What's new

Some VERY bad new about bilingual covers (1 Viewer)

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I just got the MASH Season 4 boxset from a Canadian retailer and there's a big red circle on the cover with the words "Piste sonore francaise et jaquette francaise / anglaise reversible incluses" (French soundtrack and reversible french/english cover included) - so we can take Fox off the "safe-list" regarding french covers.
Now I have to reorder the set from amazon.com and put this garbage up on eBay. :angry:

Edit:
Please close/delete this post.
I've found out that Fox always supplies two versions - one with an English cover and one with a bilingual cover.
My retailer just sent me the wrong one.
Sorry. :frowning:

Terry H

Second Unit
It says the cover is reversable, right? Just reverse it to the English side. What's the issue?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
In Canada, in regards to reversible covers, the usual way is predominately english (poster art etc) with french caption in brackets on the front, and english and french on the back (with english being the "first" on the top/left side.)

The reverse side is reversed, french on the front poster art, with english captions, with the back cover being french on the top/ to the left.

It doesn't make much difference, just that the caption/ features on the back cover tend to be smaller to fit it all in both languages. No one know why they don't print an all english side, and all french side, as that would be preference to both english and french speaking consumers.

I can't believe that people would special order DVD, or pass on buying a title just because of bilingual packaging..

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I can't believe that people would special order DVD, or pass on buying a title just because of bilingual packaging..
I do this all the time, even if this results in paying up to 30% more per title. Besides, buying a DVD with a bilingual cover usually makes it much more difficult to resell it later on.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Another correction - my supplier has now informed me that there is NO English-only version of the fourth season of MASH.
So my original statement stands - FOX is off the 'safe-list' for non-bilingual covers.
So apparently every FOX DVD cover from Canada will from now on have an English side with a big red circle stating "Piste sonore francaise et jaquette francaise / anglaise reversible incluses" and a French side with the same circle in English.
:angry: :thumbsdown: :angry:

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I will check tomorrow, if this is indeed the case... hello Amazon.

And I can't believe that you can't believe that people would special order DVDs just because of a title. Unlike you Michael (most likely, you do live in Montreal) I don't speak French. Never liked it, never did. Don't want it on my DVD covers. The French ruins the cover art, and as a collector I don't want that.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I'm not fond of bilingual covers either. Aesthetically it ruins the cover and it makes trying to trade/sell the title on here or eBay difficult.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
HI,

Another correction - my supplier has now informed me that there is NO English-only version of the fourth season of MASH.
Strange. Canadian based DVD Soon still have 2 different versions listed for MASH Season 4: one English (UPC: 024543078791), one French (UPC: 024543078845).

Chris

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the only real part of the cover i don't like in french is the spine. usually if the french title is on a black bacground (which it usually is 75% of the time) i take a black marker and just cover it - it works most of the time.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
What's really lame is they decide to apply the bilingual covers in the middle of a set.

So Canadians who purchased the first 3 seasons, will now have bilingual covers to make for an inconsistent display on their shelves. My brother's not going to be happy about this.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
that's why dvdcoverart tries to offer the English-only cover for titles that are released with bilingual covers in canada ;)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Put me in the camp who dislikes bilingual covers. I have no problem if they include an all French reversable cover, but keep the advertising about it off the cover art. That's what stickers are for, and for that matter, why not print it on the security sticker?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
If one side were French, the other English then there'd be no issue. But what he get is both languages on both sides, just in a different order.

It's hard to comprehend how someone can actually get paid money to make a decision like this.

I check all pre-orders before I order. Anything bilingual, I order from Amazon. It usually doesn't work out any more expensive for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks