Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

M*A*S*H Season 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 AllanN

AllanN

Supporting Actor

• 952 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 02:38 AM

Has anybody heard about the specs of this season? Specifically if there is a play all option? According to amazon.com its scheduled for release on July 15th.
“Aquaba is over there, it’s only a matter of going.” –Lawrence "I am not now, nor have I ever been a psychologist" -Mumford
"...you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't, who falls our of a chopper or why. It ain't up to you. Its just war." -Hoot
"Fear is the path to the dark...

#2 of 43 Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 02:58 AM

Please not another "I'm-too-lazy-to-push-two-buttons-between-episodes-thread". Posted Image

#3 of 43 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 03:35 AM

Is this any sillier than complaining about cover art or snapper cases? (I rank it between the two.)

For what it's worth, when I interviewed M*A*S*H TV series creator Larry Gelbart, his sole complaint about the DVDs--other than that Fox didn't ask him to contribute to them--is that they don't have a play-all feature.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#4 of 43 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 04:32 AM

Sounds like the set-up for Season 4 will be the same as the first three seasons: all episodes remastered and uncut, with the optional removable laugh track, and no extras.

Which reminds me... did anyone catch the A&E Biography special on M*A*S*H last night? Nothing much I haven't seen before on other specials, including the 90's special "Memories of M*A*S*H" and the "M*A*S*H" reunion special, though there was some good behind-the-scenes footage used that I hadn't seen before, along with a rare series promo with Alan Alda, Harry Morgan, and Gary Burghoff, and a brief clip from "After M*A*S*H" in which
Father Mulcahy regains some of his hearing after losing it in the series finale
. These documentaries, outtakes, and bloopers would make good additions to the season sets.

Yet nothing was mentioned about the "Radar" one-shot spinoff or the "Trapper John M.D." spinoff series. The only reference to "M*A*S*H" was in the very first episode, in which
Trapper calls out Hawkeye's name in a dream before waking up from the dream
. Then it just goes on from there.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#5 of 43 AllanN

AllanN

Supporting Actor

• 952 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 05:02 AM

Quote:
Please not another "I'm-too-lazy-to-push-two-buttons-between-episodes-thread".

Quote:
Is this any sillier than complaining about cover art or snapper cases? (I rank it between the two.)

Obviously it is a gripe among the fans especially seeing as:

Quote:
For what it's worth, when I interviewed M*A*S*H TV series creator Larry Gelbart, his sole complaint about the DVDs--other than that Fox didn't ask him to contribute to them--is that they don't have a play-all feature.

Its just a pain. I imagine it is easily implemented. Especially for the people who just want to play it in the background.

The cover art I could care less about.
“Aquaba is over there, it’s only a matter of going.” –Lawrence "I am not now, nor have I ever been a psychologist" -Mumford
"...you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't, who falls our of a chopper or why. It ain't up to you. Its just war." -Hoot
"Fear is the path to the dark...

#6 of 43 Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 03:24 AM

I picked up a copy of Season 4 at Removed last night (they must have put them out a little early). Specs are the same as previous seasons... no play all feature.
Walt Disney Treasures - Disney DVD Inserts

#7 of 43 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,382 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 07:07 AM

Play all features aren't necessarily mentioned on the box.

I was at a store last night and was being helped in their lockup area for box sets. I noticed that they had MASH S4 sitting in their, "for sale" as it were (this was a glass display on the floor, not a lockup area in the back room).

I saw that it was $10 more than I'll be able to buy it for on Tuesday, so instead of nabbing it I just mentioned to the salesman that this was put out before street date. He checked the computer and verified it, mentioned that it had arrived on 6/27 ( Posted Image ), and said he was pulling it until Tuesday.

He showed his appreciation by giving me a $5 coupon good toward my next purchase. The coupon doesn't cover DVDs, unfortunately, but heck I'll want a cd or something else they sell sooner or later. So that's cool. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#8 of 43 Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 02:00 AM

Is the first episode the originally aired 50-minute episode or has it been split into two episodes like it was for later airings ?

#9 of 43 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 02:31 AM

Quote:
Is the first episode the originally aired 50-minute episode
Yes, It's one episode.

#10 of 43 John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 06:14 AM

Quote:
no play all feature.
I probably won't even bother with a review of it, then. This season is most likely going to be no different than the others. I might as well say, "Just check out my reviews of the other MASH seasons."

:sigh:

#11 of 43 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,897 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 07:32 AM

Question...

I own all the MASH boxed sets to date, but have
had absolutely no time to watch them.

A questions about Trapper John leaving the show....

From sheer memory, I realize that at the end of
Season III we lost Henry Blake when:

his plane crashed during the trip home

Season 4 introduces to the new commander, Henry
Morgan.

But how and when did Trapper John leave the show?
What were the circumstances of his leaving (and then
being replaced by Hunnicut?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#12 of 43 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 07:55 AM

This is my first HTF post, so I hope I don't mess this up.

In the First Ep. of Season 4, we see Hawkeye returning from R and R and we find out when Hawkeye finds out that while he was gone, Trapper was given his orders to go home. So, Hawkeye leaves camp, and tries to catch him to say goodbye before his plane leaves, and ends up missing him by about 10 minutes. But, where Trapper left from, is also where BJ was to be picked up.

So, that's pretty much it, and I'd like to note that the E is missing from my last name, not that it matters for anything though.

#13 of 43 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 08:22 AM

the first few BJ, Potter, and Winchester years were my favorites of this show.
it felt like they finally hit their own pace and until the last few seasons, when they became insufferably sanctimonious and preachy, it was some truly fine entertainment.

i've resisted picking up the first three seasons, but this is one i'll be there on tues. morning for.

#14 of 43 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,897 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 08:47 AM

Sounds like the actor that played Trapper John
suddenly left the show without doing a "goodbye"
episode.

There's a funny joke in one of the episodes of
Family Guy where they make reference to how
good a show M*A*S*H was until Alan Alda started
directing episodes which suddenly became preachy.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#15 of 43 Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 09:21 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the actor that played Trapper John suddenly left the show without doing a "goodbye" episode.
Yup. Ron, in lieu of the lack of bonus features on the DVD's, the book The Complete Book of MASH is a good help in answering some of these questions.

I picked mine up at a garage sale and it's been a nice companion in watching the series.
Walt Disney Treasures - Disney DVD Inserts

#16 of 43 Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 08:44 PM

I got this today and from the first disc the first episode started to block and then pixlate. Anyone else having problems? My players are the Malata n996 and the Sony 9000ES.

#17 of 43 Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 01:14 AM

Wayne Rogers left because he couldn't stand Gary Burghoff. Apparently they got into some very heated arguments...
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#18 of 43 Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 06:58 AM

Quote:
I got this today and from the first disc the first episode started to block and then pixlate. Anyone else having problems? My players are the Malata n996 and the Sony 9000ES

I just watched the first episode on a Sony player and there were no problems - looks like you got a faulty disc.

#19 of 43 James L White

James L White

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 07:35 AM

Quote:
I got this today and from the first disc the first episode started to block and then pixlate. Anyone else having problems? My players are the Malata n996 and the Sony 9000ES.
no probelms here either Posted Image
Samsung HL-S5688W 56" DLP
Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV (bedroom)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD's
Panasonic BMP-BD60
Sony BDP300 Blu Rays (bedroom)

#20 of 43 Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 12:47 PM

Just to answer my own problems. It seems on the Malata there are problems, but on the Sony I tried it again and no problems. Thank you for your answers.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow