Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Some VERY bad new about bilingual covers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 of 50 Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 09:31 PM

I just got the MASH Season 4 boxset from a Canadian retailer and there's a big red circle on the cover with the words "Piste sonore francaise et jaquette francaise / anglaise reversible incluses" (French soundtrack and reversible french/english cover included) - so we can take Fox off the "safe-list" regarding french covers.
Now I have to reorder the set from amazon.com and put this garbage up on eBay. Posted Image

Edit:
Please close/delete this post.
I've found out that Fox always supplies two versions - one with an English cover and one with a bilingual cover.
My retailer just sent me the wrong one.
Sorry. Posted Image

#2 of 50 MikeHughes

MikeHughes

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 11:37 PM

Hmmm, what's all the fuss about bilingual covers? i don't really care about covers being french. Posted Image

#3 of 50 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 12:51 AM

yeah...I don't get it either. Why is it a problem?
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#4 of 50 Bingo

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 12:53 AM

One word: UGLY!
Steve Blair

My DVD Collection

#5 of 50 Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 01:05 AM

Exactly. That's why I buy my DVD's from America, so I can have nice, original artwork.
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#6 of 50 Terry H

Terry H

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 02:25 AM

It says the cover is reversable, right? Just reverse it to the English side. What's the issue?

#7 of 50 Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 02:30 AM

The reverse side also features French?

#8 of 50 Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 02:46 AM

Quote:
Edit:
Please close/delete this post.
I've found out that Fox always supplies two versions - one with an English cover and one with a bilingual cover.
My retailer just sent me the wrong one.
Sorry.

Phew! Had me worried there. Posted Image Posted Image
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#9 of 50 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 14 2003 - 03:21 AM

In Canada, in regards to reversible covers, the usual way is predominately english (poster art etc) with french caption in brackets on the front, and english and french on the back (with english being the "first" on the top/left side.)

The reverse side is reversed, french on the front poster art, with english captions, with the back cover being french on the top/ to the left.

It doesn't make much difference, just that the caption/ features on the back cover tend to be smaller to fit it all in both languages. No one know why they don't print an all english side, and all french side, as that would be preference to both english and french speaking consumers.

I can't believe that people would special order DVD, or pass on buying a title just because of bilingual packaging..
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#10 of 50 MichaelPe

MichaelPe

Screenwriter

• 1,118 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 03:45 AM

Quote:
I can't believe that people would special order DVD, or pass on buying a title just because of bilingual packaging..
I do this all the time, even if this results in paying up to 30% more per title. Besides, buying a DVD with a bilingual cover usually makes it much more difficult to resell it later on.

#11 of 50 Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 04:01 AM

Another correction - my supplier has now informed me that there is NO English-only version of the fourth season of MASH.
So my original statement stands - FOX is off the 'safe-list' for non-bilingual covers.
So apparently every FOX DVD cover from Canada will from now on have an English side with a big red circle stating "Piste sonore francaise et jaquette francaise / anglaise reversible incluses" and a French side with the same circle in English.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 of 50 Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

• 1,303 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 04:11 AM

I will check tomorrow, if this is indeed the case... hello Amazon.

Quote:

And I can't believe that you can't believe that people would special order DVDs just because of a title. Unlike you Michael (most likely, you do live in Montreal) I don't speak French. Never liked it, never did. Don't want it on my DVD covers. The French ruins the cover art, and as a collector I don't want that.
DVD Collection | Video Game Collection | Live Gamertag: vicodinjunkie

#13 of 50 Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 04:20 AM

I'm not fond of bilingual covers either. Aesthetically it ruins the cover and it makes trying to trade/sell the title on here or eBay difficult.

#14 of 50 Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 04:40 AM

HI,

Quote:
Another correction - my supplier has now informed me that there is NO English-only version of the fourth season of MASH.
Strange. Canadian based DVD Soon still have 2 different versions listed for MASH Season 4: one English (UPC: 024543078791), one French (UPC: 024543078845).

Chris

#15 of 50 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 04:42 AM

the only real part of the cover i don't like in french is the spine. usually if the french title is on a black bacground (which it usually is 75% of the time) i take a black marker and just cover it - it works most of the time.
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#16 of 50 Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 04:48 AM

Quote:
Strange. Canadian based DVD Soon still have 2 different versions listed for MASH Season 4: one English (UPC: 024543078791), one French (UPC: 024543078845).

That's what I told my supplier - but they contacted their supplier and he told them that there's only one version.
And I have no reason to doubt them because they have always been extremely reliable and friendly.

Quote:
, if this is indeed the case... hello Amazon.

That's what I thought - someone should check whether Jeff Bezos had anything to do with that stupid law regarding bilingual covers. Posted Image

#17 of 50 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 04:54 AM

What's really lame is they decide to apply the bilingual covers in the middle of a set.

So Canadians who purchased the first 3 seasons, will now have bilingual covers to make for an inconsistent display on their shelves. My brother's not going to be happy about this.

#18 of 50 Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 05:29 AM

that's why dvdcoverart tries to offer the English-only cover for titles that are released with bilingual covers in canada Posted Image

#19 of 50 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 05:35 AM

Put me in the camp who dislikes bilingual covers. I have no problem if they include an all French reversable cover, but keep the advertising about it off the cover art. That's what stickers are for, and for that matter, why not print it on the security sticker?

#20 of 50 Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 05:58 AM

If one side were French, the other English then there'd be no issue. But what he get is both languages on both sides, just in a different order.

It's hard to comprehend how someone can actually get paid money to make a decision like this.

I check all pre-orders before I order. Anything bilingual, I order from Amazon. It usually doesn't work out any more expensive for me.
No longer here.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow