Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else underwhelmed by what they've seen of Tomb Raider 2?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 05:59 AM

I think the commercials are so lackluster and border on irritating. They might as well call it Generic Summer Action Movie 2. But then again Angelina Jolie doesn't do anything for me. She looks like a genetic hybrid combined to make an uberwoman. I'd be surprised if this movie makes $40 million on opening weekend.

#2 of 27 Ron-P

Ron-P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 06:04 AM

Looks worse than the first, if that's possible.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#3 of 27 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 06:12 AM

There's one slo-mo shot in which she's(I think) rolling on the floor and firing her guns and it just looks so ridiculous. As if she's giving birth or something. The look on her face is a contorted and twisted mess! It's like this Posted Image combined with Posted Image and a ponytail.

#4 of 27 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 21,769 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 06:19 AM

Quote:
Generic Summer Action Movie 2

Sounds like a quote from the great promo that IFC is running in theaters, where patrons are trying to buy tickets for such titles as "Visually Stunning But Ultimately Pointless Sequel" and "Buddy Movie Featuring Stars With No Chemistry" (those quotations may not be exact, but they're close).

Quote:
Wife: "Visually Stunning But Ultimately Pointless Sequel" is sold out. Let's try something else.

Husband: But I really wanted to see "Visually Stunning But Ultimately Pointless Sequel".
Great stuff. Posted Image

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 27 Travis_W

Travis_W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 06:29 AM

I thought the first film was terrible and I was a fan of the games. After the movie I lost interest in the Tomb Raider franchise and this one just confirms it. First action film this summer that I'll wait for the DVD. I think this film will bomb at the box office and really belive that Spy Kids 3D will be the victor of that weekend.
I am Jack's empty signature bar.

#6 of 27 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 06:43 AM

Travis you might know more about this: does Lara have a British accent in the game or is it just for the movies?

#7 of 27 Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 07:11 AM

Yes, she is British in both the game and the movies.
"Safe? Who knows what's safe? I know a man who dropped dead from lookin' at his wife. My own grandmother fought the indians for sixty years, then choked to death on lemon pie."

#8 of 27 Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 07:19 AM

Jolie nailed the character better than anyone who was a fan of the games could ever imagine, but unfortunately, the first film was mostly pure drek. The second one might actually be better but it would have to be A LOT better to get me into the theater to see it this time! And I'm a huge fan of the games and of the character, AND of HER! Posted Image

-Dennis
He must have died while carving it!...

#9 of 27 KyleK

KyleK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 08:43 AM

I agree that this film looks awful, but there is one shot in the trailer that really stunned me. Its the one where they are freefalling with those little wing suits off of the skyscraper.

Mmmmm.....visually stunning but ultimately pointless.....Posted Image

KylePosted Image

#10 of 27 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 09:01 AM

Ok, Kyle I have to ask because that shot of them jumping off the building looks so mediocre to me. I mean they're jumping off a building and I'm guessing they have parachutes. What about it stunned you? Posted Image

#11 of 27 KyleK

KyleK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 09:23 AM

I thought it would be fun to do.:b

I don't know, something about the sunset city and the wide shot looked like it was people actually doing it for real, then the close shot above them with the shadowed city below just seemed kinda cool to me. I'm sucker for Visually Stunning But Ultimately Pointless Action Movies. The rest of the preview however, looked dreadful.

Anyone know where the freefall was shot?

#12 of 27 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 09:38 AM

I'm looking forward to it, but that's because I'll get to see it for free. I'm not expecting a good movie, just some neat stuff blowing up while a hot chick runs around in slow motion, but do people really expect more than that?

#13 of 27 Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 11:21 AM

Hated the first one and have no desire to see the second...but Speed helmer Jan de Bont is directing this time, so maybe it won't be so god awful after all.

#14 of 27 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 12:57 PM

Wait, how much money did the first one make? I can't believe after the first one that a sequal is even warranted and people actually thought it would be a "good" idea.

#15 of 27 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 01:00 PM

I think the first one broke even in theaters (had an amazing opening, like $50 million, then it went downhill fast).

#16 of 27 Tony-B

Tony-B

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 01:16 PM

In case any of you are interested, here are the box office stats for the first one. http://www.the-numbe...2001/TOMBR.html.

I think that a $274,500,000 worldwide gross would be enough to warrant a sequel. Though, Morgan is right about it dropping really fast after the first weekend.

I liked the first one. It was a fun little popcorn flick. It's got boobs and things that go boom. What more does a man need? Posted Image
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#17 of 27 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 11 2003 - 01:19 PM

It was a fun little popcorn flick. It's got boobs and things that go boom. What more does a man need?
Something more, apparently, or Charlies Angels 2 would be the biggest film of the summer instead of one of the big boobs...er, bombs. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#18 of 27 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,306 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 01:50 PM

Quote:
I'd be surprised if this movie makes $40 million on opening weekend.
Man, we just take those ridiculous grosses in stride nowadays, don't we?

I think Paramount might have done well if they'd released it earlier in the season; when I first saw the trailers I was at least a little curious, despite having utterly despised the first one. Now, though, I've seen the same lifeless preview too many times, and the summer's big guns (Hulk, T3, etc.) have made it look small. It may well wind up being a decent movie, but what interest I may have had is gone.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#19 of 27 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 01:57 PM

This summer movies like X2 and Matrix Reloaded entertained me because not only were they great popcorn flicks filled with lots of action but they were smart and had something to say. Now I'm spoiled when it comes to sequels. Movies that just offer action and T&A like TR2 or Charlie's Angels 2 don't hold any attraction for me either in theaters or at home on DVD. I'm pretty particular(snobby?) when it comes to movies but that's just me. Posted Image I don't go to movies just to see a movie. It takes an awful lot to drag my butt to a theater.

#20 of 27 Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 08:34 PM

The screenings held on Monday revel a much better film than the impression you all have (so far.)

It is considered much better than the first film and the movie focus's on plot and script to drive the action... Not the other way around this time.

If those who are TR fans, you will not be disappointed, for those who are not... I think you might be surprised how good this film is (entertainment value wise).

Dugger
Check out - CONFESSION

Coming Soon to the Dare To Direct CHILLERTV contest!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow