouldn't have had much cross-over, so the only real threat to viewship would have been Alias. Would it have still failed on Sundays? Maybe. But it would have had a fighting chance there, atleast.

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 19 2003 - 08:17 AM

Of course, when a show gets moved around, there's all sorts of complaints that the network wouldn't let it stay in one place and let it build an audience.

When a network cancels a show one loves, there's always something that could have been done better/different that could have saved it. Posted Image

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 19 2003 - 09:08 AM

Angel should definately have NOT stayed across from Alias, it's a split audience. It's no coincidence that the ratings went up when the show moved to Wednesday (that and the fact that it got even better Posted Image )

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow