What's new

cables needed for home theater ? (1 Viewer)

sam_sark

Grip
just bought b&w speaker package ..will pick up next week...wondering what cables i might need to connect my dvd,tv & speakers to the receiver...i have absolutely no idea and do not want to depend solely on the salesperson opinion....any help would be appreciated
tx

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
What kind of video connection (RCA, S-video or component)?

What kind of digital audio connection (optical or coax)?

Do you want to connect the video through the receiver or straight ro the tv?

At the minimum, you need a set of video cables (RCA, S-video or component) for the DVD to TV connection (another set for receiver to TV if you want to switch video sources with your receiver). You will need an optical or 75 Ohm coax cable for digital audio from the DVD to the receiver. You will probably need a set of regular RCA audio cables for the TV to receiver connection (audio out on TV, TV in on receiver) for surround sound regular TV. You will also need enough speaker wire to wire your speakers to the receiver (12 or 14 guage). You can spend from 10 cents a foot to $100 a foot for speaker wire, so be careful you don't spend more than you want to. The same goes for interconnects, don't spend what you cannot afford. Do a search for "cables" and see both sides of the "do $200 cables really sound better" debate. (FYI, I'm with Chu Gai on this one).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks