What's new

Judas Priest Reunites (1 Viewer)

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Here is the CNN article

CNN Judas Priest

Although i'm not a big fan, its nice to see the band back.

I was reading about a month ago when rumors were flying around that the band was going to reunite and the band denied the whole story and was fully behind Ripper as their lead singer. I assume pretty disappointing for Ripper.

Paul

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Not knocking Ripper, but there is no substitution for Rob Halford. It will be interesting to see where the new album goes. A return to the early days would suit me fine.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, I heard a Halford cut on XM radio the other day (Resurrection, or something? I didn't get the title).

It absoluetly kicked ass.

I can't help equate this to the movie Rock Star. Art immitating life immitating art?

Nahh. Thats not right. Halford would have to join Riverdance for that!

BGL

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
This is so great! I loved Judas Priest and refused to follow them with Ripper.

They gave one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Still remember Rob riding his bike out on stage, and later, the perfectly in-sync fist-pumping unison of the arena floor was absolutely unforgettable seen from the lower loge above.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Brian,

I would recommend you pick up both of Halford's releases, they are outstanding.

This is very cool news indeed.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Excellent! I've always regreted never seeing these guys in concert. Now it looks like I will have my chance. Rock Hard, Ride Free!:emoji_thumbsup:

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
There are few bands I regret never seeing live. One was the original Van Halen lineup. The other was Rob Halford-led Judas Priest. At least I may get to see one of them live.

David R. Hendrickson

Stunt Coordinator
you guys don't know what you missed. :) i saw them every tour from SFV on (not with ripper). the Turbo show was one of the best ever.

it'll be great to see rob with the band again. Priest shows always did some serious ass-kicking.

:emoji_thumbsup: :star: :emoji_thumbsup: :star: :emoji_thumbsup: :star: :emoji_thumbsup: :star: :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I vote for a return to the 1977-1982 days. I can do without the speed-metal stuff they were doing near the end with Rob... :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree with Kevin. It would be nice to hear something as innovative as most of Sad Wings, Sin After Sin or Stained Class.

H

Hank

Awesome news! Can't wait to catch them next year. I also can't wait for Monday July 21st as I will be seeing Iron Maiden along with Motorhead & Dio. :)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
This is great, but I do feel bad for Ripper. After watching the live in london dvd I just can't get over how powerful his voice is. He nails all the high notes with such ease, and I swear he is never off tune.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Interesting to say the least. I saw Priest with Ripper last year and it was a snooze-fest. Nothing against Ripper, but he's no Halford.

That said, I highly doubt that they'll step back in time to what they were doing in the 70's. Rob was always one to push the boundaries and I think that's one of the reasons that he left the band in the first place. His albums with Fight and Halford are excellent albums and very heavy. "Painkiller" is one of my favorite Priest albums, although I haven't heard many of the early albums from beginning to end, I much prefer the heaver, faster stuff. It seems to suit his voice much better.

I'll definitely be interested to hear what they come up with, but at the same time I'm getting really tired of old bands getting back together for "One More Hurrah" as they usually sound tired and boring, and they're usually just at it for "One More Dollar"

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While the production may not be as heavy as it is today, Priest had no shortage of fast songs in the past, but to my ear they were more innovative than they are today.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend you pick up both of Halford's releases, they are outstanding.
Thanks for the tip. I picked up Crucible, and like it a lot. FWIW, I absolutely hate speed metal, and while some of these cuts truck along pretty well, this ain't what I would call speed metal. They actually have riffs and choruses that you can remember.

It inspires my to want to dial up the Boss Metal Zone patch in my distortion modeler, and try to cop some of the riffs!

Damn good backing band, and pretty well recorded as well (not always the case with this genre of music).

And without question, Halford has one of the all time greatest voices in rock.

BGL

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have a question: they say something like all original members. Who's the drummer? I vote for Les Binks. Nothing like the phat (hee, hee) acoustic sound he got on Hell Bent for Leather.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm a big Priest fan, but I didn't even hear about Rob returning! In fact, I heard something on the radio today about them touring with Ozzy, but I kind of dismissed it, thinking it was still Ripper. If they come to Dallas, I'll have to go.

FWIW, I absolutely hate speed metal, and while some of these cuts truck along pretty well, this ain't what I would call speed metal. They actually have riffs and choruses that you can remember.
The last one with Halford--Painkiller--was one of the few times Priest swerved towards speed metal for about half of that album. For the most part, you would have to call their music "melodic metal."

Shame about Dave Holland, though.

A little about Ozzfest:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=18531

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks