What's new

A Dribble of News about ENTERPRISE (I) (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
the second episode of the season, entitled "Anomaly".
Ah, those evocative Berman-Trek names. Nothing says "bold" like a name that could describe roughly 150 TNG/Voyager/Enterprise episodes. I see they've even dispensed with using the definite article, as if they somehow know that this is a theme they will later revisit.

::sigh:: I wish I had more to contribute to discussion of Star Trek than mockery. I really do.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Same here. But sometimes one must laugh in order to keep from crying. Meanwhile, diggin' those TNG and DS9 and TOS discs. Star Trek used to be such a hoot. Why, when I was a kid...

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

150? I think I stopped watching around #30.

I prefer the more poetic/Shakesperian titles, like TOS and Babylon 5. Not the bland titles to match the bland episodes OF Berman-Trek.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I just finished DS9 Season 3 on DVD.. and it struck me how well thought, well played, and -different- the series was. I'm struggling to find anything about "Enterprise" that is unique enough to pique my interest.

The title "anomoly" about suits it up.. I thought the same thing.. I look at the titles of DS9 after Berman largely left (season 5 on) and you see some unique ones.

"...Nor the Battle to the Strong "
"He Who is Without Sin"
"Wrongs Darker Than Death Or Night"
"Treachery, Faith And The Great River"

Anyway, the thing is, Enterprise has yet to find what makes it unique.. which is odd, because the whole thing, by it's existance, should be very unique.. but instead, it plays as very re-gurgitated.. and manages to drum up plot lines from current series.

Dear god, bring back people who care about Trek.. too bad almost all of them went on to better jobs where they have more artistic say :frowning:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"Tacking Into the Wind" was always a provocative episode title. It's going to be a long half month until the next DS9 box is out. :frowning:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I have a question: If this were not a Trek affiliated show, how many of you would keep watching? From what I've seen, I can't find anything except franchise loyalty that keeps people coming back.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I admit, I'd probably be totally gone (as it is, I ignore episodes where Berman and/or Braga get a writing credit). And even still, franchise loyalty can only bring me so far - I bailed on the last few seasons of Voyager. Enterprise is frustrating in that I can see potential peeking out around the edges, and I get the impression that some of the writers would do nifty things if not held back (Sussman & Strong tend to sneak tons of little references in there, and would probably do a good Trek-history show; Shiban seems to do well with the space opera).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Adam, I admit to watching Enterprise solely on franchise "loyalty." It's silly, I know, and I'm not going to defend it.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Surprise suprise, an Enterprise thread that doesn't devolve ever so quickly into a group-bashing of the program. I've never seen *that* before. :rolleyes:

I, for one, and am looking forward to season 3 of Enterprise. They've introduced an interesting concept (yes, I consider it interesting), and I'd like to see how it evolves.

Do I think that the show is a stallar example of great storytelling & direction? No. Do I think that Seasons 1 & 2 represent the best the series might have to offer? No. Are Berman & Braga the best candidates for the job? Probably not. Have I found a handful of the episodes to be disappointing? Yes. Have I enjoyed the majority of the episodes? Yes. Do I think they can make season 3 interesting, intriguing, and enjoyable? Yes!

I will be tuning in. If you don't feel that the program is worth your time or energy, exercise your right as a viewer and depress a key on your remote that will either change the channel, or turn off the power to your television.

Moe.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I agree with most of what you said, Moe. I don't tune in just because I'm a fan of former Trek. I find it entertaining. If the worst it is is bland, that's okay. Besides old sitcoms and news programs, it's the only thing I watch on TV. In other words, it's the only new programming I watch at all. Maybe it's because I have nothing against which to judge Enterprise, but it's worth the weekly tune-in. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Adam, I admit to watching Enterprise solely on franchise "loyalty." It's silly, I know, and I'm not going to defend it.
I'm not asking you to. It wasn't meant as an insult; simply an observation. Sort of like how I rarely enjoy the Simpsons any more, but keep coming back every week. The memory of something awesome can be a powerful thing.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Adam, don't worry, I didn't take it as such. My post was more of a (non-belligerent) response to the point that many have made in this forum: if we dislike the show so much, why watch it? My point is that makes a lot of sense.

Since I have ReplayTV, I don't have to be home at a certain time to watch it. If I would, I wouldn't bother.
So, without commercials, it's only 45 minutes a week. I'm not really "losing" anything.

Moe, all I can say to your point is that it is difficult to not compare Enterprise to the previous Treks. Maybe we shouldn't, I don't know, but if they didn't want it to be associated with the franchise, they shouldn't have placed it in that universe.

As nerdy and silly as it sounds, Star Trek means a lot to some of us. Yes, it's just a TV show (or 5 TV shows), but they really are (or were) something unique, visionary, and special. And when the latest edition of it is not up to par, fans will naturally get incensed. Just check out the many thousands of words dedicated to the last two Star Wars movies to see the same thing.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Ive read on trekweb also that they are casting a new sexy Army/Navy type to add more appeal to the the show.
Like we need another Woman in a tight suit to get ratings up.
We need better writing, something B&B or Paramount will never understand.

I used to tune into Voyager based on franchise loyalty and I just cant do it any longer.

Enerprise is just not good enough to watch just because past Treks were good.

I am exercising my right not to tune in and apparently allot of other people are too.
The show is tanking in the ratings and up against Smallville this season it has to show more than titilation to get more viewers.

Frankly I am tired of people saying if you dont like it dont watch it. I feel that as a Trek fan of over 30 years I deserve to say that a once good franchise is crap now because I want Good Trek to watch and I am not getting it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There was a piece on the Trekweb site where Berman is quoted from a British Trek magazine where he talked about Enterprise going up against Smallville which I just saw today. Someone above mentioned this too. Does this mean that the show is moving to Tuesdays? He was talking about how some felt the demographics of the two shows are different and that there shouldn't be an issue of losing more audience, while he also mentions others who say the demographics are similar and it will hurt the numbers of viewers. Interesting, I had not heard the show would be moving.

The other interesting subject was how he felt that the Nemesis DVD is number one. He was delighted, but didn't need to see that to know that the movie was good. I think he and the cast really felt they had a good product there, but Jonathan Frakes is probably right in his opinion that there is just too much Trek out there now. With all the TV shows on the air now, from all incarnations of Trek, the audience probably feels it can see it for free, why see the movie?

I myself am interested to see what is in store for this season of Enterprise. They may really blow it or have the same ole' or surprise the audience with some coo stuff.

nelson

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
StarTrek.com posted a huge news item about "The Xindi", the S3 premiere. The new Navy Seal-type unit on the ship will be called MACOs, "Military Assault Command Operations," led by a Major Hayes who will be played by Steven Culp (who was supposed to be the new first officer at the end of ST:Nemesis but had his scene cut).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks