Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mask of Zorro on CBS HD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 dan fritzen

dan fritzen

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 05:08 AM

I was watching this last night and it was beautiful and 16:9 ratio was cool. But the last commercial break I was stuck watching it at 4:3 the aspect ratio was correct, not squeezed but was this supposed to happen or did someone not do somethign right? Is HDTV that hard to do right? NBC had ER 16:9 but sent the signal with left and right letterboxing so my 34 widescreen TV was reduced to like 25". I live in the Minneapolis area.
"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how did you enjoy the show?"

#2 of 7 Jonathan

Jonathan

Second Unit

• 465 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 06:39 AM

My local CBS didn't show ir in HD. It was just 4:3 and looked terrible.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."
- Office Space

---------------------------------------
My DVD Collection

#3 of 7 dan fritzen

dan fritzen

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 04:32 AM

Now I watched the All Star game last night on Fox, same thing, it was widescreen until the 9th inning, what is going on? Is HD and widescreen that hard to do?

#4 of 7 Lee L

Lee L

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 07:49 AM

Many stations do the 4:3 thing after the last commercial so they can insert the news lead in over the credits. Hardly no one has any equipment that will allow the insert over HD material. Personally, I'm not sure why they don;t wait and switch ot as the credits roll. Laziness I guess.
Revenge is like serving cold cuts-

Tony Soprano

#5 of 7 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 03:49 PM

Quote:
it was beautiful and 16:9 ratio was cool.

Given the fact that the OAR of this film is 2.35:1, I don't think it was cool at all.

#6 of 7 dan fritzen

dan fritzen

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 12:26 AM

Quote:
Given the fact that the OAR of this film is 2.35:1, I don't think it was cool at all.

Back when I had laserdisc I always prefered widescreen, now that I have a 16:9 TV I like not having letterbox, although I still prefer original formats, I am not missing as much as I would with a 4:3 TV.

#7 of 7 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 03:38 PM

Dan,

Thems is fightin' words! Posted Image

In all seriousness, though, I find this practice just as offensive to butcher to 1.78:1 as it is to 1.33:1. There is no difference to my mind.

We should all be on the same page on this forum. That's what we're here for, isn't it?

Dan

Forum Nav Content I Follow