What's new

HT sound(primarily) for TV watching?? (1 Viewer)

Jackie..w

Auditioning
Avid tv watcher needs sound!!I want a HT system that will enhance my tv listening.I want something that will make sports,football,racing etc,better.I have a Phillps 55"tv,digital(no hdtv),not surround sound.I use Direct tv sate.for my primary viewing.Great picture,but it needs sound.I could care less about a DVD player(movies),as I watch very few movies.It's been at least 4-5yrs since I rented a movie.I am also a avid sports radio listener thru the day.Tv is on but sound off during weekday.Just craving that good enhanced sound for the football season.I use s-video out of my sate to tv and rca jacks(sate) to tv for sound.So who has the answer for me??My living room size is about 12x15.I want to stay in the $500-700 price range.I am currently considering a Denon system,most post deal with dvd's etc.,I just want a great sounding Tv for sports!??!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Have you searched for Websites that cater to sports fans who crave "better sound"? Perhaps you'll find the answer at one of them.

Agustin

Agent
any HT even low end would just be fine, active Prologic, and sporst, movies will improve the sound

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Here's what I did to improve my TV sound for less than $200. I bought Klipsch's ProMedia 2.1 computer speaker system (http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?Cid=103) and hooked it up to the TV's audio out jacks (with an adapter from Radio Shack). The speakers are like $170 and you can get them most anywhere (Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc). They sound great, have awesome bass, and are vastly superior to the speakers on a normal TV. Give it a go. If you don't like it you can always return the speakers.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Several options Jackie. To begin Agustin is correct—almost any low end system will improve your sound. More ideas in ascending order of cost:

·For $500 you could get an inexpensive, but still very good 5.1 sound system like the Acoustic Research HC6 (can now be found with effort for about $300 or anywhere for $400). Another $200 will be enough for a receiver to drive this. Run the R/L outputs from your DirectTV STB to the receiver inputs and you will get pretty good sound. You will even get Dolby Surround for those events that have it encoded. You are in at ~$500
·Get a new DirecTV STB. There is a Hughes model that has an optical, digital output and handles 5.1 DD sound. Run this to your receiver and you will get 5.1 sound for those events that have it. And if you think that there are not any, the increasing telecasting of sports in HD is also causing an increase in 5.1 sound for some of these events. These can be found for ~$125. You are now at $$625 and will have great sound.
·Buy an HD STB instead of my suggestion (about $500). This will give you 5.1 sound and you will now be ready to move up to HDTV for the upcoming football season. Of course there is the minor matter of now needing a new TV, but hey what price sports?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks