What's new

Subwoofer for JBL NSP1 II - are PB10/12 reliable? (1 Viewer)

Jorge Rod

Agent
Hello!

I was planning to get the JBL NSP1 II system with the PB10 or PB12 subs, but have then read several reviews about users having AMP issues with these subs (stop working) plus humming noises when left in stand-by mode. Is there a real quality issue with these units? If so, what sub woofer can I get to work with these speakers at a similar price point ($200 - $300 sub)?

I will be using this system in my living room (20 x 20) with a Denon 2803.

Thanks!

CharlieC

Stunt Coordinator
You could try Yamaha YST-SW 320, which does not have the AMP problem and is in the price range. You could also try Velodyne CHT-8

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I was in a similar position as you are - I liked the performance/value of the PB12, but was weary of the said amp problems. After extensive research on the web and contacting harmanaudio for some questions, they informed me that the amp was redesigned and only "older" units were affected. I went ahead and purchased the PB12 new from jandr about a year and a half ago, with no problems at all. I would probably stay away from the refurb units you will see floating around, though...good chance you might get one of the "old" units.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Jorge,
I agree with John. I own the PB12 and am very happy with its performance so far. I have owned it for about a year now and I purchased it when the amp problems were at their peak. I did get a dud on the first try but I had it sent back and JBL contacted me through the BB where I purchased it (via a letter). They explained that they had experienced amp problems with this model and they were replacing the amp with a newer "version", whatever that means. That particular BB had a lot of returns on this model so I think they were a little fed up with it too. That may have contributed to why Harman and JBL were so responsive. The BB store manager had gotten involved in this one. Anyway, it took about a week and a half to get the sub back, which really isn't that bad. I love the subs performance at this pricepoint. I got the sub for a little over $200.00 with a four year sevice plan at BB. The bass is tight and musical and not boomy at all. I must say that, at this price, the newer "versions" of this sub are hard to beat (again I say- at this price). I would definitely beware of refurbs from dealers that you are not familiar with. If you check out Harman Audio here you can usually find some reliable deals on this sub. If you email them, they can tell you more about the specific sub they are selling. Also I feel somewhat obligated to reccomend BB with this item because they really did support me on this one. Good luck, MM.

RickMo

Stunt Coordinator
Jorge >> I too contacted JBL tech support in New York. Yes, the earlier versioned amps had problems but it's been fixed. I believe serial numbers starting with HA are the new and improved version. Serial numbers starting with AM are the old versions and prone to the much bandied problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks