Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

FUTURAMA 7/13/'03: "Spanish Fry"

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 01:27 PM

"Spanish Fry"

summary:

[quote] [quote][*]Fry (at the end): "I never thought I'd escape with my doodle, but I pulled it out."[/list] This one is both funny and clever, and we're down, I think, to a precious four episodes, a two-parter featuring Bender, a final episode with the Robot Devil, and one other.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 02:54 PM

[quote] The wonderful take-off on the grainy and/or out-of-focus Bigfoot "documentaries" of the 1970s. [quote] I remember Groening mentioning when this show started that he wanted to really do something that shows the animators off, since The Simpsons really doesn't. I liked this sequence, because they really did seem to be doing a couple neat things with animation style.

Not one of my favorite Futuramae (they generally don't lean so heavily on one joke), but amusing enough.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 07:34 PM

In the DVD commentaries, they mention hwo they originally wanted to remix the theme every episode, but ended up not doing it. I guess for these last few they pulled out all stops. Bender's constant jokes were a riot.
My Collection

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted July 13 2003 - 11:45 PM

I loved last night's episode.. Maybe because I'm an avid backpacker/camper. Where can I get one of those popup tents? Posted Image

Plus the fact I was responding to a tent question by a HTF'er on After Hours just as Futurama was beginning..Posted Image

I, too, was laughing at Bender's cracks on Fry, especially the one with the Jerk Chicken and Lrrrrrr's comment about needing to have Fry's Lower Horn jerked... Posted Image

One question: What was the alien abduction tube a spoof of? It kind of remined me of the Pipes screensaver on W2k or NT. 'Hey, what's this tube?' Or was it just a sight gag not spoofing anything?

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 01:54 AM

Great episode! Posted Image I loved the bigfoot references. The documentary Ranger Park showed the gang was hilarious.
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 05:29 AM

[quote] One question: What was the alien abduction tube a spoof of? It kind of remined me of the Pipes screensaver on W2k or NT. 'Hey, what's this tube?' Or was it just a sight gag not spoofing anything? [quote]

It also reminded me of that screensaver. (I think that's what was intended.)

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted July 15 2003 - 09:15 AM

[quote] Bender's timed wise-cracking comments about Fry's manly endowments. [quote]I totally love Futurama, but I think I'm the only one who didn't like this. It seemed to be a bit much. One or two would have been funny, but it just seemed like they were reaching for laughs.

A lot of the jokes seemed a bit forced. Most of the gags have already been played to death.

A definite downer for me Posted Image

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted July 15 2003 - 10:31 AM

[quote] Fry (at the end): "I never thought I'd escape with my doodle, but I pulled it out." [quote]

"Just like at the movie theater! Woooooooo!"

One of the funniest Futurama's ever.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   StephenA

StephenA

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 03:08 AM

I loved this episode too. Very funny. The only thing that kind of annoyed me was when Bender kept saying woo after his jokes. My favorite part was the reference to the 1967 "film" of bigfoot when the bigfoot in the show turned and looked back at the aliens like the one in he film did.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 04:54 AM

Another one I missed. Just because I got in the habit of it not being on. Was that the last one? Ric

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 09:28 AM

Ric Easton wrote (post # 10):

[quote] [quote]
I assume the last two episodes will air in August.

If "Spanish Fry" had a special feature in the ending, I missed it. Anyone know?
"Delenda est . . . . "

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 09:47 AM

Thanks Rex, Any ideas on how soon these last few will be appearing on the Cartoon Network? I missed 3 out of the last 4! Ric

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 10:40 AM

[quote] If "Spanish Fry" had a special feature in the ending, I missed it. Anyone know? [quote]
Yeah, it did. There was a short episode of The Scary Door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users