What's new

Effect of Y-Adapter to Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Pete Austin

Agent
Hey All,

Along time ago I heard somewhere on this forum that if you attached a y-cable to split the subwoofer signal into both the left and right inputs of the sub that it would increase the output. I own an SVS PC+ 20-39 and to say that I was pleased with the output having only a single input connected would be an understatement. As many of you probably know Cobalt Cables just had their July 4th sale which I used as justification to test this y-cable theory. In short, I experienced a HUGE difference in output as soon as I installed the adapter to both inputs. After recallibrating I went from 1/2 gain at the SVS to 1/3 gain. I have absolutely no idea why I'm getting such an increase in ouput. Is this normal.? Am I risking the integrity of the signal by splitting it? If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Assuming that I am not ruining the signal in any way this is the best $12 that I've put into my system ever. Thanks.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Pete:

When you install a Y splitter on the sub cable, all you are doing is doubling the strength of the input signal. You can expect a 3 dB increase in sound pressure.

You can also accomplish the same thing by upping the sub level in your pre/pro or AVR.

The Y splitter (of course) does not in and of itself provide any additional performance or sound pressure that could otherwise be exploited by increasing the sub volume control, the sub level in the pre/pro, or the master volume. You have 525 watts to play with in the PC+ and you can cut it anyway you want, but its still 525 watts.

The only time I recommend a Y splitter is if you are experiencing a "sleepy" auto-on circuit that would otherwise require you to crank your sub level in the pre/prop or AVR well into the positive region to get satisfactory auto-on performance.

Regards,

Ed

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Ed said it very well. You have just walked in a big circle and ended up in the same place- except you now have 2 friction RCA connectors to fail instead of one, and you are $12 poorer.

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
Ed nailed it, I got similar response from Tom of SVS, only after I purchased my Y-splitter.. Oh well, gonna throw it into storage (I'd rather crank a sub a notch than have any connector to have the singal go through and possibly degrade....
Ed for HTF president!!!

terence

Supporting Actor
Again Ed is on point like Stacy Adams! I have a 20-39PC+ too and while looking for that perfect spot in my HT. One corner place the sub too far away, so i added the Y-adapter that came with the Monster sub cable for x-tra length. I notice that my output jumped big time! It was fun for awhile, but i took it off because i ended up in another corner. I may have gained an increase in output but like what has been already said you can make that adjustment on the back of the sub as well.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I use a Y connector on my velo mostly for the auto-on response (much quicker) and I also noticed an increase in volume. I wouldn't consider the Y cable a waste of money, If you need to increase your volume on the amp, with that comes a bit more distortion (maybe not audible but it's there), so for $12 bucks, what the heck !! go for it.:emoji_thumbsup:

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
I believe there gonna be more distortion from using the splitter..
If u run a quality sub at 76% of volume rather than 74-75%, there won't be any more distortion..

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
With a splitter, I notice sound pressures increase quite a bit. The store had used a y spitter when I demo'd the sub. Had to turn down the gain knob quite a bit. I did this thinking the base would some how get better. It didn't, so I remove it for the fear of signal lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks