What's new

Finally: Looney Tunes (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
From reading that, its nice to see that their giving us different options on what kind we want best of, or big box! Originally i thought they would only choose 1 of the 2 or whatever .:emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Just barely contained in two special edition discs, each specially selected short has been brilliantly restored and re-mastered to its original anvil-dropping, laughter-inducing glory!
Hallelujah! No politically correct edits or cuts. Thank you Warner Brothers!

It will be interesting to see these in their proper aspect ratio, that is without the edges chopped off.

I'm old fashioned and like to show a cartoon or two, and a short film before the "feature presentation." I have to admit that some of my cartoon choices were not very popular with my friends and family. These will fix that problem for sure!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Heh. I just dropped by to report on this. Well, I've been beat. Ah well. :wink:

Well, I see he left off the info about the extras, the sound and subtitles, the video formats...and completely missed Space Jam: 2-Disc Special Edition. In widescreen. :D

That's des-picable! :laugh:

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I'm assuming that each set is going to contain different cartoons so as to make you want to buy all four sets. :D :D

10/28/2003 just became my most anticipated date of the year.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
That's odd. Back a few months ago, either DVDFile or The Digital Bits (perhaps both) linked to a survey WB was reportedly conducting to determine which of these release options fans wanted to see. Now it seems we're getting all of the above. Hmmm. :confused:

Oh well. The Golden Collection is, of course, the premiere ticket (residents of Aberdeen may see some tongue in cheek humor there :)), but I trust these 56 will be followed by subsequent boxed sets (they didn't number the first Looney Tunes set on laserdisc, either, so that isn't necessarily a worry). How many will they need for the entire gang, at the rate of 50-60 per set? I seem to recall reading this someplace (probably DVDFile or TDB), but I've forgotten ... around ten sets, isn't it? Something like that. :emoji_thumbsup: Stagger 'em a few months apart, and I'm there for each, assuming all widescreen material is anamorphically enhanced. Once these are out, my laserdiscs will make fine hubcaps (I don't imagine I'll be able to sell those pricey suckers for much ... such is the bitter in sweet progress -- no complaints here!).

Well done, WB. With the Warner Legends set the month before, and rumored Lon Chaney releases also in late October, this is quickly becoming their year. Exciting days ahead ....

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll also repeat a question....

Does the 4-disc boxed set contain totally different
material than the 2-disc set?

-or-

Is the 2-disc set a streamlined version of the
4-disc set?

I would guess that we will be buying both sets.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Ron, this is just my opinion, but after following the link, it sounds like the 2 discer will have different ones than the 4 discer, i could be wrong though.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
It is my understanding that the cartoons on the 2 disc set are among the larger quantity found on the 4 disc set. The 2 disc is aimed at "Family" audiences whereas the 4 disc is aimed at the adult/collector's market, and accordingly has all the killer added-value stuff.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I just read the specs for the golden collection and this baby is packed! I'm definetly going for the 4 discer. Though is worries me that they're reporting these to be 4:3 transfers here. I'm guessing they're just speculating. Hopefully these will be uncensored.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
this is great.

First Disney cartoons now Bugs Bunny.
ALL MINE!

I'm old fashioned and like to show a cartoon or two, and a short film before the "feature presentation." I have to admit that some of my cartoon choices were not very popular with my friends and family. These will fix that problem for sure!
Dave
If you like to do this, then you need to order some of those Drive-in DVD's with count down clocks and intermission ads.
http://www.drive-infilm.com/2000/dvd_video.htm

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, so, thus far, I am guessing that if you
buy the 4-disc set, you don't need the 2-disc
set as the content is shared.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Someone expressed concern over the aspect ratio of the transfers. All Warner cartoons were shot flat* though starting in 1953 their title and credit cards, at least, were formatted to accomodate expected theatrical projection matting. None were made in Cinemascope.

*"Lumber Jack Rabbit" was made in 3-D, but that's a different story.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Paul is 100% correct. The only WB cartoons photographed specifically for "widescreen projection" were the recent shorts done in the late '80s and forward.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Full list of extras for the 4-disc set posted here. The 2 discs in the Premiere Collection are identical to discs 3 and 4 of the Golden Collection.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Man that is some SERIOUS extras. I wonder how often these waves will come?

But this is awesome, and far beyond my wildest expectations (isolated music tracks? commentaries?)!

Super well done, Warner!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Paul Penna wrote:
Someone expressed concern over the aspect ratio of the transfers. All Warner cartoons were shot flat* though starting in 1953 their title and credit cards, at least, were formatted to accomodate expected theatrical projection matting. None were made in Cinemascope.
Absolutely true, so far as I know, but several MGM Tom and Jerry 'toons were shot in CinemaScope, and WB, it seems, now controls these and plans to release them in sets next year. I presume this will tie in with their Looney Tunes sets, and it's very important that each CinemaScope short be not only restored, but anamorphically enhanced. Several recent feature releases (including titles from WB and Disney) have included both live action and animation CinemaScope shorts, which I appreciate, but they've been presented in shoddy quality, and have not been anamorphically enhanced (the animated short on Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea comes to mind, and an "MGM band performs ..." live action CinemaScope short has popped up on a couple of WB releases of late). I wish they were taken first from better sources, and then presented with the full DVD spec resolution made possible by anamorphic enhancement, though as bonus features I can understand why such effort was not undertaken (it was probably difficult to justify the expense). However, I fully expect all animated shorts shot in wide ratios will be so enhanced when they make their appearance in collector sets -- and in the (I believe unlikely) event anyone making these decisions at any of the studios thinks animation fans (and short subject fans) don't really care, count me among those who do. Very much. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks