What's new

DIY Newbie (1 Viewer)

HowardCanning

Auditioning
Hello! Let me first say that this is my first post, and it looks like a really friendly place here, I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

Anyway, as my first venture into DIY subwoofer building, I was looking on eBay for drivers to build one, and I came across an auction for an SPLX 12" driver and cabinet, for pick up only. I won the bidding at £10 (I assume no one else bid because it was collection only) and the guy then offered to come and deliver it for an extra £10, which you can't refuse!

So basically, I have here a big yellow 12" sub driver (I assume it's a car sub) built into a hexagonal shaped MDF cabinet, of about 2Cubic Ft. I connected it up to my old Tandberg receiver to act as the subwoofer amp :p) and that to my reciever and it sounds pretty amazing!

Here's a photo of it from the auction site, I'll take more photos when I can gather enough energy to lug it in here to use the webcam:

http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_...33dac5/i-1.JPG

The cabinet is finished pretty well, with only a few minor "errors" with the MDF fitting together, and with a bit of sanding, and a nice paint job, it will look pretty nice sitting in my bedroom!

Anyway, do you guys have any advice for a newbie like me, like how to position it (on it's side, facing upward, down firing, etc), what colour to paint it :D , etc? And on the driver's huge magnet it says "SPLX 1250". I could not find any data on this on the web. Maybe one of you guys will have better luck?

Thanks for your input, and be gentle, I'm a newbie! ;)

Howard

TimForman

Supporting Actor
it looks like a really friendly place here
Yeah, well, these guys have their moments let me tell you. Still, it's better here than a couple of other sites I could mention. The problem is, some of these guys are too smart for their own good, if you know what I mean. Sorry, I don't know anything about your particular sub. I guess for 20 pounds you can't go too far wrong. I started a thread on sub placement you may want to read. I can only offer a couple of basics. Put the sub in a corner of the room. As for which direction to fire the driver you'll have to experiment. Not all subs are made to fire vertically. If it fires horizontally it doesn't make a big difference if it's facing you or not.

HowardCanning

Auditioning
Thanks.
I tried it down firing and it wasn't quite as good as standing upright facing upwards. You could feel it more than hear it when it was down firing :

I think when I've finished "decorating it" with filling in the MDF gaps, paint job, etc, I'll decide whether to place it on it's side facing horizontally or on it's end facing vertically.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks