Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Did Brent Spiner or Patrick Stewart ever win an Emmy?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 08:02 AM

I'm making my way through the entire run of STTNG (thanks summer vacation!) and am stunned with how good these performers are. I had already seen 99% of the episodes when they were originally in syndication, but I never got to see them in the correct order (things make so much more sense ... especially the Tasha/Sela stuff). Stellar show... I can't really understand why there was so much animosity for Will Wheaton's character. He seemed a decent enough actor. And she was Ashley Judd's first on-screen kiss... =)

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,726 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 09:04 AM

No, neither of the two won an Emmy for their work on TNG. As for Wil Wheaton's character, it's the fact he is played as such a glass of milk: a little goody-two shoes Pollyanna used as a moralist foil for making points about social issues (rescreen "The Outrageous Okana" and you'll see what I mean). That, and the fact that his character was there strictly for broadening TNG's appeal to children (who were never fans of TOS).

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 10:00 AM

Wesley Crusher was a total "glass of milk", as Jack put it. Damned annoying, and poorly written for a goodly portion of his appearances. Not to mention how annoying it was that the Starfleet officers with YEARS of experience were unable to solve "problem A", but young brilliant Wes could do it. Argh.

Wil Wheaton, on the other hand, is a pretty cool guy. (I read his blog now and then.) And anyone who got to kiss Ashley Judd gets points in my book! Posted Image

Patrick Stewart should have gotten MANY acting awards for TNG.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 10:12 AM

Patrick Stewart never won an Emmy, but he was nominated for his role in the 1998 version of Moby Dick.
My Collection

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 03:19 PM

Thanks guys. Were they ever even nominated? It's a real shame that they didn't. Their performances were excellent. Ah well, I suppose the $100k/episode and $5M/film is its own reward. =)

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 03:53 PM

No; I think TNG's only non-technical nomination was for "Best Series" during its final season.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 10:31 PM

Jason, that depends. Do you consider cinematography technical? But TNG was never nominated for writing, acting or directing. It did get the single best drama nomination, though.
My Collection

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 06:48 AM

Stewart should have been nominated for both "Chain of Command Part 2" and "The Inner Light" He usually gave a stellar performance on the show, but these two were above and beyond. Ric

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 07:42 AM

Actually, one of the problems with Wil was, that at one point, they thought 'Hey, lets have Wesley save the ship.' So they wrote a bunch of 'Wesley saves the ship' scripts for consideration. Then, the screenwriter's guild went on strike, and suddenly, *all* they had were 'Wesley saves the ship.'

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 07:51 AM

Is "Chain of Command" the one where he's interrogated by the Cardassian? "There are... four lights!" Goddamn that was great. FWIW, Wesley Crusher was the direct creation of Gene Roddenberry. The character was supposed to be Gene imagining himself on the Enterprise.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 04:58 PM

Don Black wrote (post #1):

[quote] [quote]
I direct you to the "Why is there such hatred for Wil Weaton (Wesley Crusher)?" thread, especially posts #25, #34, and #40.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 09:15 PM

Rex: Thanks! I forgot about that thread. Especially post #7 where I responded... Posted Image I'm getting senile in my young age!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users