What's new

Did Brent Spiner or Patrick Stewart ever win an Emmy? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
I'm making my way through the entire run of STTNG (thanks summer vacation!) and am stunned with how good these performers are. I had already seen 99% of the episodes when they were originally in syndication, but I never got to see them in the correct order (things make so much more sense ... especially the Tasha/Sela stuff). Stellar show... I can't really understand why there was so much animosity for Will Wheaton's character. He seemed a decent enough actor. And she was Ashley Judd's first on-screen kiss... =)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, neither of the two won an Emmy for their work on TNG. As for Wil Wheaton's character, it's the fact he is played as such a glass of milk: a little goody-two shoes Pollyanna used as a moralist foil for making points about social issues (rescreen "The Outrageous Okana" and you'll see what I mean). That, and the fact that his character was there strictly for broadening TNG's appeal to children (who were never fans of TOS).

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Wesley Crusher was a total "glass of milk", as Jack put it. Damned annoying, and poorly written for a goodly portion of his appearances. Not to mention how annoying it was that the Starfleet officers with YEARS of experience were unable to solve "problem A", but young brilliant Wes could do it. Argh.

Wil Wheaton, on the other hand, is a pretty cool guy. (I read his blog now and then.) And anyone who got to kiss Ashley Judd gets points in my book! :D

Patrick Stewart should have gotten MANY acting awards for TNG.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Stewart never won an Emmy, but he was nominated for his role in the 1998 version of Moby Dick.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Thanks guys. Were they ever even nominated? It's a real shame that they didn't. Their performances were excellent. Ah well, I suppose the $100k/episode and $5M/film is its own reward. =)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Jason, that depends. Do you consider cinematography technical? But TNG was never nominated for writing, acting or directing. It did get the single best drama nomination, though.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Stewart should have been nominated for both "Chain of Command Part 2" and "The Inner Light" He usually gave a stellar performance on the show, but these two were above and beyond.

Ric

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Actually, one of the problems with Wil was, that at one point, they thought 'Hey, lets have Wesley save the ship.' So they wrote a bunch of 'Wesley saves the ship' scripts for consideration. Then, the screenwriter's guild went on strike, and suddenly, *all* they had were 'Wesley saves the ship.'

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Is "Chain of Command" the one where he's interrogated by the Cardassian? "There are... four lights!" Goddamn that was great.

FWIW, Wesley Crusher was the direct creation of Gene Roddenberry. The character was supposed to be Gene imagining himself on the Enterprise.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Rex: Thanks! I forgot about that thread. Especially post #7 where I responded... :D I'm getting senile in my young age!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks