What's new

Dark red walls bad for viewing? (1 Viewer)

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Shane...take a look at my room and you'll see we're twins! :D And the myth about wall colors affecting your screen is just that...a myth....I've had numerous over for theater nights and I'm happy to report noone said the images looked red! LOL...

Enjoy buddy!

E

Jon Gum

Stunt Coordinator
Just a heads up.....red hughes take MANY coats to look right. I did not use any red in my HT, but my experience elsewhere in the house was red took 8 - 9 coats before it was the true red we imagined.

Your deeper red may be easier, but ask at the paint store. If they tell you it is a hard color to get coverage for.......believe them!
Jon

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Jon is right...my Cranberry Zing took 3 coats! But that's not bad since it was only the upper 4' of the wall! :D

BTW...if red affected the screen...then why the heck do most theaters have red curtains on the wall! LOL...I love these myths...I had a few e-mails during my construction process asking this very question. I'll be honest...it got me at first but then I researched a bit and then proceeded to laugh! ;)

E

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Erik, I actually got the color scheme idea from your theater; I just wanted it a bit darker.

I laid down a pretty thick coat of primer so I'm expecting I'll only have to do the red three times.

Glad it's a myth. I really like the color.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Oh my gosh...I was totally joking on the 'twins' comment...but I guess I was not! LOL...it is amazing what a camera does to color...cause the red on my website comes out much Lighter than it really is...so you should be set if you're going darker than me! Have fun and do share pics! :D

E

BrianKR

Second Unit
I agree with Jon as well.
The color I have is called "deep amethyst" from Behr and it took four heavy coats to get the right look. The salesperson at the paint department told me it would only take "one" coat :). At first my room looked like barney the dinosaur!:D
Now I absolutely love it!

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
It might take "One" coat for someone with a $700 spray gun :). The rest of us have to trudge along with our 18th century brushes!

Sean.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
I'm using a medium gray primer so I'm expecting to do only two coats for the red. Maybe three. I've done red before without any primer and it took 6 coats to get right.

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
I painted my room a deep red as well. Canton Red from Benjamin Moore. I used 4 coats (that includes a deep base primer) of the Superpaint (one down from the top of the line paint).

I would highly recommend that for a red, which doesn't cover very well, that you use a quality paint, like Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, or Pratt and Lambert. Stay far away from Behr (good rule of thumb anyway) and Glidden quality paints. You will end up doing 8 coats to cover.

Take care.

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
With paints generally you get what you pay for. The cheaper it is the less solids content it will have. I have seen more complaints over Behr paint than any other out there. If you go with a paint from a big box store, use the American Tradition from Lowe's. Consumer Reports really likes that paint.

When I did my basement for the light colors in the other room I used American Tradition. For my media room, which I knew was a tough color, I made sure to use a paint that would cover well, thus the Superpaint from BM. It was only $25 a gallon, not a huge difference to Behr. To me it wasn't worth the risk of having a crappy paint job in a room that I had slaved over for a $20 difference in paint between BM and something else.

Oh, and when you paint your walls the dark red, don't make a judgement on the color until you get a couple/few coats on. The first coat I did was a nice fucia (ack!). ;-) Subsequent coats got progressively darker.

Take care.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Why stay away from Behr?
Shane,

Behr has had a bad name for years (not in my personal experience however.. read on). I seem to recall it performed poorly many years ago in a Consumer Reports test. If anyone subscribes (I don't), there was a test in the 7/02 edition. I would be interested to see how it has performed recently.

Despite this, I used Behr Premium Plus in my HT, matching Ralph Lauren's Kilim Red (TH53). I used ONE COAT over a WHITE drywall primer, using a medium nap roller. It matches the color of the swatch exactly. Maybe it has something to do with painting techniques.... I don't know.

Over the last 5 years, I have been using Behr Premium Plus for all of my interior latex needs. I have had no complaints/problems. Normally, I get adequate coverage in one or two coats. The most I've had to do was three.

BTW, there was a discussion in May re: room color:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...97#post1521797

MikeWh

Second Unit
heh heh... looks like Jacques beat me to a post re: Consumer Reports. Interestingly enough, I do recall a CR from years ago that rated one of the Wal-Mart "house" brands highly (I believe it's actually manufactured by Sherwin-Williams). I'd be interested to see that 7/02 CR test.

Agustin

Agent
Erik i saw your HT today, oh my god is so cool, i dont know what word describe better

congrats for a good place to watch movies

BrianKR

Second Unit
I agree on Glidden but disagree on Behr.
I use Behr Premium Plus and American Tradition paint only.
I have never had a problem or any complaints with Behr.

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator
One nice thing to try is to have your primer tinted. This really helps when doing dark colours. BTW I totally agree about the quality of paint. Do the best that you can afford.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Well, I didn't really think about the quality of the paint when I got it, just the color. Got the Behr premium stuff from Home Depot and it seems to work fine, though, in truth, all I'm really thinking when I'm painting is how much I hate painting. I did notice that the paint was kinda thick.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Shane, I used the EXACT same paint you have and had no problems...how's this...I didn't even prime and only needed three coats! :D

E

joe smith

Auditioning
I was going to offer the same advice about having your primer tinted. I too used Behr Premium, Currant Jam a dark red , and liked the results. When shopping for paint I had a Sherwin Williams store tell me that the high ends paints aren't very different, even between Sherwin Williams and Behr premium. I was shocked to hear this from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks