What's new

Anybody here ever work for Rainbow vacuum? (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
My brother is contemplating taking a salesman job with Rainbow. They sell some air purifier/vacuum thingy. They told him that if he just has 5 appointments and doesn't sell anything, he gets $600 a week. I just want to see if anyone here has experience. Good or Bad.

Thanks
Brandon

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
He'll have to hustle his butt off to get five appointments a week. It sounds easy, but it's basically door-to-door cold calling.

It's an interesting product, though.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I know this guy who is into that. He seems to make just enough to survive...

From a customer point of view, there is no way in hell I am paying $1000 for a vacuum cleaner, I don't care how long it lasts.

--
Holadem

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I had an acquaintance work for them for a short while and after a few weeks he was hard pressed to find people to offer demonstations to. After he hit up all his friends and family, he couldn't get anybody else. Even if you tell them no purchase is necessary, people will feel pressured, especially since it takes 1-2 hrs for the demonstration. I think it's a quick way to alienate people, unless you're *really* smooth in the sales department.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Is this kinda like the Kirby vacuum thing. They are some espensive vacuum cleaners and salesman always asking do you have someone you can refer me to for a demo.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Brandon...I did the same deal with Kirby, one of Rainbow's competition.

I got handed the same line. It's bunk. Your brother is going to end up doing cold-calls and/or door-to-door sales.

I got sucked in to Kirby in the same fashion. Even quit a job I'd had for 5 years to do it. Boy what THAT a mistake. I ended up swallowing my pride, and going back to my old boss and asking if I could come back. (Thankfully he let me.)

I got told "only 6 appointments" and "make your own hours" and more empty promises. Never, in one week, did I have six appointments/demos.

Make my own hours? Whatever. I got picked up by the area rep at 8AM, and dropped off in an unfamiliar area. I then went door-to-door to "make appointments" until I either A) got one or B) 6PM rolled around and I got picked up. Glad I was "making my own hours", or I might still be out there somewhere. ;)

There were a few folks who also booked telephone appointments. Think about it. If this is the route your brother went, he becomes a TELEMARKETER who is selling thousand-dollar vacuums. How many appointments do YOU think he'll get? Not many, lemme tell ya.

It's hard work, with minimal returns. Even getting the demos/appointments setup nowadays is tough, as most people won't TOUCH a thousand-dollar vacuum cleaner. Hell, I believed in Kirby, and I *still* wouldn't buy one at that price.

My advice... tell your brother to not waste his time.

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
We had a Rainbow demonstration a while ago. The way they got us to book it was pretty deceptive: let us have 30 minutes of your time to demonstrate "our product" (no mention of what it was), and choose a "thank-you gift." I said yes to get them off my back, since they had called twice a day every day for two weeks.

Anyway, when the sales rep came to our door, we had no idea what it was she was selling. We also didn't expect a two-hour demo. That said, we thought the product was really cool. If it had been under a grand, we might have actually bought it. As it was, I think the quoted price was more like $2,000 -- and no way in heck are we ever going to pay that much for a vacuum cleaner!

The sales rep did ask us for names/numbers of friends and family we thought "might be interested in a home demo." She offered us a few hundred dollars off the price of the vacuum if we would give her 5 names. We refused to do that. She also offered us the opportunity to reduce the price by about half (I think) if either of us wanted to do a certain number of in-home demos. Obviously, we turned down that offer, too.

Good product, though. Just way overpriced.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'd stay away from the sales angle, you'll never get anywhere. We bought one after a demo (the free gift scam) - nothing really wrong with the product, but the price is steep. If you want one, look on ebay, they sell pretty cheap.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Years ago I sold Filter Queen and then Electrolux door to door. Different brands but the same scam, the price is outrageous to cover the sales commission. We'd make a little money on the side cleaning carpets and upholstery with the shampoo unit.
"Yes m'am, this detergent is biodegradable, you could drink it, completely harmless and it will not damage your fabric."
Often when you did sell a unit you'd end up repoing it a few days later.
"I love it, but my husband says we can't afford it, sorry."
During part of this vocation I was in the Catskills and I'd just use the opportunity to get fantastic home tours. "If I don't mention vacuums again, will you show me around?" It always worked.
BTW....this was amusing but not a good career path.
There were some interesting visits. ;)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Oh yeah, any vacuum will hold up a bowling ball or 3 steel ball bearings or whatever. Any vacuum will pick up more dirt following any other vac.
You will be shamed by a salesman, "This isn't dirt, it's FILTH. Do you want your family to live in this?"
Pulling the sheets off the bed and showing them the results of a few swipes there was always cringworthy. "This is your dead skin."
A few years ago an Electrolux saleswoman in Austin got to my niece. She told me the day after. Not being attuned to inflation I guessed $800.00. The actual figure was $1400.00.
Niece has real money and is a bright girl, but on this occasion I just told her, "Call them to come get it, you get 3 days by state law, you are NOT keeping that machine."
Then I took her to a vacuum specialty shop and told them to sell her the BEST machine they would suggest for her home. It was around $300.00

Scott De

Grip
One summer in college I sublet an apartment that included all utilities. Paid upfront, so essentially had few to no bills for the summer.

On a whim, took a job w/a local Rainbow outfit. Mainly for the face-to-face customer interaction & sales experience.

I remember long days, few appointments, lots of travelling within the territory, and the occasional sale (two in one presentation once).

From what I recall, the majority of the people working with me were transient, short-term types. But some were more of the "make a career of it" types.

I do recall a rather rabid Rainbow convention at one point that summer. Lots of gung-ho Rainbow Warriors and a whole lot of polyester.

Good experience all in all, but I really wasn't doing it for the money. I echo what the one poster said about believing in the product, but still not being willing to spend that kind of money on a vacuum!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
A few years ago an Electrolux saleswoman in Austin got to my niece. She told me the day after. Not being attuned to inflation I guessed $800.00. The actual figure was $1400.00.
Electrolux are a tad expensive, but they really do last forever. My grandmother still has hers from the 60's I believe, running as good as brand new. My mother bought one in the 70's which still runs perfectly and a newer model within the past 10 years which has had zero problems as well.

The one problem with the Rainbow Vac I have heard from those who have purchased the unit is the constant emptying of the water. It is not that big a deal if you vacuum infrequently, but if you have a large house or messy kids, it can become a pain in the butt. We had a guy do a demo about 7 years ago, and the free gift was a set of tupperware like dishes.

These home sales turn me off in general, because I try to avoid having my home act as a marketplace. Don't even get me started with the Cutco pimps.

J

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
You will be shamed by a salesman, "This isn't dirt, it's FILTH. Do you want your family to live in this?" Pulling the sheets off the bed and showing them the results of a few swipes there was always cringworthy. "This is your dead skin."
Oh yes, I remember those tactics. I also loved that when doing a demo, you had a little container that fit onto the output of the machine, and it had a little removable paper filter, so you could SHOW people the grossness of their house.

Or the "free gift" tactic. Let us show you our product, no obligation, and you can keep this wonderful *insert useless product name here*

Plus, I got taught all these wonderful little psychological tricks. Like writting down an inflated price, and then writing down a lower price, and making sure your WRITING was SMALLER when you did so. Little things like that.

Devin U

Second Unit
I got conned into a demo for one of these. We were promissed a $500 grocery store gift certificate for a 30 min "survey". Well, it was a 2 hr Patriot vacuum sales pitch, and no gift cert. I called the appointment setter (thank you caller ID), and was told, "oh, well Ill talk to him and have hime get it to you. Guess what, never got a call returned and never got my gift cert. I would not suggest working for any company with tactics like these. I am a nice guy and blew it off as a waste of 2 hrs, but sooner or later, you're gonna get your ass kicked by making outrageous claimes to get into a house.

Quincy

Stunt Coordinator
I work with a guy who used to sell Kirby, he said these things had like a $900 markup on them. I believe he said they were bought for like $275 from Kirby then the local company marked them up to $500 and then the salesman got to mark them up to whatever he wanted.

I bought one once for like $1400, cleaned all the carpets in my house with the carpet shampooer and then called them to come back and get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks