What's new

Universal - Classic Monsters, when? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I am sure this will probably get re-routed to an earlier thread somewhere but wonder when Universal will release the moratorium on their Classic Monsters movies series on DVD? I am in th market now to buy them but not willing to pay the inflated ebay prices. I see the VHS versions are still available so why not DVD?

John Watson

Screenwriter
I've seen speculation (?) that they will be re-released at the time a forthcoming telling of Van Helsing's story is issued.

I only want 3 or so of the ones I didn't initially get, and hope that perhaps the price will be lower then.

:)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I didn't upgrade my LD's to the DVD's because Universal didn't do any type of restoration on them.

All they were, were the same prints used for the LD's, but that much older. It wasn't worth $20-25 for a couple of extras on them that were in poor shape. :thumbsdown:

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Universal is indeed planning a MASSIVE re-launch to tie into their VAN HELSING film in May.
Let's hope they release some new titles along with the old such as Island of Lost Souls, The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Black Cat ...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm not sure if it's Universal, but I would love to see "Murders in The Rue Morgue". I've never found it on video.

Hopefully they will re-release the double features at a more economical price. These were selling for $39 Cdn, way to much, (Truth About Charlie/ Charade sells for $22)
Or better yet, they'll stick the double features in a box set.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Murders in The Rue Morgue is indeed Universal. I'd like The Black Cat and Man Made Monster, plus all the others that haven't been released (or have been and I haven't gotten).

Roger, where did you hear this? I see you're in Studio City, so you must be in the know!

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
In addition to the above I'd also vote for "House of Horrors" (featuring Rondo Hatton as "The Creeper") and "House of Dracula", which was overlooked the first time.

Don't forget about a twin bill highlighting the two "Creature from the Black Lagoon" sequels.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
You took the words right out of my mouth, Paul... I have every single Universal Monsters DVD released so far, and it just kills me that those Creatures sequels are missing. I almost did the unthinkable recently: I was halfway through ordering them on VHS online, then came to my senses just in time.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

agreed. Their Hammer titles would would also be most welcome such as Brides of Dracula, Curse of the Werewolf, Twins of Evil, etc.

In fact Brides of Dracula would be the perfect tie-in for Van Helsing.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I will buy pretty much any of the Monster titles they put out (reasonably priced of course!) Don't forget about the remaining Invisible Man titles!

Haveing just read David Skals book "The Monster Show" has really got me thirsting for classic monster movies!

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
A copy of Universal's Classic Mummy just arrived today from CD (video) universe, ordered about a week (or less) ago. I looked hard for it awhile back, and was glad to come across it. Price was normal, even discounted a bit, not inflated.

DL

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I seem to recall reading somewhere online, a horror movie site/board, most likely, that Universal would reissue their classic horror titles to coincide with "Van Helsing."

The bad new is that the discs won't have any special features and come with new cover art. :frowning:

Granted, it's unconfirmed at this point, and it hope it isn't true.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Dan...

A copy of Universal's Classic Mummy just arrived today from CD (video) universe, ordered about a week (or less) ago. I looked hard for it awhile back, and was glad to come across it. Price was normal, even discounted a bit, not inflated.
You must have gotten their last copy? I see one copy of Frankenstein left though.

For me, Frankenstein holds less interest than The Mummy or The Creature From the Black Lagoon. These two have stayed in my mind more so over the others.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm damned glad I bought all when they first came out. To re-issue them without extras would be tragic.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm damned glad I bought all when they first came out. To re-issue them without extras would be tragic.
Same here! Wave one had some of the most informative commentaries and docs I've seen.

I don't think that wave 2, the double feature DVDs, had any bonus material, so hopefully they will come out at a budget price. I couldn't imagine that they sold well, considering that the titles were more appealing to the fanatic as opposed to the general buyer.

James Reader

Screenwriter
The "Double Features" were actually Wave 3.

Wave 1 was just Dracula, Frankenstein, The WolfMan and The Mummy.

Wave 2 followed a year later and was The Invisible Man, Bride of Frankenstein, Phantom of the Opera and Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My mistake on the waves! I missed wave one, but bought the Box set when wave 2 came out (still the favorite set I own!)

I'm praying that wave 3 gets put in a box, as it would look great on the shelf!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks